Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I have a 2020 rod glide special in scorched orange silver flux. I am looking at putting on the fat front tire kit. However I am having a hard time deciding if I want the 21” or just the 18” ? Any ideas or opinions will be appreciated

thanks
Wrenches

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Think that will come down to your preface. I've thought about doing both of them myself, and back and forth.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Congrats and welcome to your cool kids forum from Gettysburg...Big fan of the 21s so you have my vote...again welcome and ride safe...Any pics of the new sled?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Welcome to the forum, for me I would do the 18 inch.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have gone back and forth about this for my own bike. I already have the 18" fat tire kit but had looked at switching to a wider one. Here is the only thing that stopped me; I like to ride my bike and I have some out of state trips planned. With the 18" fat tire, if I were to get a flat, any shop will have a bagger rear tire in stock. No one, that I know of, stocks a fat 21" tire. That means I would probably have to keep a backup tire at the house and if I were to get a flat on a trip, I would need my wife to ship it to me, wait for shipping and then have it installed. That seemed like a lot of extra money and hassle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have gone back and forth about this for my own bike. I already have the 18" fat tire kit but had looked at switching to a wider one. Here is the only thing that stopped me; I like to ride my bike and I have some out of state trips planned. With the 18" fat tire, if I were to get a flat, any shop will have a bagger rear tire in stock. No one, that I know of, stocks a fat 21" tire. That means I would probably have to keep a backup tire at the house and if I were to get a flat on a trip, I would need my wife to ship it to me, wait for shipping and then have it installed. That seemed like a lot of extra money and hassle.
Well that is a great point. I never thought about getting a flat tire on it while on a trip. I too plan on riding this bike a fair bit as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here is a pic of the machine
2020 special, stage 2 kit, Reinhardt exhaust, Rockford fosgate 4 speaker system, 14” bars, and a bunch of other little upgrades.
Nice Scoot, Awesome Color did you go with the torque or horsepower cam with the stage 2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice Scoot, Awesome Color did you go with the torque or horsepower cam with the stage 2
I had the torque cam on my 17ultra so went horsepower on this one. Can’t wait to get it out on the street. Hopefully will have the fat front tire on it before the season starts here in Calgary.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the torque cam on my 17ultra so went horsepower on this one. Can’t wait to get it out on the street. Hopefully will have the fat front tire on it before the season starts here in Calgary.
Thanks don’t know what one I’ll choose if any thing really runs good. Would love to get up to Canada have not been there yet, tried twice once for snowmobiles once for bike and shit came up both times.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have gone back and forth about this for my own bike. I already have the 18" fat tire kit but had looked at switching to a wider one. Here is the only thing that stopped me; I like to ride my bike and I have some out of state trips planned. With the 18" fat tire, if I were to get a flat, any shop will have a bagger rear tire in stock. No one, that I know of, stocks a fat 21" tire.
Well that is something I didn't think about in my back and forth thinking...I'll just stick to the 18" fatty. Now to place that order.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I went with the 18 fat tire too. When I was deciding between the 18 and a 21 I was told that there are limited manufacturers of the 21 x 180 tires, and the quality of them is not great. That, plus what Crazy4Ink said and it was a no brainer to me to go with the 18 x 180. I’m still working on paint parts so I haven’t been able to ride it yet, but I LOVE the way it looks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was thinking of the same thing 18 fat or 21 and ended up going 18. Go 18

·
Registered
581 Posts
I can't speak for handling characteristics with the 180 but can share my experience with a 150 up front. I too liked the fat front look, but was not willing to step up cost wise for the 180 kit. Found you can put a 150 on a stock rim and was happy enough with that. I fooled myself into believing that handling hadn't changed. I think this can sometimes happen when we want something bad enough and invest in it. Anyway when the time came for new tires front and rear, before a multi state trip, an indy shop was running a special on in stock, stock sized tires. Amazing difference in handling was immediate. The bike felt so much lighter and more flick able. Now I don't know much about physics, but does the extra mass of a larger tire up front act like a gyro? If you've ever held one of these spinning things and tried to tip it, you know what I mean. Or maybe it was the difference in the profile of the tires. At any rate there was a very noticeable improvement in handling going back to stock size up front. Miss the look though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have built a number of these 180 front tire bikes, both here in Virginia and in Wisconsin, and have ridden on a bunch of different road types with them. I can honestly say that I will never have another bagger that doesn't immediately get this modification. Steerinhg feels lighter, bike is more stable, road snakes don't want to pull the bike, open grate bridges are a breeze, riding in rain feels more confident and cornering is improved. Remember when Fat Boys and Heritages had 130s front and rear? That's the feeling, but with my Road Glide. I use Pirelli Night Dragon tires whenever I build a fat tire bike because it's the only tire that is made and stamped with both a front and rear rotation arrow (some states this matters for inspection). I have used Avons and they perform well but the soft rubber doesn't hold up. I had a customer this summer come in on a fat tire road glide that I had built the year before. He bought his bike in the summer of '18 and had me do a fat tire before he took delivery. When he came in this past summer, it was for his 20,000 mile service already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have built a number of these 180 front tire bikes, both here in Virginia and in Wisconsin, and have ridden on a bunch of different road types with them. I can honestly say that I will never have another bagger that doesn't immediately get this modification. Steerinhg feels lighter, bike is more stable, road snakes don't want to pull the bike, open grate bridges are a breeze, riding in rain feels more confident and cornering is improved. Remember when Fat Boys and Heritages had 130s front and rear? That's the feeling, but with my Road Glide. I use Pirelli Night Dragon tires whenever I build a fat tire bike because it's the only tire that is made and stamped with both a front and rear rotation arrow (some states this matters for inspection). I have used Avons and they perform well but the soft rubber doesn't hold up. I had a customer this summer come in on a fat tire road glide that I had built the year before. He bought his bike in the summer of '18 and had me do a fat tire before he took delivery. When he came in this past summer, it was for his 20,000 mile service already.
Hey Crazy I want to clarify your build. I am assuming this is your bike in your profile pic. This is the bike you did the fat tire install on you tube? If so this included a 2” lowering ? I really like the way it closes up the distance between the fairing and fender.

I really appreciate all the input

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hey Crazy I want to clarify your build. I am assuming this is your bike in your profile pic. This is the bike you did the fat tire install on you tube? If so this included a 2” lowering ? I really like the way it closes up the distance between the fairing and fender.

I really appreciate all the input
The bike is built live on YouTube was sold the next morning; that’s not my bike, they just happen to be the same color. Lowering the bike is not at all needed when doing a fat tire kit, I just always do it close the gap and not have the fork tubE as visable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The bike is built live on YouTube was sold the next morning; that’s not my bike, they just happen to be the same color. Lowering the bike is not at all needed when doing a fat tire kit, I just always do it close the gap and not have the fork tubE as visable.
Ok thank you for clarifying. I think I am going to do the lowering portion as well. Now to get everything ordered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the cost of the fat tire upgrade on a 15? If you lower the front with the fat tire what’s the chances that the faring will hit the fender at full travel??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts