Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
16 RGU 4000 miles. Noticed the bike not downshifting to 1st on occasion. Now can't downshift to 2nd or 3rd at times. 95% of the time it shifts perfect. Taking it back to dealer next week. Just thought I'd get some input here. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
612 Posts
16 RGU 4000 miles. Noticed the bike not downshifting to 1st on occasion. Now can't downshift to 2nd or 3rd at times. 95% of the time it shifts perfect. Taking it back to dealer next week. Just thought I'd get some input here. Thanks in advance for the help.

When does it happen ? While moving or is it when you come to a complete stop before downshifting ? A lot of times if you come to a stop first then try to downshift you will have to double clutch it to get into first. I always downshift and give a little blip of the throttle [ rev match ] to avoid this common issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This happens as I am gearing down as I slow down. I've tried up shifting then downshifting, rocking the clutch and even some four letter words. Can't find anything that helps. Lots of throttle and slipping the clutch gets me going again. At the next stop or turn it works fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the dealer do the 1K. Don't think they changed the fluids. Even though my bike isn't in the recall the dealer is going to change fluids first. As irratic as the problems is I don't think the fluids will make any difference.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There's currently a recall on several of the touring and softtail bikes for potential issues with the master cylinder:

Open Recalls

NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: 16V-471Recall Date Jul 08, 2016

Last UpdatedSep 02, 2016

Harley-Davidson has learned that the hydraulic clutch system with black master cylinder part numbers 36700049B, 36700056B, 36700146 and 36700186 on certain model year 2016 Touring and Softail model motorcycles may exhibit a condition in which it may lose the ability to generate enough lift to disengage the clutch after being parked for an extended period.

Model

2016 Road Glide Ultra

Safety Risk

If this condition remains undetected it could lead to a loss of control of the vehicle when started in gear or first shifted into gear after being parked for an extended period.

REMEDY

Owners of the affected motorcycles will be asked to arrange service with an authorized HarleyÂ*Davidson dealer, who will confirm that the motorcycle is covered by this recall. If covered, the dealer will inspect the clutch master cylinder for the presence of gas in the fluid. If there is gas in the fluid, thedealer will flush the clutch system with the recommended wash solution and rebuild the clutch master cylinder using the recall kit provided. This service will be provided at no charge to the customer.

We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Had the dealer do the 1K. Don't think they changed the fluids. Even though my bike isn't in the recall the dealer is going to change fluids first. As irratic as the problems is I don't think the fluids will make any difference.
Changing all three fluids (engine oil, primary oil, and transmission oil) is required at the 1k service :wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After recall bike shifts completely different. No down shifting problems so far but haven't ridden much. Now with it running and in gear and clutch pulled in I can back it up.

As far as where the gas is coming from. Beats me. I heard something about using the wrong hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
After recall bike shifts completely different. No down shifting problems so far but haven't ridden much. Now with it running and in gear and clutch pulled in I can back it up.

As far as where the gas is coming from. Beats me. I heard something about using the wrong hydraulic fluid.
I'm about 99% sure that when they refer to "gas" they are talking about vapor, not the liquid fuel version. I'd call it signs of aerification instead of gas. That probably confuses everyone.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, maybe they called it gas because air would indicate a leak somewhere. It's still confusing how anything but hydraulic fluid would be in a master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
My 2015 RG was included on the original clutch recall on the 2015 models. Dealer performed the recall work before delivering the bike. But still 5K later the clutch fluid was a greyish - brown instead of being clear. When I drained and refilled the clutch master cylinder there were a ton of suspended contaminants in both the fluid and at the bottom of the reservoir. I think I mentioned it earlier but it almost looked like graphite or something.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My 2015 RG was included on the original clutch recall on the 2015 models. Dealer performed the recall work before delivering the bike. But still 5K later the clutch fluid was a greyish - brown instead of being clear. When I drained and refilled the clutch master cylinder there were a ton of suspended contaminants in both the fluid and at the bottom of the reservoir. I think I mentioned it earlier but it almost looked like graphite or something.

Had the same issue and went back a 2nd time to the service manager and showed him the color and i knew it wasnt right, but since then i have flushed it myself and will keep my eye on it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts