Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to the site. I have a 1980 flt tourglide shovelhead, trying to put it back on the road. This is my first Harley. My question is, is the oil bath for chain, primary, and engine oil all connected. Can I change all the fluids by draining the oil tank, or are they separate? How do I change oil in primary, and chain bath if not connected? Any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Has the primary been isolated? Meaning disconnected from engine. Look for oil lines behind inner primary going to oil pump and tank. If so and their connected then yes.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Negative, you have 3 different holes on your bike. All separated. If your bike is stock it will have a dry clutch, no oil bath for the primary, only oil dripping on the primary chain.
I believe, JB use to own one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I know it is all stock, it has a enclosure around the rear wheel and chain. So, do I only need to drain the oil that's in the oil tank?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Negative, you have 3 different holes on your bike. All separated. If your bike is stock it will have a dry clutch, no oil bath for the primary, only oil dripping on the primary chain.
I believe, JB use to own one.
are you saying their is 3 different places to change oil at?

·
Registered
9,595 Posts

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Trans 1 , engine 2 , rear chain 3.
I'M not a 100 % since I never own one.
JB will weigh in soon, I do believe he had an 80 TG.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
I just looked it does have lines going to primary and trans from the oil pump.
These are the lines that drip oil on the primary chain, and suck it back out of the primary.

·
Registered
816 Posts
These are the lines that drip oil on the primary chain, and suck it back out of the primary.
Oil for primary chain and a dry clutch :confused: As I stated previously,if lines are hooked up then just change oil in tank. Trans is separate as is enclosed rear chain. Might want to find a manual.

·
Administrator
12,393 Posts
You should have three oil lines going to the primary , a 1/4" supply , a 3/8" vent , and near the rear a 3/8" return . If these have not been blocked off then it is stock , and is a drip feed from the engine oil . You say there are three , so my guess is they haven't been blocked off ..

Look at the rear of the primary and you will find the drain plug ..

The trans is separate ..

The enclosed chain is the greatest invention of Harley history , There is a plastic cap on top of the cover for filling and one down low on the side for checking the level , remove the one for checking the oil level and if oil doesn't drain out , add until it does , use whatever grade motor oil you are using , only takes around six ounces .. It wont 'use' much , maybe a dollop every oil change , ya really don't have to change it , only add to it , which is rare , unless the seals are leaking .. Only issue is when you change rear tires , if you over torque the rear axle , the seals will leak ..

I envy you

JtB

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Oil for primary chain and a dry clutch :confused: As I stated previously,if lines are hooked up then just change oil in tank. Trans is separate as is enclosed rear chain. Might want to find a manual.
The clutch is not submerged in oil wise guy. That's what that call dry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the info (everyone). Only other question now is do I need to refill the primary, or will it fill on its own from the engine as needed. And the trans, how to drain and refill it.

·
Administrator
12,393 Posts
the primary will fill on its own ..

there may be a dressy cover on the right side hiding the transmission , look for the arm at the transmission that the clutch cable is connected to , you will see the fill plug directly behind it , drain is underneath

JtB

·
Registered
3 Posts
The primary doesn't fill, oil sneezes on the chain from the breather, and drips from the oiler, that oil is scavenged out of the primary at a rate of about 4 to 1, you only need to dump the oil tank and trans, I don't know about the final drive

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
The primary doesn't fill, oil sneezes on the chain from the breather, and drips from the oiler, that oil is scavenged out of the primary at a rate of about 4 to 1, you only need to dump the oil tank and trans, I don't know about the final drive
Same as his, jb was just being general.

·
Administrator
12,393 Posts
Sorry FDR but Gary is correct ..

Dry clutch models include the primary case as part of the engine oil and breathing system ..

Wet eliminates primary case breathing since it has it's own sealed oil supply ..

Wet merely means the primary chain case acts as the oil reservoir

JtB

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Oil in primary = wet clutch. Don't type unless you know what your typing about .
Belt drive in primary, no oil,dry clutch. Wise but not stupid.
Stick around kid, you'll learn
something.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If there is oil on your clutches, how can it be dry? You guys don't get the concept. I've owned and still do have a shovelhead. When you isolate the primary you don't run it dry. Look up clutches for a shovelhead,some state can be run dry but not all. A stock primary has a oiler and return,oil in means wet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts