Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to adjust the drive belt on my 15RGS. I've seen videos saying the nut is 1-3/8 or 1-7/16. I am having a very hard time finding either open ended wrench or socket in those sizes.
I then read that the bolt is 36mm in size. I need help determining the correct bolt size.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I believe it's a 36mm, at least they have been for the last several years. You will need something of the same size to hold the welded side of the axle when you adjust it, otherwise the cam adjuster on the axle has a tendency to move, throwing the belt out of adjustment. There is a flat 36mm axle nut wrench available to purchase at a fairly cheap price if you're so inclined. Just do a search for Harley axle nut wrench, etc. It makes it easier to get to the nut with the mufflers in the way. If all else fails, 2 large crescent wrenches can be used. It's best to check the belt deflection when the bike is cold, with the riders weight on the bike, so you may need to get someone of similar weight to sit on the bike, or a buddy that can measure the belt deflection while you sit on the bike. Don't get it too tight otherwise you run the risk of premature belt and sprocket wear.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was able to get a 36mm socket at Harbor Freight pretty cheap. The socket was in 3/4” drive and I don’t have a 3/4” drive torque wrench but, HF also had a 3/4” to 1/2” drive reducer so I was able to use it on to my 1/2” drive torque wrench.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Also a good auto parts store has a good selection of bigger sized wrenches and sockets if you can't find the tools somewhere else. Sockets that big are usually 3/4 drive so the adapter from 3/4 to 1/2 in needed.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I use both of these tools when changing the rear tire.

You probably need to remove the pipes if you ever need to get the axle out. You can probably get by with just the Pit Posse tool, a torque wrench and a big Crescent wrench just to adjust the belt tension:

https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-PP2585-Motorcycle-Davidson/dp/B004MTK39S

A deep well 1/2" drive 36mm six point socket helps.

https://www.amazon.com/DR-32MM-Impact-Socket-Molybdenum/dp/B075J2GZM5/ref=sr_1_16?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1514139707&sr=1-16&keywords=36mm+socket

·
Registered
7 Posts
HD sells a wrench which fits that nut. Its part of the RG tool kit, but it's a pain in the ass to use. On the handle end, I cut a 1/4" square hole using a dremmel for use with a rachet or 1/4 drive "flex" bar. It works beautifully on the road or in the garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts