Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking my f47 chrome bars to get powdercoated. The guys is local and has a good rep. Can the powdercoat go to the end of the bars or does the end need to be masked off at switchhousing? Also taking some other misc stuff, plate bracket, extended brake pedal etc. Brake pedal has grease fitting. I asume that needs to be removed?

I know nothing about powdercoating.

TY in advance for any light you guys can shine on this

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
How good is the reputation of your coater? I ask this because a highly experienced coater will usually know what to do and do the small time legwork for you such as removing small items like the zerk, protecting threads, machined surfaces and bores. I had a local coater years ago who claimed his work was top notch do the lower legs on my '12 RG in gloss black. When I got them back and went to assemble them I found he had coated the axle bores and the caliper mount surfaces. This guy's work was in fact careless and sloppy. Try to see the chosen coaters previous work or reviews. We had a member who does powder coating, not sure if he is still active but everyone on here loved his work. Maybe see if you can dig up his name and contact him for some first rate advice. Good luck, can't wait to see your bike when it's done!

·
Registered
973 Posts
As said, if they know what they are doing, the will plug threaded holes, or other areas that shouldn't be coated. I would recommend removing the zirk and any other items that are removable so they don't get lost at the coaters shop.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Taking my f47 chrome bars to get powdercoated. The guys is local and has a good rep. Can the powdercoat go to the end of the bars or does the end need to be masked off at switchhousing? Also taking some other misc stuff, plate bracket, extended brake pedal etc. Brake pedal has grease fitting. I asume that needs to be removed?

I know nothing about powdercoating.

TY in advance for any light you guys can shine on this

Matt, a Member (Jetman), used to do powder coating on the side and everyone that used his service was extremely pleased with the outcome.
I haven’t seen him on Our Forum in a while. Might try sending him a PM to see if he’s still in business.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the info!.

I am meeting a buddy who has used this local guy in the am, I will pick his brain and follow up.

TY Mike, I will take a look for Jetman.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I was thinking of having a few stock parts powder coated as well, I'm just wondering how does it hold up long-term...
Powdercoating is pretty tough and durable stuff, as long as the part is prepped correctly, and the process is done correctly.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If you can, look at some of their previous work. My first go around, 3 pieces, the company I used wasn't up to par. Orange peel on the console, unacceptable. The rest of the stuff I had done, 35 pieces, was so much better.
Some of these companies do a lot of stuff that doesn't matter looks wise, farm equipment, etc. Find a company that does wheels, car parts, stuff that has to look good also

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ahhhh powder coating!

First off, if your powder coater doesn't know what needs to be protected, wrapped, plugged you need to find a new guy.

I took my bike to my local HD dealer to have several motor parts coated on my 2012 RG, this was in 2016. Everything chrome on the motor was coated, either gloss black, flat black or satin red. It looked outstanding. HOWEVER, between the powder coater and the dealer, someone didn't do their job. The pushrod tubes were not plugged or capped and got powder coating on the inside, other parts didn't have the blasting media cleaned out well enough and that glass went through my motor. Needless to say, the motor was junk, it wasn't running well on the way out, but from Sturgis to Green Bay, I went through 8 qts of oil.

The conversation started with the dealer, explaining what had happened and the said and I quote, "we've eaten the cost of too many of these lately, I'm not doing it on this one, plus that's the chance you take when you have motor parts coted". The powder coater had a similar story, neither wanted to accept responsibility and blamed the other. My reply to the dealership owner was this, "the one thing I know is that I paid the you the money to do this job and do it correctly. Weather it's the responsibility of the powder coater or yourself I don't know and quite frankly don't care, I just know it's not MY fault that my bike is in the condition it is". A week later I got a call from the dealer telling me I was correct and no matter who's blame it was, he was going to make it right. I had the option to get a new motor in my 2012, or trade that bike in and get a brand new 2018 for $8500. This was not a no brainer for me as I had my old bike right where I wanted it sans the motor, but in the end, I felt there were too many upgraded items on the 18 to not go new.

Careful with your powder coater!

Wade

Old Bike

New Bike

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
We had a guy do a frame for us. He powder coated the motor mounts and filled in the floor board and kickstand mounts. Was pretty shitty taking a grinder to it and having to tap every threaded mount sucked. Ask for pictures of his work and look at the critical areas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts