Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here's one pic of the car in progress about a month ago that shows the new stance - not a great pic - will get better ones this week after we dry up.

Attachments

·
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sorry no additional pics yet. We had lots and lots of showers last week so didn't get a good afternoon for pics, and we were on the other coast visiting friends this weekend. Hopefully can get it done some day this week.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Holy Chit Meng.......you went full Low Rider Huh? - I can get down with that !!

Love it Unc, congrats man - Low Back Buckets Up Front? Floor or Tree Shifter?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Car is looking great! I do love that style and the direction you are going. I helped a buddy bag a 62 caddy and had all stuff to bag my 66 olds Starfire, but life got in the way and that car is gone.

Just wanted to share a pic of my wifes grandfather's 64 Impala SS. He bought this car new in 64. In the 70's he was driving it to trade it in on a .......wait for it....VW!!! Luckily it started running rough so he didn't go to the dealer. It ended up sitting in his garage for almost 30 years and brought up to driving condition in the early 2000's. He was an engineer and kept every record possible in a binder in the trunk. Pretty cool to read back through. In the last year a buddy and I did a major tune up, replaced the radiator and did a bunch small stuff like gas gauge, etc. He is 87 years old and just wants to keep it on the road to drive, as stock as possible. Ok fine, the second pic is him leaving my house after the tune-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Car is looking great! I do love that style and the direction you are going. I helped a buddy bag a 62 caddy and had all stuff to bag my 66 olds Starfire, but life got in the way and that car is gone.

Just wanted to share a pic of my wifes grandfather's 64 Impala SS. He bought this car new in 64. In the 70's he was driving it to trade it in on a .......wait for it....VW!!! Luckily it started running rough so he didn't go to the dealer. It ended up sitting in his garage for almost 30 years and brought up to driving condition in the early 2000's. He was an engineer and kept every record possible in a binder in the trunk. Pretty cool to read back through. In the last year a buddy and I did a major tune up, replaced the radiator and did a bunch small stuff like gas gauge, etc. He is 87 years old and just wants to keep it on the road to drive, as stock as possible. Ok fine, the second pic is him leaving my house after the tune-up.
That is a awesome story.. It looks like he is still driving it like the day he bought it back in 64 and that is priceless!!!

·
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Thanks for the positive comments guys. It's not every body's "cup of tea", but I like it more and more every week as a few more things get checked off the "to do" list. I probably said this already, but it was love at first sight when I first saw the 6 dual chrome ring tail lights Chevy designed for this one year. For my tastes, it was a high water mark for '60s cars' tail lights.

I did have a mild setback, the brand new gas tank leaks once you get it past half full. Unfortunately, it's not a fitting loose or something simple. The tank is seeping gas on it's welded seam. Also have uncovered a couple of other smaller issues so it's back to the shop for new tank, carb, and a couple of other adjustments. I had an appointment to do the stereo this week but had to call and put it off for a week or so. Speaking of which I can talk about the planned stereo system a bit. The stereo shop does sound systems for all kinds of vehicles. He does a lot of high end systems for boats - whether it be a mostly exterior system for wake board boats, ski boats, etc. or a high end system for a new yacht. Also he does a lot of systems on new/late model 4x4s. 3/4 to 1 ton, singles or duallies, with 8" + lifts and running 44s are pretty popular around here. There's legitimate work trucks used on the large ranches and groves, and then there's the guys who set up their vehicles for sand racing or mud bogging. We don't have any mandatory mechanical or safety inspections in FL so the younger portion of the 4x4 crowd takes advantage by running whatever they want - the more outageous the better at that age.

Anyway - Doing two 7.5" treble/mids up front, (2) 9.5" of those same units in the rear package shelf, and a real nice 10" sub in the trunk. They'll be powered by a 900 watt 6 channel amp with a Classic Auto Soundz stereo head unit that exactly fits the factory dash cut out. It'll have CD; USB, Bluetooth, sources. I'm not looking to set off car alarms when I drive by, just a very musical sounding system with adequate power to drive the speakers well. Everything is in stock or on order so hopefully it can get done the middle of next week. I'll give you more details when the install is done.

·
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OK, past due for an update on the Impala project car. New leaking gas tank was drained, taken down and sent off for welding. Check. What looks like tranny fluid has dripped on the garage floor. After getting it on the lift it thankfully was a weeping power steering hose. New PS hose - check. A few drops of oil on the garage floor brought panic, but that turned out to be just leakage from the stamped steel chrome valve covers. Replaced with cast aluminum valve covers and new gaskets - no leaks, check. Battery that came with the car looked fairly new but wouldn't hold a full charge for more than a few days. Dead cell. Battery replaced with a new one, check. Speedo doesn't work and the head is bad and needs to be replaced. Do I replace it with a look alike reproduction, or go with a Dakota Digital unit. Love the DD units, but they're around $800. plus install. Decided to put that decision off for a while - who needs a stinkin' speedometer anyway! When you strip a 50+ year old car to the frame and then put it all back together and get it running, there's always a bunch of things you hadn't planned on that need replacing or tweaking - and this Impala is no exception.

Sandy and I spent last Sunday morning putting Dynamat on everything rearward of the back seat, in preparation for the stereo install. We dropped the car off at the stereo shop and will pick it up next Monday when we get back from a weekend wedding trip for my nieces wedding in New Hampshire. He'll mount everything but the front speakers, which will be wired and ready for mounting once the upholstery is complete.

Once I get it back from the stereo install the only major project left is the complete interior. Just seat frames and springs right now. It needs a complete new interior that I hope to have finished over the next 6-8 weeks. After finishing installing the Dynamat and Dynaliner over the complete interior, I'll put the carpet and door panels in and have the headliner, sail panels, and seats done professionally. That's it for now - hopefully it'll be 98% done by mid December with just a few pieces of trim that need to be sourced and installed after that.

I haven't forgotten that I need to post a bunch of pics, I just haven't had the time to take the pics or it's been raining when I have had time. I think our rainy season is finally over and hope to get pics done soon.

·
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Full of shit ..... another delay.

Well, I got the quotes back from the upholstery shops and was about to pull the trigger on getting it done when a normal pump out of my septic system revealed that my septic tank needs to be replaced. There went the money for the interior re-do. I'm hoping that I can get it rescheduled for sometime in Jan/Feb once I've recovered from the extra expense of the Holidays. Frustrated over this delay but finances dictate a lot of things when you're retired. Hopefully I'll have pics of the competed car in the next 60-90 days.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Full of shit ..... another delay.

Well, I got the quotes back from the upholstery shops and was about to pull the trigger on getting it done when a normal pump out of my septic system revealed that my septic tank needs to be replaced. There went the money for the interior re-do. I'm hoping that I can get it rescheduled for sometime in Jan/Feb once I've recovered from the extra expense of the Holidays. Frustrated over this delay but finances dictate a lot of things when you're retired. Hopefully I'll have pics of the competed car in the next 60-90 days.
So sorry to hear of Your Misfortune during this time of the Year, Unc!
Something always seems to come up and keep Us from doing what we wanted to.
Keep The Faith Kev, better days are coming. That Beauty of a Car will look awesome when she is finally done.
Mike U.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
once again it's time to been
trace the curves of once a when
no exudate no void left or right
though you push with all might
ten pound turds five pound sack
lack of money and just sittin
back
GO put on a Satan Claus hat

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have a 1976 C10 I have been messing around with. Got it running last spring after it had sat for 7 or 8 years. Got hooked on driving it. Blew it up on the way home from work one night. Have a new motor in it now. I just keep spending $ on it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My sympathies. My '68 Wildcat coupe developed a head gasket leak earlier this year and to be prudent I parked it, after 15,000 miles in 4yrs. I just KNOW from experience that once I pull the heads and send them off to be tested a solid money pit will start to appear under the car and it will take some filling. So I had to make a command decision. In 2019 all money is going into the 2019 Road Glide, associated parts and paying it all off. The Wildcat is gonna have to wait until 2020. I ain't made of money.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
1965 Impala build

OK, the reason I gave you a lot of detail about where it came from and how I acquired it was for a couple of reasons.
Really enjoyed the back story anyway! When it comes to modern vehicles I've always been a Ford guy... especially their trucks. I have a 2010 F-250 and a 1965 F-350. But when it comes to classic muscle cars I've leaned toward Chevys (Mopar lovers throw stuff!) My dream car has always been the '63 Splitwindow Corvette, but unless the Powerball is in my future I'll just have to stare at pictures! LOL

·
Registered
632 Posts
a friend sold her 1965 impala,tudor hardtop 2 years ago,she wanted a motorcycle.she got 15000.00-it was a 8 of 10-pretty stock except paint-283 - auto trans.it was a good move for her-the car never moved,the indian does.keep the pics coming-with your drive train that will be a gas to drive

·
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have a 1976 C10 I have been messing around with. Got it running last spring after it had sat for 7 or 8 years. Got hooked on driving it. Blew it up on the way home from work one night. Have a new motor in it now. I just keep spending $ on it.
The only reason I have a Tundra is that I just much prefer driving a pick up over a car. Putting money into a classic truck is usually money well spent these days. Pick ups have been really hot over the past 5+ years. I can't believe the number of high dollar custom trucks that have been/are being built. Lots of $75-125k trucks out there at hot rod events and auctions. On the 'stock' side of things, it's hard to believe you can actually spend $70,000 on a loaded new Dodge, Chevy, Ford half ton. I have a soft spot for late '60s/early '70s step side C10s. I spent an average 60 hours a week in company owned pickups during that time period. They were equipped with SB V8s and were quite quick .... once you got them off the line.

·
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
There's few cars that I'd like to own more than a 'split window' Vette with the 360 hp 327, and a Muncie Rock Cruser. Make mine "Sebring Silver" with black stripes.

·
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
My sympathies. My '68 Wildcat coupe developed a head gasket leak earlier this year and to be prudent I parked it, after 15,000 miles in 4yrs. I just KNOW from experience that once I pull the heads and send them off to be tested a solid money pit will start to appear under the car and it will take some filling. So I had to make a command decision. In 2019 all money is going into the 2019 Road Glide, associated parts and paying it all off. The Wildcat is gonna have to wait until 2020. I ain't made of money.
Having a solid plan will keep you on track. You're right about classic cars/hot rods being money pits. For damned sure about half the project will cost double of what you had planned for!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Sweet Azz Car UF, Best of Luck in your continuing work to have the perfect ride. I do love those 60's full size cars.

I too, have trouble climbing in/out of todays cars, so I like my trucks. Have one pick up that I will never admit to the coins tied up in it, but its mine and I'll never sell it. Use to race it regularly and its street legal/insured/tagged. Bought a new 2014 Muscle Car, but after the new-ness wore off, it became a pain-in-the-ass, climbing in and out of it, so I sold it. I would love to do something like you have.... maybe I can find a gem like you did.

MORE PICS!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have a soft spot for late '60s/early '70s step side C10s. I spent an average 60 hours a week in company owned pickups during that time period. They were equipped with SB V8s and were quite quick .... once you got them off the line.
I actually prefer the 67-72 body style but this one was "free" from my father in law. Now I'm about $5k into it with no end in sight. It is actually fun just to play with. I have no idea how far I'm going with it. Your project is way ahead of mine Fuzzy. Good luck.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've got an old 1962 Chevy C10 I picked up back in 2004. It's a replacement for the 1963 C10 I had as a teen/Early 20-something.

Sold the '63 when I got married. I needed the money more than I needed 2 trucks and 2 motorcycles, so I sold the one that kept getting me tickets.

Should have kept the truck. That wife lasted for barely a year.

Current wife of 26 years got tired of my lamenting the loss of that old truck and told me to buy another one. I had the long bed fleetside before, but always wanted the short bed stepside, so that's what I got.

It's been a labor of love and ongoing project

I spun a rod bearing in it last year. Did a full rebuild. Of course, while the block was at the machine shop they found a couple of cracks in it, so I had to replace the block as well. I was able to find a block out of a '63 Impala to go back in it. I only had to take it out to +.030 to clean it up.

So I have a little 327 with a CompCam XE268H and TRW forged pistons, and Holley 650 Spreadbore double pumper driving an SM420 with Granny first and 3.38 gears in the rear.

It had 3.90's, but when I rebuilt the rear end in February, I went for gears that would make the truck a bit more freeway friendly

Yes, old vehicles are Money Pits, but oh so much fun. ?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts