Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I installed the lowered monotubes and set them up for -2". After the fact, I did some reviewing of the forum and with all the talk of dented fenders, limited travel and dragging boards, I'm beginning to second guess myself. I was hoping for some feed back from those out there, who are in fact, running or have ran in the past the -2" monotubes as in likes, dislikes or do-overs. "What's the likely hood of denting my fender?" That's my greatest concern. Is it really worth going -2" purely for the look? Or is -1" the way to go for a daily rider?
I value the words of experience. :)
Thanks, Z

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
179 Posts
Zman,
My monotubes really are in the mail. After reading through thread after thread on here I am going with the 1" drop. I love the low look and have the Monroe kit in the back but I don't like bottoming out. Let me know which way you end up going I'm following. Thanks for the info.
McLuvin

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subscribed. I'm going through the same process, only I have the luxury of first guessing myself since I haven't installed them yet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Lol, Why can't I learn to do that. I tend to jump first then ask about the alligators.

·
Registered
483 Posts
For what its worth, i debated this too. Just installed mine last week and went -1. Set it on the ground for the first time monday and that thing is LOW. I still can't seem to understand the mechanics of how the system works, that not adding the second spring and adding preload adjusters would make it taller... but it's pretty low now with -1. And I think that largely has to do with most running -2 have a 21" wheel which is taller by over an inch.

I know that doesn't answer your question on the dented fenders, but I guess where i'm going with that is the -1 is more like -1.5 and you should eliminate the risk of hitting your fender. I'm glad I didn't go lower because mine would be going down hill. I almost put in another preload clip to bring it up a 1/4 inch per progressives instructions.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I installed mine at -1" and find it's pretty low. I used the HD lowering front end kit on my wife's Road Glide Custom which is -1" and mine is lower than hers. I would have used the HD kit but Harley does not make a kit for the CVO forks. To me, the HD lowering kit rides better than these progressive monotubes do. I put 50,000 miles on my 2011 with the HD front lowering kit, in my opinion the ride was better than the ride with these monotubes.

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
Been running -2" for over 3 years now, no dented fender or any other issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been running -2" for over 3 years now, no dented fender or any other issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710
If you get a chance, I'd be interested in knowing the distance from the bottom of the weld on your upper engine guard bracket to the top of the fender parallel to the forks.

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Been running mine for about the same time as D but I do have one dent. I hit a HUGE pothole on the interstate. The dent came from the weld that's on the middle of the crash bar. Its small and you don't notice it.

Frankie has a 2in drop on the RK and no issues with his.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The dent usually don't happen when you bottom out, it is when you bottom out from a big ass whole and the forks flex back.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dent usually don't happen when you bottom out, it is when you bottom out from a big ass whole and the forks flex back.
Now that's the kind of information that intrigues me!

What if one was to grind some of the weld away and maybe cement a thin piece of rubber at the possible contact area?

Oh and Tracy you know now that every time I see Limey I'll ask " Tracy, how did you get that hugh dent in you fender??" Lol! Just kidding!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My kit was missing one of the C-clip spacers when I did the install so I used 2 on each side figuring I'd end up with a little over the 1" that 3 clips was supposed to give. Ended up with over 2" of drop, but have run it that way for more close to 15,000mi and have had zero issues even on Iowa's crap-ass roads.
According to the folks at Progressive, SUPPOSEDLY and theoretically, the component stackup shouldn't allow enough travel to bash the fender, and so far I don't have any dents.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Now that's the kind of information that intrigues me!

What if one was to grind some of the weld away and maybe cement a thin piece of rubber at the possible contact area?

Oh and Tracy you know now that every time I see Limey I'll ask " Tracy, how did you get that hugh dent in you fender??" Lol! Just kidding!
Grind the weld down yes, but i don't think of thin rubber will do any good if you hit hard enough to have contact.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tdk, is that with you onboard or on the sidestand?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, with the bike upright, I have 1 3/4" between the weld of the guard bracket and the fender. How does that sound? Sounds and looks tight to me.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1390422738.481171.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
I did the -1 on mine and I love the ride and the way it looks, I also did -1.5 in the rear. Its just right for me as a daily rider. Real nice!!

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
-2 on mine, with 21" front wheel and DEI wrap fender. No problems.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts