Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

just pulled my lowers off to powder coat and was wondering if the seal/bushings of the front shocks need to be replaced? i visually inspected them and they look fine. the bike is a 2012 and only has 2,500 miles on it. i just wasn't sure if these parts were like the derby cover seals you need to replace every time you take the cover off. any help would be most appreciated

cheers,
matt

"at the end of the game both the king and the pawn go back into the same box"

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I would just to be sure. it is a fair amount of work to pull replace them again if they do loeak. It only takes the slightest knick to have leaky forks. I am guessing you pulled them out before powder coating so there is that chance they leak and just not worth the work. If it was like a derby cover it isno big deal to replace if they leak but forks are a pain to pull off again

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You are over halfway there already. Spend the few bucks for the seals and Don't worry about them for a long while.

·
Registered
526 Posts
+2 Go ahead and replace the fork seals while you have already done the hard part and have the bike all torn down.....Oh and by the way... the derby cover gasket is good for many times use....just check it for tears and re-use it if its OK....H-D recomends the new gasket each time to sell you a new one :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you already have them apart think about installing progressive monotubes

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gents for the replies, I will replace the seals and bushings. Gonna also add some SE fork oil to get a bit stiffer ride. The Progressive Monotube seems awesome, but after all this powdercoating I'm gonna need to save up for a bit more!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Good call on replacing both the seals and the bushings....for such cheap parts you would kick yourself if they leaked after reinstalling everything.

Cheers,

Trent

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Every time I have taken apart a set of forks I leave the seal on the fork tube and reinstall it. I've done this at least 6 or 8 times installing chromed lowers on friends bikes and dozens of times on dirt bike forks in my younger days. In all those times I have never had a seal leak doing it this way. Also the bushing should be good for 50,000 plus miles so there is no need replace them either. The only thing that needs replacing is the fork oil.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Every time I have taken apart a set of forks I leave the seal on the fork tube and reinstall it. I've done this at least 6 or 8 times installing chromed lowers on friends bikes and dozens of times on dirt bike forks in my younger days. In all those times I have never had a seal leak doing it this way. Also the bushing should be good for 50,000 plus miles so there is no need replace them either. The only thing that needs replacing is the fork oil.
50k on bushings? how many miles on the oil?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts