Road Glide banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
What is the cost of the fat tire upgrade on a 15? If you lower the front with the fat tire what’s the chances that the faring will hit the fender at full travel??
I won’t say the possibility is zero but I’ve never had one hit. I’ve even lowered the fairing with a drop bracket and never had it hit. As far as cost, it depends on what wheel you pick, lowered/stock height, which shocks you choose, paint, chrome or powder coat black, which tire, etc. I can give you a closer cost estimate with some more info.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I have gone back and forth about this for my own bike. I already have the 18" fat tire kit but had looked at switching to a wider one. Here is the only thing that stopped me; I like to ride my bike and I have some out of state trips planned. With the 18" fat tire, if I were to get a flat, any shop will have a bagger rear tire in stock. No one, that I know of, stocks a fat 21" tire. That means I would probably have to keep a backup tire at the house and if I were to get a flat on a trip, I would need my wife to ship it to me, wait for shipping and then have it installed. That seemed like a lot of extra money and hassle.
I have only known of two people who got front tire flats and in both cases they went down so I don't think finding a replacement tire was much of a concern. My research on this subject has led me to believe that the front tire kicks up the offending object which allows it to orient in such a way that it punctures the rear tire. The front tire flats were cause by debris that acted like tire spikes so there was not chance of deflecting it.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts