Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the trigger today on 18' apes, was going to go with Yaffe 10 monkey bars but drove a RG with 18 inch apes..... they are cooooool:) I like them straight up, always had drag bars but looking forward to a new style.... cruising with one hand on the throttle and one on my lap. Anyone out there agree?

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
Pulled the trigger today on 18' apes, was going to go with Yaffe 10 monkey bars but drove a RG with 18 inch apes..... they are cooooool:) I like them straight up, always had drag bars but looking forward to a new style.... cruising with one hand on the throttle and one on my lap. Anyone out there agree?
Cool! Cant wait to see em!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I love the big tall apes straight up as well. Its just a pain changing out cables n crap. Be sure to post up some pics when your done.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chainsaw I am a little technically challenged with this job, a lot different than the derbey cover advice you gave me:) Actually found a really good mom and pop shop that is going to do the job... hidden wires, braided cables, switch my chrome controls etc.... 425.00 total including the bars, funny thing though as I was leaving I noticed all the 1% patches guys were wearing... even the owner:eek:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
X-Cellent! You been hangn here TOOOO LOOOONG! LOL I just checked out your bike from your profile. They will b Beast! I saw a "NEW" red street glide the other day w/ kila wheels and X-tra Tall Apes. He painted his switch housings on the bars to match the red. It really stood out! Since ya got chrome allready,...ghummmm. I wont suggest that! Whats next?,... Wheels?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really thought 18 would be too high and hard to control but after the test ride they were easier to handle than stock and surprisingly comfortable plus they look real bad.... old school.

I have a matching inner fairing plus gauge housing that should be here in 2 weeks, going to stretch the front forks new rim and tire... kinda leaning towards a spoked wheel with custom paint matched spokes also going to lower the bike and do something to increase the speed... kinda sluggish. I have a custom c&c seat on the bike I don't think its on my gallery yet.

Seems like there is never an end to adding things to the bike, starting to get expensive but it keeps me out of strip clubs and all nighters which keeps the wife off my back:)

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Thats a good price for a complete install! Can't wait to see that bad boy done, its gonna look sweet.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chain you will get a kick out of this since I know black is your color, owner was trying to convince me to do black apes with the chrome controls and black grips, then he started telling me everything he would black out if it was his bike... too funny when he was done I would be better off buying a black bike:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Be sure to post some pics man - we are waiting!!:D

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
which 18" apes, the square ones for heritage/road king, dresser w/lower pullback or road glide style thinner?

yes, we wanna see pictures.

stainless clutch and brakes lines are a big improvement anyways.

how high above the shoulders? are you talking two inches or more?

on your bike the chrome controls will fit in, I'm avoiding chroming those on mine, intentionally, for now, will be popping on engine bolt covers this weekend on trans bolts at least, not sure about timing and derby bolts.

and will post some pics before and after. the kit was about $90, found and aftermarket kit later for about $55

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im 5'11'' and the bars sit about 3 inches above my shoulders, they are thick not thin... the thin ones dont look rite on the bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts