Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've honestly tried searching the forums for this and couldn't find it (if you can, attach the link for me please). Coming up on 1,000 miles for my '19 road glide and of course the dealer says to bring it in for the service. Question is, will they do anything other than change all three oils and the filter? Priced between $300-400 from what I've seen. I can do the oil change myself but I'd like to know if dumping that kind of money for a service check is worth it to have it done by a certified mechanic. What exactly am I paying them to do and check? I've seen the checklist and it doesn't look to be that in depth. I feel like I should just invest in the service manual and do it all myself. Thoughts and opinions???

Attachments

·
Banned
72 Posts
My dealer told me i could change oil myself just document everything save your receipts. As for the rest of what they do as far as I know they go look at your bike and check for anything that might be loose. Buying a service manual is something everybody should have if you're going to do anything to your bike yourself.Just my 2cents besides that I've been doing all my own maintenance to all my vehicles forever. No way in the world I would drop 400 bucks for some kid to change my oil.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
There is a checklist at every service interval, not just change fluids. And yes you can do it yourself and document it. I like to have the dealer do 1k and 10k and do the rest my self. With them doing the 1k they may have common issues they check that are not on the 1k checklist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
If you can change the oil yourself, and read/comprehend the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, you can do the service easily.
Most of it is nut-n-bolting and checking for leaks.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ok, I've honestly tried searching the forums for this and couldn't find it (if you can, attach the link for me please). Coming up on 1,000 miles for my '19 road glide and of course the dealer says to bring it in for the service. Question is, will they do anything other than change all three oils and the filter? Priced between $300-400 from what I've seen. I can do the oil change myself but I'd like to know if dumping that kind of money for a service check is worth it to have it done by a certified mechanic. What exactly am I paying them to do and check? I've seen the checklist and it doesn't look to be that in depth. I feel like I should just invest in the service manual and do it all myself. Thoughts and opinions???
i feel your pain lol

i had mine done more for peace of mind than anything else. with the way the dealers are scrutinizing everything i felt better letting them do it.
they did let me provide the 3 oils, and noted that it wasn't "Harley oil" but i did save about $50 bucks.

bottom line is whatever lets you sleep at night

welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
If you are a capable Harley tech, and have a service manual, then have it. Not really all that much to do on these new scooters.

If you don't have a service manual, get one.

If you have doubts about the doing the oil change part of it, don't attempt a first service. Let the dealer do it. Then spend the next 4 thousand miles learning your way around the scooter and familiarizing yourself with the manual.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought the manual and did it myself. Also about to perform the 1st oil change on my brother 19 RG as well. I check all the bolts that are on the checklist and look around to make sure nothing seems odd. So far so good.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm having the dealer do it before leaving for Sturgis. That way if something happens on the road it's on them. No questions about it. My belt seems tight to me anyway. So it will be good to get it checked out. After that I'll be doing it myself. I hope The M8 is as good as my twin cam has been. It seem like it's gonna be a good bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd take it in. Lots of threads about how to do it yourself, but ultimately a big part of taking your bike in is building a relationship with the service department. Gotta find someone you trust.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Only you can determine if you are comfortable doing your own service. Depending on the relationship you have with your dealer and their reputation determines how well you need to document that you performed the service. I enjoy working on my bikes so I do my own service but I have the dealer perform any warranty or recall work. I also own all the tools I will need to service the bike except for bleeding the ABS brakes. I will let them do that because it is cheaper than the special tool required.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I only took mine in for the first service to get it in the "system".. I don't know if there's any validity to that theory. I fashioned a tool for the head bearing, bought the tools required etc. When I traded for the 18, I left the smudged up service manual in the bag, as I lost the "service folder' in the lost move. They were satisified with that. No brake bleeding though..... I had the extended warranty and did use that when required.

Piece of cake man... bond.

·
Registered
982 Posts
As said before...Get a manual and do it yourself. Great way to learn more about your bike too.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I am probably the only one on here that has no interest in the DIY aspect and like BH, negotiate Service into every new bike I buy - Hell, this last go around I negotiated a package with my dealer for the 1K, 5K, 10K, 15K, 20K etc up to the 50K or (5) year mark with "Pick it up, knock it out, drop it off" door to door service for under $2500 with a guaranteed turn around time of 48 hours (ever try and get a bike serviced in the weeks before Sturgis?) back to my door......I don't have to dick with old fluids and all is documented with the dealer ANNNNND, if I trade the bike in with them, an additional $1k in trade in value as they know it was serviced by them......all documented.......oh and free winter storage with 15% discount on P&A for the life of the bike.......its a Package they offer that I negotiated into the deal at a reduced rate

For a dip shit like me.......thats sub $2500 well spent

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
I've always had to first service done at the dealer just to get it on record that it was done. After that I've done everything myself. Now if I had a new bike I would definitely have the dealer do it especially with the oil migration problems these M8's have. I would want it documented by the dealer for when you start running into problems. Just my opinion. Good luck

·
Registered
374 Posts
All of the above advice is great and spot on. Do you have a lift? Getting the scooter up horizontally? Or do you have to lay on your back and fuss around? The Motor Company says that with an oil change at a dealership you get a look on the bike: Tire pressure, belt check, etc. Of course anything that they can sell. So what? Other eyes are always OK.

After spending 20-30k on a scooter why fuss over a couple of hundred bucks?

I changed fluids on all of my rides and cages since day one. Got some satisfaction over that. But I just don't do it anymore. Now, while my fluids are being changed, I walk over to the next door diner and have biscuits and gravy.

Cheers!

·
Registered
505 Posts
You can do the 1k service yourself, using the very best lubes and filter, with no effect on your warranty, for $84. Just save all receipts, check the torque on all fasteners as outlined in the service manual, and continue normal maintaince, (tire pressure, minor lubes, etc.).There are laws that protect you from what I consider dishonest and predatory practices some dealers, that sell anything, insist on perpetuating.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What jcarruth says. You will do a much better job than the "new" tech that is fighting with his girlfriend, scrolling down his cellphone and watching the clock. A few special tools are needed such as a ft. and in. lb. torque wrench, hex and torx bit set, A atv jack or mc chock is helpful but a 2x4 under the jiffy stand will work. Pay for themselves after your 5k service. You will have the self satisfaction of knowing it was done right.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I usually do the fluids myself. But with my 19rg I got lazy and had the dealer do it. Full synthetic. Came to 275.00 total. I really hate stripping a torx which I've done before.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I been lazy as hell with mine, taking it in, finally the money tree went dry!! Took my dealer ( although they're great) off the tit. I have found not only a deeper enjoyment and bond working on my bike, but also have more cash to buy more stuff for it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts