Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shame it took $2000 to make a touring bike have a touring ride!
I ended up going with 12" Legend out back and Progressive mono tube -1" in the front. It is amazing now thank goodness for $2000!
FYI bike is a 2009 FHTR!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I hear ya!

My 2010 Custom rear is brutal. Suspension will be replaced this winter... My 2003 Fatboy has a better ride.... WUWT?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
stock shocks

Guys I do not understand all the fuss about RGC shocks. Mine seem to ride just fine 1 up or 2 up. I weigh 235 and the little lady about 160. I keep 40 psi in the shocks whether 1 up or 2 up. Maybe the roads in Texas are better. I am pleased with my stock shocks. Just sayin.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Guys I do not understand all the fuss about RGC shocks. Mine seem to ride just fine 1 up or 2 up. I weigh 235 and the little lady about 160. I keep 40 psi in the shocks whether 1 up or 2 up. Maybe the roads in Texas are better. I am pleased with my stock shocks. Just sayin.
I imagine your smooth roads play a role. Here in Chicagoland it's crash and bang... And I've tried most every psi with no luck. The air shocks simply do not respond quick enough.

I'm 185lbs and two up or on my own it can be wicked. In fact two weeks ago we made the 8 hour ride to Ontario to visit family and took my BMW R 1100S at Marie's request for comfort. Sad when she's more comfortable on a sport bike than a $20,000 touring bike. The suspension is the culprit.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I am not a fan of my stock shocks. Luckily my wife has decided if I was just going to do nothing about the ride, she was going to purchase the the progressive 940s and I would have to install them. If she feels that strongly about it, I'm gonna let her do it. Serves me right.:eek:

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
+1 Jimmyray. The shocks on my 2010 do just fine and I'm in the pothole state of WV. Maybe it's the weight. I go 250 lbs. and have my shocks at 35 psi.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I hate my stock shocks, I live in VA and the roads here absolutely suck. You never have to look for the welcome to VA stateline, the roads just go to shit after you cross the line into this state. I have tried every PSi setting with no luck. I like the stock seat and its comforteable to me, its the damn shocks. As soon as I have the money I will be getting new shocks, just haven't decided on going with air shocks or regular spring shocks.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Shame it took $2000 to make a touring bike have a touring ride!
I ended up going with 12" Legend out back and Progressive mono tube -1" in the front. It is amazing now thank goodness for $2000!
FYI bike is a 2009 FHTR!
Glad you are finally happy notacvo!
I havent had much of a chance to ride with them yet, but I installed HD's Hand adjustable shocks I purchased from you and the ride has definitely improved.
Cant wait to get Progressive's front Monotube to really dial it in.
Initial thoughts with the Hand adjustables- Much less wobble in high speed corners, just a teeny bit of wobble (80+mph on a long sweeping 'on ramp'), Bike feels more planted to the road, like it is reacting properly, small bumps in road are now non existant, the bigger bumps in road i still feel, and are a little jolty, but not as bad as the air shocks. Very happy already! Thank you!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you are finally happy notacvo!
I havent had much of a chance to ride with them yet, but I installed HD's Hand adjustable shocks I purchased from you and the ride has definitely improved.
Cant wait to get Progressive's front Monotube to really dial it in.
Initial thoughts with the Hand adjustables- Much less wobble in high speed corners, just a teeny bit of wobble (80+mph on a long sweeping 'on ramp'), Bike feels more planted to the road, like it is reacting properly, small bumps in road are now non existant, the bigger bumps in road i still feel, and are a little jolty, but not as bad as the air shocks. Very happy already! Thank you!
You will love the mono tubes!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
You will love the mono tubes!
Awesome. I plan to do the -1 as well. is that determined by the number of c clips? I was told to just install 2 clips instead of all 3 because all 3 clips can make it a little rough ridin.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome. I plan to do the -1 as well. is that determined by the number of c clips? I was told to just install 2 clips instead of all 3 because all 3 clips can make it a little rough ridin.
The lower spring leangth determins the drop, I have to assume the clips prevent the top spring from having any slop when fully extended. I used the recomended 3 clips.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotcha. Thanks again for the replies!
And you have no complaints with all 3 c clips, not too harsh?
Campaired to stock it is a dream. I would just hate to tear back into it to add or subtract them. I am a decent wrench and it took me 2.5 hours start to finish.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have to agree with those who say stock suspension sucks. Rear shocks on my 2011 are way too stiff and the fronts are mush. There aren't a whole lot of potholes here but the tar snakes and truck bumps are brutal as the rear passes over them - damn near launches me out of the seat. Gets really old going over them every 50-100 yards. And the mushy front end is just ridiculous.

Suspension is on the ever growing list.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts