Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished these mid-summer but too busy riding to post! :D

Thanks to those that I contacted and were cool enough to share some info about their own handlebar builds... helping to reduce my own number of headaches while I did mine. And of course, a raise of the whiskey glass to DONK and his stickies. Nice job, man.

Couple more pics on the way....

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you! I've been looking for pics with 16" Gangters forEVER! I've been going back and forth between the EVIL and the Gangsters, but you have made up my mind. My favorite apes by far on the RG!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Did you have to change the risers? THey have a note on the site stating that the stock risers do not work.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Did you have to change the risers? THey have a note on the site stating that the stock risers do not work.
Could be wrong but I think thats only for pre 08 bikes. Had something to do with the clamp being two pieces. You need a one piece clamp so the bars don't "play" as much.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Look great but have a question.

I want to go 16" but plan on getting a solo seat that might drop me a little .. for example a Lepera barebone or Danny gray. How tall are you? I'm right at 5'9" and want to be comfortable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I love these bars and the first time I rode them with the ISO Dually Trident HW pegs I threw on - it completely changed the feel and ride of the bike. I'm 6'4" and NEEDED to stretch out a bit. I've been in love with my RGC since day one. But I gotta admit every time I'm on it now, it's nothing but a big shit-eating grin from ear to ear. Someone mentioned the price and yeah they were pricey, I hear you. But, they were the ones I had to have and I knew what I was getting into with the install. If I was going to do it, I was going to get the ones I really wanted...and the 16"x1.5" Gangsters were it.

I wanted to get the pics up (better late than never) because I too had a hell of a time finding pics of an FLTR(x) with these bars. But if you look real hard, you should be able to find a pic of a Silver CVO with chrome 16" Gangsters. I have it saved on my other computer. If you can't find it on your own give me a shout and I'll see what I can do to post it. Actually, I'm pretty sure I saved it from these forums.

As far as what I used, here's what worked for me...

Alloy Art Gooden Tight bushings - don't even waste your time or money with anything else. I wasted both the FIRST time I switched out factory bushings for polyurethanes and ended up breaking it back down and replacing the bushings AGAIN with the Gooden Tights. Take it from me, it's more than a little disheartening when you think you have it just about buttoned up only to discover way too much flex in the bushings. The Gooden Tights are rock solid.

All of my extensions were by LA Choppers; wire extension kit LA-8991-01, TBW extension kit LA-8999-00, and cables kit LA-8050KT-16B. Feel free to dbl check this before making your order. I'm just looking over my invoices as I reply to this and no longer have the original packaging.

There was a question about the riser...You do have to change the riser clamp if you go with 1.5" diameter bars. Again, LA choppers comes through and offers this one piece clamp for our FLTRs. You can probably find it in Dennis Kirk or J&P. It's for the same reason that's been mentioned - it replaces the 2-piece stock clamp (stability) and also accommodates the greater diameter bar.

I have pretty good reach and actually had these originally rocked about another 1" forward more than they are now. But, ended bringing them back to where you see them in the pics currently. I think I could have went with 18's. But for me, apes have to be straight up (a hair away from forward) and thought the 16's would fit me better and allow that positioning. They're exactly what I wanted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts