Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Squeaking by on my tight budget....I found HogTunes 70 watt amp with 5 x 7" speakers, adapter and grills half price from J & P cycles (it was a scratch and dent unit, looks fine to me!)....looking for a deck unit and retro kit...almost bought a Sony DSX-MS60 but I own a iPhone5 and not sure if it will work with that....

Any suggestions on a deck unit...either flash drive or iPhone5 compatible? Don't own an iPod....

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.....found the DSX-MS60 for $136 including s/h new on eBay.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Squeaking by on my tight budget....I found HogTunes 70 watt amp with 5 x 7" speakers, adapter and grills half price from J & P cycles (it was a scratch and dent unit, looks fine to me!)....looking for a deck unit and retro kit...almost bought a Sony DSX-MS60 but I own a iPhone5 and not sure if it will work with that....

Any suggestions on a deck unit...either flash drive or iPhone5 compatible? Don't own an iPod....

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.....found the DSX-MS60 for $136 including s/h new on eBay.
Same bike for me and I had not planned to spend big bucks because of the age of the bike. I went with the sony DSX-M60 and am very happy with it.Worlds better than the stock unit. I have a Walkman instead of iPhone and am happy with that as well so I can't speak as to the iPhone5 compatibility issue.Highly recommend you go with the Hawgwired retrokit and harness as the fit and finish are spot on. The sidecar splash guard is supposed to fit their retrokit also. While doing this upgrade I went ahead and added the Hawgwired 2 channel amp and the DX504-70 spkrs. Am very happy with the end result,but have not had it out for a road test yet. But even in the garage I can tell that it is much cleared and louder. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm leaning towards the HawgWired retrokit for mounting hardware and wiring harness to maintain my handlebar controls....hope to have the money for that in a week and install ASAP!

I currently have no sounds since my cassette player eats tapes and no radio reception where I'm at......looking forward to spring weather and listening to some of my favorite tunes while riding again.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I highly recommend the HW install kit. I just installed a Clarion head unit in my '01, HW kit allows handlebar controls for volume, source selection, track selection. I found an inexpensive mini flash drive at Staples that doesn't stick out much, downside is that it plays all tracks in order, not able to shuffle.

Fit and ease of install on HW kit are very good.

Peace

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've gone online at HawgWired and J&P even Amazon and eBay and the HawgWired HUA470 kit I wanted is not available anywhere?....backordered out of stock.....!

Anyone suggest a good second choice? Biketronics?

Or another place to buy the HW kit?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I got mine from a local car stereo guy, I can call him if you want or you can find Audio 2 Go on Facebook.

Sidecar Cycles may have them, they make and sell each others products.

Peace

·
Registered
28 Posts
If your on a tight budget I recomend the PAC-SWI for hand controls. I've just installed it on my RG with a Sony DSX-s200 radio. Works flawless, instructions are very simple. You do have to do some splicing and wire welding. If you've done any kind of radio install before, this is easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Easy 4 to 8 ohms

If you are adding 4 ohm speakers to the 8 ohm radio (Not the HK's, they're a 2 ohm radio) this is one way to do it if you aren't adding an amp and are using 4 speakers. If you series them; + lead to one speaker +, - lead to the other speaker -, and jump the - & + between the two, you get double the ohms at 8 ohms.

The diagram below would be for say the "front left and rear left" wired in series. You would of course need to wire the "front right and rear right" in series on the other stereo channel.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG....I "assumed" this new Sony DSX-MS60 came with an antennae....guess again!

I'm now searching for one that I can hide in the fairing or somewhere out of sight since I hardly ever ride with the tour pack on and the other antennae mounts were removed....thought I could find something that would be out of sight .... any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I bought a hidden antenna of eBay for 14.95. Sticks inside the fairing and works better than the stock your pack mounted unit

I too run a Sony marine unit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts