Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've done a lot of mechanical work over the years on snowmobiles, and cars. I've never done much to my bikes other than general service or handle bars etc... I am convinced that I can do a cam and exhaust upgrade by following the directions and watching a great video on youtube about installing an S&S cam upgrade that is very detailed.
My questions are around the torque specs and differences in the install since i am not putting in a new oil pump. I've read and read on this and feel that I don't need to upgrade the oil pump. I would like to put the 62400206 oil pump plate, however it's not available anymore now that Harley has a bulletin on this sump issue. I don't have the torque specs for this factory oil pump install and other's. I'm struggling paying for a manual and hate using my laptop to review the shop manual while in my garage working... Does anyone have a good article i can link to since i can't search "cam" on this site b/c it's only 3 letters... Also are there any other videos you can recommend for a first time cam install? I am buying the inner bearing removal/install tool. Also putting in the S&S lifter cuffs. Also buying an ebay cam gear locking tool.

Encourage me that i can do this.... lol.

BTW. I'm getting the entire package thru Fuelmoto. They will send me a pre-programmed Power Vision tuner that i may get dynoed afterwards any way...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel Moto usually sends a CD with their stuff, suggest contacting them for help.
Ok... Because their installation instructions leave out a lot of important info... The video on youtube on the S&S cam install had a lot more details, but had torque specs on the new S&S oil pump... not reinstalling the original one....

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Just bought a shop manual for the M8. Should be in this week. If no one answers ya I'll get the torque specs for ya

Reactions: RoadglideJ

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just bought a shop manual for the M8. Should be in this week. If no one answers ya I'll get the torque specs for ya
Thank you. Where did you get yours and how much? Also, it seems that on other vehicles there are the shop manuals and the service manuals.... one is in depth, the other goes in the garbage... Is what you ordered a shop or service or both?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
a) Buy a manual, its the best money you will ever spend on that scooter.

This is not a job you can do with "general hand tools". You'll need a sprocket lock and tools to deal with the cam bearing. And if you are going to bottom load the tappets back into the guides, you should have a set of tappet holders.

The cam bearing depth has to be measured before you remove it, then the new one seated to the same depth.

b) As far as I know, the 62400206 rear cover is still a good number. Its oem for 19's and back fits 17 and 18's. There may have been a part number change with the 20's that again back fits the older scooter, but I haven't seen a 20 parts book yet. Speak with a dealers parts manager about it.

With that said, pull the crank sensor out of the case and see how much oil you catch, more than 4oz and you need to do something with the pump.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a) Buy a manual, its the best money you will ever spend on that scooter.

This is not a job you can do with "general hand tools". You'll need a sprocket lock and tools to deal with the cam bearing. And if you are going to bottom load the tappets back into the guides, you should have a set of tappet holders.

The cam bearing depth has to be measured before you remove it, then the new one seated to the same depth.

b) As far as I know, the 62400206 rear cover is still a good number. Its oem for 19's and back fits 17 and 18's. There may have been a part number change with the 20's that again back fits the older scooter, but I haven't seen a 20 parts book yet. Speak with a dealers parts manager about it.

With that said, pull the crank sensor out of the case and see how much oil you catch, more than 4oz and you need to do something with the pump.

Thanks for your reply. I understand the need for the specialized tools. I'm ordering the removal/install tool (which from my understanding will drive the new bearing in to the proper depth???). Also the cam gear lock. The video on youtube shows how to get by without buying tappet holders/magnets.

I will pull the crank sensor and check the amount of oil that comes out. Thank you for this.

As far as the part number, it doesn't show up anymore as a valid part number since they came out with the bulletin that addresses the sumping issues.... I'll call my dealer and ask them about it though.

Thx again for your help... and i just ordered a manual... :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your reply. I understand the need for the specialized tools. I'm ordering the removal/install tool (which from my understanding will drive the new bearing in to the proper depth???). Also the cam gear lock. The video on youtube shows how to get by without buying tappet holders/magnets.

I will pull the crank sensor and check the amount of oil that comes out. Thank you for this.

As far as the part number, it doesn't show up anymore as a valid part number since they came out with the bulletin that addresses the sumping issues.... I'll call my dealer and ask them about it though.

So here it is... the new part number for the oil pump cover. The old number 62400206 is replaced with 62400245. $27. You were correct. Thank you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here it is... the new part number for the oil pump cover. The old number 62400206 is replaced with 62400245. $27. You were correct. Thank you.
And now i'm reading that this new cover is not interchangeable with the old pump....lol. oh boy..

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Bought the shop manual straight from Harley. Not sure how much it was. I'll know when I pick it up.

Reactions: RoadglideJ

·
Registered
3,124 Posts

Nope, you have to measure the depth and duplicate it. Face of the bearing to the face of the cam plate mounting surface, or the plate of the bearing tool. Evidently there is some variance in the castings at the rear of the cam chest.

Here is a link to something you can print.

https://www.sscycle.com/docs/default-source/instruction-sheets/510-0467-chain-drive-cams-m8-20170328a.pdf?sfvrsn=2

·
Registered
10 Posts
So i've done a lot of mechanical work over the years on snowmobiles, and cars. I've never done much to my bikes other than general service or handle bars etc... I am convinced that I can do a cam and exhaust upgrade by following the directions and watching a great video on youtube about installing an S&S cam upgrade that is very detailed.
My questions are around the torque specs and differences in the install since i am not putting in a new oil pump. I've read and read on this and feel that I don't need to upgrade the oil pump. I would like to put the 62400206 oil pump plate, however it's not available anymore now that Harley has a bulletin on this sump issue. I don't have the torque specs for this factory oil pump install and other's. I'm struggling paying for a manual and hate using my laptop to review the shop manual while in my garage working... Does anyone have a good article i can link to since i can't search "cam" on this site b/c it's only 3 letters... Also are there any other videos you can recommend for a first time cam install? I am buying the inner bearing removal/install tool. Also putting in the S&S lifter cuffs. Also buying an ebay cam gear locking tool.

Encourage me that i can do this.... lol.

BTW. I'm getting the entire package thru Fuelmoto. They will send me a pre-programmed Power Vision tuner that i may get dynoed afterwards any way...
How did the swap go?

IS THERE ANHYTHING SPECAIL WAY TO START THE BIKE AFTER THE INSTALL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts