Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
16 RGU stock tires. Any thought on what might be causing this? On both tires just outside of either side of center. About 6500 miles on them now. Had the bearings checked and was told they were good. I keep very good check on the pressures. Noticed a small "buzz" in my hands when I lean off vertical either way. Doesn't seem speed related nor anything to do with gearing or clutch in or out.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Probably the start of some cupping, my guess. Might try increasing the air pressure a couple of pounds, it can affect the tire wear. What sort of weight do you run? We're pretty much running close to the limit unless going to the restaurant, on the way back probably at the limit :laugh:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
16 RGU stock tires. Any thought on what might be causing this? On both tires just outside of either side of center. About 6500 miles on them now. Had the bearings checked and was told they were good. I keep very good check on the pressures. Noticed a small "buzz" in my hands when I lean off vertical either way. Doesn't seem speed related nor anything to do with gearing or clutch in or out.

Mike
i'm new to my 16 RGS and experience the same off-center buzz, same mileage. never had the sensation with my heritage.
these tires are Dunlop D408F 130/60B19 (low profile) series, where the RGUs are D408F 130/80B17 series.
they're dual compound also, with a harder compound in the center of the tire for better wear.

i've seen dealer videos where they run 40 psi in the front and 45 psi in the rear, but don't like that jackhammer effect lol.

i've also heard that if you use a "hard" front brake in the corners it can cause cupping.

anybody???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably the start of some cupping, my guess. Might try increasing the air pressure a couple of pounds, it can affect the tire wear. What sort of weight do you run? We're pretty much running close to the limit unless going to the restaurant, on the way back probably at the limit :laugh:
will try increasing the pressure. I'm running book pressure now. weight wise i'm pretty close to max as well since a good bit of the miles have been for overnight stays

·
Registered
360 Posts
will try increasing the pressure. I'm running book pressure now. weight wise i'm pretty close to max as well since a good bit of the miles have been for overnight stays
Are you using a quality air pressure gauge? I tested several cheap ones that were as much as 10+ pounds off. Most of them read low. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Looks to be heat related which usually means too low an air pressure for the weight on the tires. Check your tire pressure first thing in the morning on cold tires. That is the only time you should be setting your air pressure.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
from Dunlop's website:

"...there are steps that can be taken to minimize cupping and uneven wear on a motorcycle: Maintain your motorcycle and particularly your front and suspension. Avoid hard braking whenever possible. Braking causes the tire to grab and wear in one direction. When braking is applied to the front tire, the load transfer over-flexes the tire and increases the tendency for cupping and uneven wear. Maintain your tire pressures. Under inflation and overloading of motorcycle tires are significant causes of cupping and uneven wear, particularly in association with hard braking and/or trailer use."

This, however, doesn't address the "buzz" in the handlebars just off full vertical...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've come to realize that I'll never get more than 7,000 miles out of a D407 rear tire, and not much more than 9,000 out of a D407 front tire.

My issue is not maintaining proper tire pressure, it's aggressive riding... strong starts and threshold braking are not compatible with Harley-Davidson's tread design for their Harley-branded Dunlop tires.

I've gone through three sets of D407s on our 2013 Road King CVO and switched to Metzler 880's and then 888's. They've worked well on the Road King.

Just swapped out wheels on our '17 FLTRU after 2,000 miles on the Dunlops for some chrome Slicer wheels and Metzler 888's. However, not sure the Metzler's play nice with the FLTRU and may have to see if the Dunlop American Elite's will work better. The D407s... I know how that will end up and just about when too.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am running Michelin Commander II's on my bike. I've had the exact same issue with the buzzing feelings thru the handlebars and grips when slightly leaning off center on either direction. I only have about 6K miles but I've been feeling it sine almost the beginning. Some road surfaces are worse than others. I am starting to think it was due to low tire pressure. I had an issue where the air in the front was leaking out of my 19" agitator wheels. Come to find out it was due to some chrome peeling not allowing a proper bead to seal on the rim. I don't know how long I rode with little to no pressure on the front tire. I am hoping when I replace the front, that buzz will go away.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am running Michelin Commander II's on my bike. I've had the exact same issue with the buzzing feelings thru the handlebars and grips when slightly leaning off center on either direction. I only have about 6K miles but I've been feeling it sine almost the beginning. Some road surfaces are worse than others. I am starting to think it was due to low tire pressure. I had an issue where the air in the front was leaking out of my 19" agitator wheels. Come to find out it was due to some chrome peeling not allowing a proper bead to seal on the rim. I don't know how long I rode with little to no pressure on the front tire. I am hoping when I replace the front, that buzz will go away.
I was told that when you lean one way or the other you are putting stress on the belts in the tire. Stress on the edges of the belt and this the noise/buzz is the result.

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/images/14-04-30_tireGuide-radial.jpg

·
Registered
474 Posts
We are not talking leaning into a turn or anything of that much of an angle. We are talking about the slightest move off of dead center on the front tire and we can feel a buzz or vibration thru the handle bars. The lean is not enough to make the bike even move within the lane its on. There is no buzz feeling when cornering or making and real turns.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
We are not talking leaning into a turn or anything of that much of an angle. We are talking about the slightest move off of dead center on the front tire and we can feel a buzz or vibration thru the handle bars. The lean is not enough to make the bike even move within the lane its on. There is no buzz feeling when cornering or making and real turns.
Once it's cupped it will do that and increasing the air pressure slightly will help (some) to remove the cupping over time. The cupping can be felt when lightly rubbing the tire in the direction or opposite direction of tire rotation. It can be the rear tire that is the problem and it is just felt in the 'front', check both tires. The Commander IIs we have are very sensitive to air pressure and performance. The recommendation to check the tire gauge for accuracy is very critical. Altering tire pressure by small amounts can make a large performance difference, especially on heavy touring rigs!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts