Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello as you can see im moving from a fatboy to a roadglide!

I have had two fatboys a 15' and a 19' but the 19' was a mistake. I should have got a Roadglide in the first place. I traded for a 2018 Road Glide Special (White) w/ slip-ons bars and aftermarket LED lights.. I remember seeing it the first time and thought it was the sweetest looking bike ever. Looking forward to being in here.

I do have a quick question, I have witnessed and heard the entire radio is slow. Are there options to swap out the "headunit" and put something else in there faster and keeping the GPS?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Welcome. Was it the super fat rear tire/wheel that made the '19 Fat Boy a mistake? The Fat Boy was the only new softail that I rode where I turned around and came back after the first set of curves. o_O

What I do on my '18 is turn the bike to accessory while I am getting ready to ride and then pop it over to ignition and start it up. Sometimes I just have to start riding and let the GPS catch up with me. LOL!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. Was it the super fat rear tire/wheel that made the '19 Fat Boy a mistake? The Fat Boy was the only new softail that I rode where I turned around and came back after the first set of curves. o_O
I actually thought the Fatboy handled well, I could turn alot sharper without scrapping anything, i tried. I actually thought the bike handled really well, I just wanted the GPS, Sounds, bags, and the bad ass shark look.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Congratulations & welcome from Arizona!

The slowness is only at boot up. There are aftermarket options. Are you that unhappy with it? What is the benchmark that you are after? That would help with you getting some good responses. It'd suck to spend $700 and only gain 5 seconds of boot time as an example.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My benchmark is the newer Garmin Nuvicam GPS in my truck and the built in GPS in my RAM 2500 that I had. Those are both slow compared to my wife's new iPhone as an example. It's never caused me to miss a turn or want to shell out $.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had to find the link for this. My buddy across the street was going to install this into his RG. He never did but he wanted the Apple CarPlay and ultimately decided it wasn't worth it.

The only thing about this setup.......it's claimed to be water-proof. I don't see that claim on Sony's website when I looked at the Sony part number specs.

Our radio's are in the direct sun, subject to water and dirt, high thermal loads under the non air-conditioned fairing and still function reliably by and large. It's a super tough environment!! My wife's & my cell phones both cut off if left on the table in direct sun due to heat. I think the newer OEM Boom GTS unit may be a nice upgrade and would be tested for this extreme environment better than a product not specifically designed for this application.

Some folks may chime in if you start another thread titled "seeking replacement radio" or such as well. Maybe even a thread search. Good luck to you....again - welcome!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome. I’m looking to add a 2018 FatBoy 114 to the stable eventually. I had Harley’s Boom GT-S radio in a 2015 Limited recently. Much, much better then the GT that comes in the 2014-2018 Touring bikes. It’s plug and play now with a software update.

I’m looking to add it to my 2017 RoadGlide Ultra. My dealer matches Utah Harley’s prices so it’s $300 cheaper then buying directly off of Harley’s website.

Ride safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to find the link for this. My buddy across the street was going to install this into his RG. He never did but he wanted the Apple CarPlay and ultimately decided it wasn't worth it.

The only thing about this setup.......it's claimed to be water-proof. I don't see that claim on Sony's website when I looked at the Sony part number specs.

Our radio's are in the direct sun, subject to water and dirt, high thermal loads under the non air-conditioned fairing and still function reliably by and large. It's a super tough environment!! My wife's & my cell phones both cut off if left on the table in direct sun due to heat. I think the newer OEM Boom GTS unit may be a nice upgrade and would be tested for this extreme environment better than a product not specifically designed for this application.

Some folks may chime in if you start another thread titled "seeking replacement radio" or such as well. Maybe even a thread search. Good luck to you....again - welcome!
Hey Dan,

I read all your post. Awesome! I have seen the unit itself is slow and you have to wait for each screen to load when you click things. I have read that the 2019 unit is 100 times better and faster, good point on the environments i have seen that Sony option as well. I don't think I wold get GPS unless it was coming from my phone at that point (Android or Apple Auto)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome. I’m looking to add a 2018 FatBoy 114 to the stable eventually. I had Harley’s Boom GT-S radio in a 2015 Limited recently. Much, much better then the GT that comes in the 2014-2018 Touring bikes. It’s plug and play now with a software update.

I’m looking to add it to my 2017 RoadGlide Ultra. My dealer matches Utah Harley’s prices so it’s $300 cheaper then buying directly off of Harley’s website.

Ride safe

So from what I understand I can take the new Radio from the 2019-2020 models and swap into my 2018?

·
Registered
155 Posts
@Slyguy41 I just have to ask.......was it worth $1700 & why if so? I understand money is not an object if you really want it and that's good enough. My wife knows that I've spent enough $$ on my bike already. I'm just curious how you justified it in your head or what problem you were trying to resolve. I'm genuinely asking. Technology evolves so quickly and entertainment tech like a head unit evolves really quickly. My 2017 Indian Chieftain had a stellar head unit with a great TPMS and engine monitoring!

Maybe this will help the original OP & me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Welcome, I went from a 2002 FatBoy I ordered brand new back in 2001, loved it for the looks and riding a few years, now I cant stand to sit on it after going Gliding in 2018

Good move you wont regret the new ride

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome, I went from a 2002 FatBoy I ordered brand new back in 2001, loved it for the looks and riding a few years, now I cant stand to sit on it after going Gliding in 2018

Good move you wont regret the new ride
Anyone I have talked to, said they got a bagger and never looked back. I think I’ll feel the same!

·
Registered
96 Posts
@Slyguy41 I just have to ask.......was it worth $1700 & why if so? I understand money is not an object if you really want it and that's good enough. My wife knows that I've spent enough $$ on my bike already. I'm just curious how you justified it in your head or what problem you were trying to resolve. I'm genuinely asking. Technology evolves so quickly and entertainment tech like a head unit evolves really quickly. My 2017 Indian Chieftain had a stellar head unit with a great TPMS and engine monitoring!

Maybe this will help the original OP & me.
The original BoomGT radio is super slow. Slow startup and lags between screens. The map is terrible. Screen was much brighter, and crisp on the GTS. Response is MUCH faster. Apple CarPlay worked perfectly. Google Maps and Waze too. It’s a much better radio in my opinion and was worth it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Congrats from Saskatchewan.
The bike looks great, I like the blacked out white.

I recently purchased a Road Glide with the Sony unit linked earlier, and had a 2017 with the old GT head unit. The Sony is better than the HD GT unit but there are drawbacks. The sound is better on the Sony, startup is faster and you have Apple carplay or android auto. Downside with the Sony is you can't toggle around the screen like the HD unit, changing songs and volume is about the extent of the thumb controls which kinda sucks because the screen isn't exactly glove friendly. If the sun hits the screen you can't see anything on it. I find it an upgrade over the GT unit I had on my 17 but I would prefer the GTS but at less than half the price the Sony is a good buy if Navigation and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto are important to you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats from Saskatchewan.
The bike looks great, I like the blacked out white.

I recently purchased a Road Glide with the Sony unit linked earlier, and had a 2017 with the old GT head unit. The Sony is better than the HD GT unit but there are drawbacks. The sound is better on the Sony, startup is faster and you have Apple carplay or android auto. Downside with the Sony is you can't toggle around the screen like the HD unit, changing songs and volume is about the extent of the thumb controls which kinda sucks because the screen isn't exactly glove friendly. If the sun hits the screen you can't see anything on it. I find it an upgrade over the GT unit I had on my 17 but I would prefer the GTS but at less than half the price the Sony is a good buy if Navigation and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto are important to you.
Interesting looks like there are pros/cons to this unit. Has it been through the works as far as environments go? Heat, Cold, Rain?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Only had it a week. So only know that is does good in the cold lol it was below freezing this morning when I rode into work this morning. The guy before me put almost 10000 miles the bike this season and he was very happy with the unit. He for sure would have rode in the heat but I am not sure about how it holds up in the rain.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts