Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went out thinking that I was going to buy the upgrade Boom 6.5" spkrs with the thinking that I'd see how they improve things and add the Harley Boom amp at some point in time. ( even though reading that they aren't that good). When I looked at the speakers and felt the quality, weight and saw the made in China label, I couldn't justify laying out $200 plus without researching more.

Has anyone successfully installed any other brands in the 15 without needing adaptors or a dremel?

Thanks for any lessons learned. I'll probably add the Boom amp down the road so need to stay at 2ohms.

I read the other threads but didn't see this answered specifically

Thanks

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I looked at the upgraded speakers and was not impressed at all. I too am looking at better direct replacement aftermarket speakers. Hopefully someone can provide more info on better speakers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Today I went out thinking that I was going to buy the upgrade Boom 6.5" spkrs with the thinking that I'd see how they improve things and add the Harley Boom amp at some point in time. ( even though reading that they aren't that good). When I looked at the speakers and felt the quality, weight and saw the made in China label, I couldn't justify laying out $200 plus without researching more.

Has anyone successfully installed any other brands in the 15 without needing adaptors or a dremel?

Thanks for any lessons learned. I'll probably add the Boom amp down the road so need to stay at 2ohms.

I read the other threads but didn't see this answered specifically

Thanks
First, where did you find a Harley Dealer open on Christmas Day??

Second, there are a bunch of spearkers out there. Cycle Sound's are 2.8 OHM and work fine without an AMP.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, where did you find a Harley Dealer open on Christmas Day??

Second, there are a bunch of spearkers out there. Cycle Sound's are 2.8 OHM and work fine without an AMP.
Touche'.. meant earlier this week.

Have you installed them and do they sound good? I'm trying to hear from someone that has found an improved sound and also installed them easily using the existing mounting holes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Touche'.. meant earlier this week.

Have you installed them and do they sound good? I'm trying to hear from someone that has found an improved sound and also installed them easily using the existing mounting holes.
Yes they install pretty easy. Since they are made specifically for a Harley, it's a plug and play. 5 minutes easy on the Road Glide. I think they sound pretty dang good. I wasn't looking to spend too much. If you are getting the dreaded "washout" new speakers won't help. On my bike I found that the bluetooth was the problem. I had the dealer download an earlier software version and that fixed that. Happy now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do a lot of stereo installations I would look into the infinity 62.11 6.5" they are a 2ohm speaker and sound great you can get for around 120 online

·
Registered
135 Posts
I do a lot of stereo installations I would look into the infinity 62.11 6.5" they are a 2ohm speaker and sound great you can get for around 120 online
Have you installed these on the 15 yet? Besides modifying the connections, are the mounting points too thick?

·
Registered
196 Posts
You're right except they were 90.00. Awesome sound upgrade. Now I need to get rid of my Cycle Sounds...
snapperkid;

Where did you find them for $90? Do they sound better than stock above about 50MPH? I have trouble hearing my system about 50 with the wind tunnels.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do the stock speaker grilles work with those Kappas? I was under the impression that they would not.

Referring to application on a 2015 Roadie.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Stock grills work fine. If you're not using an amp you will have to jump the wires and shouldn't be a problem. The speakers are not a plug and play. Do you use bluetooth mainly?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Stock grills work fine. If you're not using an amp you will have to jump the wires and shouldn't be a problem. The speakers are not a plug and play. Do you use bluetooth mainly?
I'm doing an amp and speaker install using those speakers. Just thought I had read somewhere that you had to use different grilles. Guess I will soon find out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you're not going with an amp, you will have to tap into the existing speaker wires. They won't plug into the Kappa's.
Did you cut and splice the new connectors on or just leave the stock connectors and piggy back onto the wire?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did you cut and splice the new connectors on or just leave the stock connectors and piggy back onto the wire?
Yeah, if you are going with say the Kappa's and not the amp, you can just piggy back on to the wires and then to the Kappa's. If you're going with an amp, just use 10ga wire direct to the Kappa's from the amp. I just fished them through the rubber grommet on ea side.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For the audio system, I started by installing the HD Boom Hidden Antenna and Rockford Fosgate Punch P165 2-way Speakers which are 55watts RMS/110 watts Peak. Although the sound was much more crispier then the stock. But ironically the sound was not all that louder then the stock speakers, so I decided to go with an amp to. But it's been soooo cold up here in New England that I had to hold off with the install of the Rockford Fosgate PBR300x2 Amp. This is the second time around with the same application of Rockford Fosgate products. My old 2009 Road Glide had the PBR300x4 with four speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't think the stock grills are going to work with 62.11i in a '15 RGS. The lower snap in tab on the grills is hitting the speaker surround and I fear, with the constant movement of the surround, are quickly going to wear a hole in the surround. Anybody have this situation and, if so, what was your solution/modification to remedy?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts