Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I finally got around to installing apes on my new RG Ultra. I went with 16" Burly Apes. I have a couple of friends with 14" Wild1's so I tried to be a little different. Actually grip hight is similar to the Wild1's due to the different pull back and drop. I went +10" on the clutch and brake lines to keep then in the original positions. I dont care to run the clutch cable behing the forks cause it tends to run on the tank that way. As for the wiring, the left controls were ok but I had to extend the wires on the right controls and the fby.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
828 Posts
Very Nice. Im going with apes on new RG too. how tall are you, and where does the 16" ers put your hands in relation to your shoulders.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Very Nice. Im going with apes on new RG too. how tall are you, and
where does the 16" ers put your hands in relation to your shoulders.
I'm 5'8" and the bars put my hands just below shoulder height. Was only able to go on a 50 mile ride this morning because the wind was getting to be a bit too much but I can tell that its going to be way more comfortable then the stock bars. The bike will look better when my 14" WindVest windshield gets here tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Looks good,.. feels good to have your arms up in the wind. :D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

The wife and I took the RGU for a 300 mile ride this morning. Gotta say, the apes are way more comfortable then the stock bars. No shoulder or back pain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi TMD, Thanks for posting the photos. I've been debating the ape height on my new road glide. I have Burly 18's on my softail and like them, but the RG is a different frame and look. Your photos helped a lot. I think I'll go with the 16's. A couple questions. Do you recall the actual length of the clutch and brake cables you used? Also, did you buy an extended TBW cable, or cut and patch the existing cable? I was hoping I could buy an extended cable. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bugs I installed Magnum Shield clutch and brake lines and went with +10" and they fit perfectly when routed in the oem position. As for the wiring I just cut and splice extension in where needed. I also soldier and install shrink tubing over each splice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts