Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on a 10-12 day motocamping trip up into the Rockies in mid July. It's her first ever tour and my first ever major tour with a passenger.

How the hell am I going to pull this off?

I'm glad I have an Ultra, but still. What goes and what stays?

Any experienced 2 up riders have any tips for this rookie?

·
Registered
816 Posts
One bag is mine, one bag is yours. Tourpack is in the public domain for jackets and raingear. She will need to be reminded that the tourpack is a 50/50 democracy, not a dictatorship with one person rule. Top bag for overflow.

She gonna hold the tent and sleeping bags? Sounds like a full house.
We can go 5 days out of the bags without doing laundry.

If I had to haul camp gear, I be looking for a trailer hitch. Things get top heavy pretty quick loaded and two up.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
hey andyman,

i have only done one 7 day 2 up myself but a few things i learned:

give the little lady one saddlebag and king tour pak. tell her thats all she can take.

you get one saddlebag which probably will have all rain gear in it.

Pak on top of king. (10 lb. limit but i have put 15 lbs. on top without any problem. make sure u have a rain cover for this bag.

on top of the bag that is on the tour pak get a 18x15 net bungie. works well to store the warm gear when the temp rises. store your warm gear and extra helmet if desired here.

wash clothes on the trip or buy underwear as you need them and toss em after use

pack rain gear, including gators. make em easy to get to.

get u and the little lady a Colorado Cool vest and a couple of arctic ties for the heat

roll clothes or vacuum pak

keep weight as low as possible.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Safety is first with someone else on the back..I can't emphasize the driving portion more than whether she will have a toothbrush when you get there..so remember.
!. Space Cushion...increase your following distance at all costs, if someone fills the space drop back.
2. Get the BIG Picture...avoid billboards..anything you cannot see over..around...under or thru..such as tractor trailers. "Stay back & see it all"
3. Keep Your Eyes Moving: Front every 2 seconds & never assume you have the right of way at any light that is green. A distracted driver will run a red & you need to anticipate that with more weight on the bike...
4.Leave Yourself an Out...or escape route...always be ready to go somewhere with the bike...& take the path of least resistance...
5. Make sure they see you...communicate in traffic...eye contact, signals...Horn...never assume they see you...because usually we find they don't.
Good luck & God's speed...take your time and you will be fine....there is no award for getting there fast....just get there in one piece...both of you.

·
Gray Beard
1,522 Posts
After years of backpacking and wildland fire I can tell ya look up pack packing list on line these guys are putting you on the right track other advice is pack your heavy gear low as possible and balanced this will give you better handling on the bike but I'm bet'n you knew that , REI or bass pro . For the light weight bags an tent I have a backpackers tent that only weighs 3 pounds and my wiggy bags are 5 lbs each and have compression sacks to get the bulk down .... First aid kit and tool bag with $100 cash in it for oh sh!t occasions, and have fun of course!!! .

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Packing tips: put underwear in pants pocket lay tshirt on pants and roll up. I tell my passenger two must. 1 NEVER put your feet down or off the floor boards unless she is getting off. 2 only get off and on when we verbally agree to do so. That way there are no surprises.
Enjoy it most of all.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Jimmy is more generous with the amount a space he is giving to his better half than I :D

Throwing in the camping gear is gonna be a tall order for you to carry riding 2 up for that many days. On our 10 day 2up trip last year Niki and I were able to put everything in the 2 Saddle Bags, Tour Pak and Tour Pak Bag like the one picture.

[/URL][/IMG]

Unless you are considering taking a trailer you will need to figure out a way to carry your camping gear utilizing the top of the Saddle Bags and even more stuff on top of the Tour Pak Bag. Check the weather for the areas you plan on staying at that time of year and if the weather is favorable you might want to consider sleeping hammock style versus a tent and sleeping bags to save room.

Along with all the other suggestions I would recommend choosing your gear way ahead of time and practice packing the bike to the fullest you are comfortable riding 2 up and taking a few rides loaded out that way before the trip.

Share whatever items the 2 of you can (toiletries and such) and only taking enough close for 2-3 days max before finding a place to wash clothes will save a lot of space.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
If you are packing with rain gear, warm riding clothes and camping gear gonna be a challenge. Be sure not to overload. I think i read somewhere that max load is 1360. someone please correct me if im wrong on this.

bike is about 850
saddleags 15 lb ea = 30
tour pak 20
tour pak bag 15
subtotal = 915 lb
that leaves about 445 for u and the little lady and camping gear

·
Registered
242 Posts
I admire you guys who rough it and camp. My idea of camping is trying to find a $49/night hotel.

I'm packing now for an 18/19-day trip. I can't imagine having to find space for camping gear.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I don't know about the camping stuff but be careful not to overload the bike it feels like its wagging its tail all over the road if you do and it gets scary.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm a trailer man on long trips 2 up. Makes life a lot easier, no overload on the bike and lots of room. If I'm camping then it's definitely a trailer, easy to carry all the stuff like sleeping bags and air mattress and a nice big tent, even chairs. Harbor Freight has a nice little trailer for $450 and I got a hidden hitch of of Ebay for $250 and the Kuryakyn wire harness for $60. I already had the trailer but just did a 10 day trip up to North Carolina and carried 4 peoples worth of stuff and got the same mileage as my buddy with an EGU. Most of the time you don't even know the trailer is there. When the trip is over I pull the hitch out of the receiver and you don't even notice the receiver is there, tucked the plug in next to the saddlebags and it looks factory. Fell free to PM me if you need any help.

·
Registered
550 Posts
As far as packing , here's my two cents. Keep the weight down low. Heavier stuff in the saddle bags. She can take anything she wants as long as she can get it in one saddle bag and half of the tour pak. NO MORE. Toiletries can be bought in any 7-11. Cheap undies, socks and tees are everywhere at Walmart. 4 days out then laundrymat for her. You take the bike and clean it up. Clean bike, clean clothes and you are off. As far as camping, my idea of that is Hampton Inn. I dont mind the heat , dirt and bugs but when I go to bed I want clean sheets and and air conditioner!!! lol
Riding safety is critical. In addition to what these guys are telling you about road safety and the issues of the extra weight, its very important you are in sync w your passenger, especially in low speed , tight areas like parking lots. I cant tell you how many bikes I have seen go down in these situations. Also, err on the cautious side. A passenger is 100% at YOUR mercy. The last thing you want is to have a pissed off, scared passenger. I guess what Im saying is ride to HER comfort level with distance, speed, etc. Dont show off your riding skills. She already knows or she wouldn't be on the back . Happy passenger equals happy trip. Also, drink lots of water, water, water and don't forget SUNSCREEN. Have fun!!!:)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all of the packing tips. Not going to buy a trailer and learn how to ride towing one of those. Gonna figure out a way. Things I normally carry- like a lot of tools, coupla cartons of cigs, dehydrated food etc will have to be displaced for other stuff.

I may give her liners to a saddlebag and the tour pak and let her know one bag is all yours, and half of the other. "Here's your space, you decide". Can't wait to see her face when I do that. LOL

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Boss and I go together all the time I put the rain gear,tools and a light jacket in one bag the other side she gets for her jackets and what ever she may need to keep her warm this time of year.When it gets warm and stays the bag is open for grandkid gifts.The TP is what we pack our clothes in and that is a pair a pant each two pairs of under ware three pairs of socks and two shirts.We do laundry most hotels have laundry if not we stop and do it.Laundry is a chance to catch up on the trip and plan for the rest of the trip.Rule is if it don't fit it don't go!!!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Andy however you decided what to take or not to take, I would do a dry run. Meaning go for a weekend camping trip. I am willing to bet you will find what you will need and not need. A few years ago I did a 14 day camping trip, I had way to much on the bike making it hard to handle on the hwy. I definitely over packed the clothes, and shoes. Lol ya i sound like my wife now! After that experience it certainly helped me with future trips. Now I hotel it, camping got to be a pain in the ass if you're not staying in one place. If I do camp again, I will ship the camping supplies to the location and plan my vacation around that area. However I did learned to properly pack when it comes to clothes and shoes :D Minimum is best! Besides if you need something, there is a Wally World close!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Pack light is how you gotta make it work. Put any heavier stuff in the bottom of the saddlebags.

if you can ship some stuff to your destination, that might help.

Roll your clothes, and vacuum seal them.

Pack the stuff you need quick access to separately, so you dont have to unpack everything just to get a sweatshirt or whatever.

Wear earplugs or earbuds so you can enjoy music and you will also have less fatigue.
Soap, toothbrush, lip balm, sunscreen, water, clean socks and underwear, comfortable shoes, and rain gear are at the top of my list. Everything else is extra.

have fun!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Andy however you decided what to take or not to take, I would do a dry run. Meaning go for a weekend camping trip. I am willing to bet you will find what you will need and not need. A few years ago I did a 14 day camping trip, I had way to much on the bike making it hard to handle on the hwy. I definitely over packed the clothes, and shoes. Lol ya i sound like my wife now! After that experience it certainly helped me with future trips. Now I hotel it, camping got to be a pain in the ass if you're not staying in one place. If I do camp again, I will ship the camping supplies to the location and plan my vacation around that area. However I did learned to properly pack when it comes to clothes and shoes :D Minimum is best! Besides if you need something, there is a Wally World close!
All of the responses have been good advice, but the dry run portion of this one, is probably the best one yet. You will truly get the feel for the bike loaded down, and will be convinced you brought too much with you.

I will only reiterate the weight distribution. Not just bulk, but left and right side. It won't take long to figure out ya f'd that up, but it's a safety issue. Definitly keep the weight as low as possible. Bags on top of the tour pak work, but when your two up, it makes the bike even more top heavy. Last and not least, once you get it all the way you like it-remember how you did it. You will be breaking down your load each and every night, and putting that puzzle together is just as important every time ya saddle up.

Have fun my friend, and ride safe.

Rowdy

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've ridden in every state but Alaska and I don't trailer. I've loaded my Deuce to the point I looked like Jed Clampett, sans the rocking chair for Granny. Besides that I've made my living the last 30+ years loading military and commercial aircraft so I get the weight distribution. A dry run is a good idea and sharing toiletries etc... thanks for the ideas. I'll make this work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Ill share shampoo, I'll share toothpaste, I'll share soap, all of this you can get in travel sized containers at your local wally world or drug store.

I wont' share a toothbrush,I won't share deodorant and I definitely won't share underwear.

Headlamp is a must if you are camping, 2 in fact, 1 for you and 1 for her. Small lightweight LED ones are best. If you leave the tent in the dark to pee, put it on. It helps you find your tent, not someone else's and he/she may not want your company:cool:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Damn I just backed out everything, Do the KOA or local state park to start as others is the best advise, plenty time to figure (many beers in the garage)before long trip. We do @30-35nights/yr twoup camping last 17yr,no trailer, no support vehicle, the liners are space hogs, we do lidhaulers, sandals hangin off the back with coffee cups clanin

1 - 20 of 33 Posts