Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Dang that would be some tall bars on a RG. I'm running 16" apes and they are shoulder height only if I sit upright. Shouched and relaxed they are over my shoulders. Granted I'm only 5'8" but they are tall bars non the less. Not sure what state your in but bars that tall will definately attract some unwanted attention from the boys in blue.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
At least 20". They have so many people that make bars. I used BR custom bars. They're great, but the build time is tooooo long.

Sent from my PG86100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Do you think 24" are too much
To each his own. Have you ridden really tall apes? Some people love 'em. For me, aside from the inevitable shoulder and back pain, there's a control issue. The RG is such a superb handling bike that at least for me, it seems that some degree of precision in maneuvering the bike would definitely be lost...

Perhaps, and then again, perhaps not, but definitely not for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was hopin they would make back feel better. I used to ride Harleys then bout 4 years ago went to a big dog rigid but i could stretch out more which made ride more comfortable.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am 6'3 and have 16 inch on mine and when I sit in normal riding position they are a lil higher than shoulder level. Hope this helps. It would be great if you could find someone with some 20 inchers and sit on it to see.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have actually seen some 20"+ plus on a roadie at a local bike night. I for one am too short to sport those, but I wasn't all that crazy with the way they looked and that dude was tall too. I think 16" and maybe push them forward to give you that forward stretch.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Not sure if this is correct, but 24" would give you about 2 feet of variation assuming 45 degrees on each side, although I don't think you can get 45 degree forward (maybe with a short windshield you could).

If you do it, please post a pick, I gotta see that.

Just a joke, you can take the Shaq approach and sit on the passenger seat and just ryde from there...

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Alamo,
Like you I'm tall as well. On my last bike a heritage springer I had a total of 22" apes. 18 on the bars and 4 inch risers. On my current Road glide I have 12" outlaws pushed all the way forward and am very happy with them. I went shorter for two major reasons. First was I didn't want to change the cables and screw with the ABS etc. Second and more importantly you sacrifice a lot of handling when you go that high with apes. Cruising is no problem but leaning hard into turns is out of the question as well as slow speed parking lot manuevers become a bitch when your that stretched out. The other problem is when the bars are that high it is hard to keep them from pushing forward or pulling back on take offs/hard stops. And I did everything short of putting a bolt through the risers. I hope this information helps. I love apes, I just want the ride to be perfect on this bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts