Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving out for Sturgis on Sat from Ohio its my first trip out west so whats a new guy to do or not do :) cant wait to get there but I hope to get some good riding in before the crowd gets in town any input would be helpful thanks!
I have a room in Rapid City plan to stay the whole week...

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
number 1 don't is don't drink and ride. Be wary of the bikers that can not ride as there are bikes every where. other then that enjoy the heck out of it. I am leaving in the morning and I go every year and never have gotten tired of it.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
make reservations now

if you don't plan on driving straight through, get a hotel where you plan to spend the night, now! The hotels fill up along I90 starting in May and June. Made my reservations in early June.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lots of great riding in the area. Most of the vender areas and bars have "Ride Guides" that are free and describe all of the must do rides. Needles and Iron Mt road, Spearfish Canyon, Vanocker Road, etc. We ride from can see to can't in the daylight. Night time is for watching the circus. Been coming for ten years and it never gets old. I've been here since Sunday, not as many bikes and people so far as past years. I'm sure that will change this weekend. As stated, ride very defensively. Lots of first time or inexperienced riders around.
SD

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Don't take all main highways to get there. I'm on day 2 of my journey and have gone the roads less traveled.I did some of the best riding of my life today because I chose the long way. If you have time there is some great back roads to exPlore.

Do try and make the Road glide meet and greet mon at 9am.. VFW in Piedmont.. Would love to meet you and here about ur ride over.

·
Registered
72 Posts
sturgis

Try to arrange your trip so that you can spend a night at Wall, (where Wall Drugs is). When going to Rapid city from Michigan, we stop at the end of the first day at Wall then head south to go through the Badlands then on to Rapid City. There is plenty of time to check into your hotel or campground and see everything South of Rapid City the fist day there. Mt. Rushmore, Wildlife Loop Road, Crazy Horse, the pigtails. Lots of great riding on the South side. Day two and beyond, head north for the mayhem

·
Registered
125 Posts
We are in Denver on our second day of trip from Houston. We are riding the scenic way through Colorado today and will stop in Rawlins, Wyoming. Then on to Jackson Hole, WY, then to Montana with the night in Cody, WY, then to the madness in Sturgis. We are staying in Spearfish. Lock your bike and beware of people who can not ride.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Not sure what your plans are, but we had one member of our group drop out and you are welcome to hang with us. Send me a PM and I will give you the details. I have family in Rapid and been there many times. One suggestion is to make sure you lock everything up and secure your licence plate. Apparently, some punks think it is cool to collect different states:mad:. They also like to steal loose parts of bikes, nuts, caps, bags, etc.:eek:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Enjoy the trip! If you end up riding in the evenings or after dark, watch out for the critters... Especially in the Hills, but even in Rapid City. I was out there last weekend and almost had a deer in my lap on the west side of Rapid City. Fortunately I swerved one way and the deer went the other way.

Also, if you are coming into SD from the south east via I-29, a nice diversion from the I-90 traffic is to take Hwy 50 through Vermillion/Yankton to Hwy 44 west through Winner, SD. Gets a little sparse west of Winner, but also very little traffic to contend with. 44 skirts the south edge of the Badlands and takes you right into Rapid City.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm glad someone mentioned the deer! They're like rabbits up there! I hit one broadside at 55mph coming out of Deadwood a few years back and I thank the man upstairs for saving my butt on that one. Also, when in Sturgis, DON't park in the yellow curbs, not even by an inch. They will pick your bike up in a minute. Town of Sturgis revenue! Other than that and what others have said about the newbies and drinkers, have a frikin ball! 17 years running and I never get tired of it! Oh yea, one more thing, respect the 1%'s. Don't want to mess with that one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Have fun leaving here the same day, wave when we see each other, only other tip, BE OFF THE ROAD PRIOR TO DUSK, wild life out there claims one or two riders every ye:(ar.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you all for what sound like some good tips im looking forward to a great trip and some good riding hope to put on 1or2k there in SD. I may have to trailer :mad::mad: because i just found that i have a fork seal leaking im going to try to replace it in the AM hope it all works out and i can ride out but if not i will trailer and drive thru the night:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts