Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of now, I am going with the heavy breather but I've honestly never had a cone type air filter on any of my bikes. I always went with open filters.

A big reason I went with the heavy breather was that with every open air AC I had, I always got some kind of oil drip on the bottom of the filter. Some I re routed to a filter underneath but then that filter would just get soaked with oil and still dip. Granted, this will be an M8, which I've never owned until now, but the overall AC design is relatively the same as far as EPA reg's allow.

So my thought was that with the heavy breather, the sealed housing would negate any oil dripping. Oil accumulation would probably still be there, I just wouldn't notice it. Out of sight, out of mind.

But the more I think about it, if my leg smacks that housing too many times, I'll want to change it, lol. The ventilator is nice and slim and trim. But maybe it has the same oil issue.

Anyone running the ventilator notice oil dripping??

Which would you go with??

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
My opinion is I would go with a heavy breather any day. Had one on my '10 Street Glide. I think they are pricey but love that look. As a matter of fact I think they are still one of the best looking intakes around, but as far as power gains.... they will both more than likely give you the same numbers. I don't remember having any kind of legroom issues on the SG either. I've debated putting one on the '15 but I went S&S Stealth this time around. Good luck!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have never liked the heavy breather just because of how far it sticks out. Seems like I always hit my leg on it. I had a screaming eagle stage 1 kit and that still seemed to stick out further than I wanted. I ended up going with an S&S mini tear drop. Stills gives me a higher flow air cleaner, looks good and is a lot slimmer than the Harley stage 1.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
A couple of years ago a friend of mine ran a Dyno test, with a TC engine, on all the HD high flow filters and the heavy breather actually cam in 3rd best on the numbers. The numbers were very minor in difference and not anything you would notice riding the bike though. Not sure if that test would be the same on an M8 either. I will agree that it is one of the coolest looking breathers but I removed the one from my 2012 CVO because I couldn't bring my right knee in towards the tank. I had to keep it out more or I would smack the elbow of the breather. Unless you plan to do some sort of monster build with a 64/66mm throttle body, ported heads and very high lift cam any stage I A/C will give you the basically the same performance so your options are limitless. The Ventilator does look great but I like the HD Screamin’ Eagle Round High-Flow Air Cleaner - Center Bolt with the RATCHET cover. They even have it in the extreme version that has a thinker filter for more airflow for those extreme builds like I mentioned earlier. If you shop places like Boardtracker, Surdyke, or HorneyToad HD you'll find whatever filter you choose much cheaper than your local dealership.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple of years ago a friend of mine ran a Dyno test, with a TC engine, on all the HD high flow filters and the heavy breather actually cam in 3rd best on the numbers. The numbers were very minor in difference and not anything you would notice riding the bike though. Not sure if that test would be the same on an M8 either. I will agree that it is one of the coolest looking breathers but I removed the one from my 2012 CVO because I couldn't bring my right knee in towards the tank. I had to keep it out more or I would smack the elbow of the breather. Unless you plan to do some sort of monster build with a 64/66mm throttle body, ported heads and very high lift cam any stage I A/C will give you the basically the same performance so your options are limitless. The Ventilator does look great but I like the HD Screamin’ Eagle Round High-Flow Air Cleaner - Center Bolt with the RATCHET cover. They even have it in the extreme version that has a thinker filter for more airflow for those extreme builds like I mentioned earlier. If you shop places like Boardtracker, Surdyke, or HorneyToad HD you'll find whatever filter you choose much cheaper than your local dealership.
No big builds are in the future for me. Stage 2 cam change probably but that will probably be it.

You bring up the point of not being able to bring your leg close to the tank and that's a big thing for me too. It makes me feel less stable I think. I've had round filters before and always liked them except for the oil dripping part.....plus I would like to find a way to vent the blow by out of the throttle body and I'm pretty sure the heavy breather will make that near impossible.

And I usually order from Boardtracker or Surdyke aka Gold Star but since I bought a new bike, I'm getting a discount on genuine HD parts for this go round.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I've had round filters before and always liked them except for the oil dripping.
As far as the oil dripping goes that's just part of the game as that is how the crankcase breaths. You can minimize this by making sure your oil level is no more than halfway between the full Mark and the minimum mark. The other way is to not ride the bike in the upper RPM's but what fun is that?! I haven't noticed very much oil in the A/C on my M8 compared to what I've experienced on any of my TC's but it is only stage I so far. You already know about rerouting the breathing to external with a catch can but you have to decide on what you want to deal with. I ride very hard and as long as the oil in the breather is at what I consider a normal amount I won't worry about it and I'll just clean the filter as needed. Keeping the oil at a proper level does the trick for most though. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts