Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, 1st post here... just bought a brand new RGS and the sales manager tried pushing the service package on me, I told him I usually do my services. He said that the first service needs to be done by an HD dealer or it will void the warranty, is this true?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Check out the Magnuson- Moss warranty act. I read about it here on the forum. Supposedly doing your own service is fine, just keep receipts. Engine mods would be a different story. The stealer just wants $$$.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Check out the Magnuson- Moss warranty act. I read about it here on the forum. Supposedly doing your own service is fine, just keep receipts. Engine mods would be a different story. The stealer just wants $$$.
^^^THIS^^^

Tell the sales manager to show you in writing where this is? He's blowing smoke and if he persist I would seriously consider looking elsewhere to buy it.

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
Call the MOCO main office and tell them what he said, then call his boss and tell him you don't do business with a Jack ass.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
13,531 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I agree with all of the above, in fact if you have another dealer close by I'd see if they like your business better.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Welcome, you may want to consider getting a maintenance manual.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Keep a good file of receipts of oil fluids and etc. don't forget to keep a good Record of your mileage and months of service you did on your own bike.
And you will be fine.
Just remember some items may require specialty tools you may not have.
Again follow your service book and you will be fine .

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
5,188 Posts
Have him show you in writing... When he can't be sure to let the GM/Owner of that dealership know your money will be spent elsewhere. That is a bullshit tactic to make $$$.

Rowdy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies folks, I didn't think they could hold me to a $600 dollar 1st service but I just wanted to be sure of it and I knew you guys would give me the facts. I think im going to enjoy this forum for a very long time:)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Stick around. We will steer you straight.

FWIW I've shot my warranty out of the water within 2-weeks of any of the bikes that I've owned. My attitude is that if something breaks then it is time to upgrade.

·
Registered
641 Posts
As others have said, that's BS. I have done EVERY service on my bike, and have had warranty work done several times (not happy about that but that's another story) and have NEVER had any issues. As a matter of fact, the Service Manager knows I do my own services and that I did my own Stage 1 and he could care less.

Take your business to a different dealer.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Hey folks, 1st post here... just bought a brand new RGS and the sales manager tried pushing the service package on me, I told him I usually do my services. He said that the first service needs to be done by an HD dealer or it will void the warranty, is this true?
+1 everything above.

Now - what dealer?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Manchester is a good shop. Ask to talk to the GM, Scott D, he's a good guy. I get my work done there, and bought my 2013 RG there. Good luck.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Manchester is a good shop. Ask to talk to the GM, Scott D, he's a good guy. I get my work done there, and bought my 2013 RG there. Good luck.
Yea, I wouldn't go finding a new dealer so quick, but would be quick to point out to the GM that I don't appreciate being BS'ed out of my money. Maybe just one dishonest employee. "Fool me once......"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.