Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched for hours trying to get some help but can't seem to find the info for a 2000 glide with the air type assisted suspension.

I would like some advice and help on changing fork oil out without having to take the speed cluster off and fork caps. My service manual talked about sucking it in but I'm confused. I would also like any input on oil type and weights. Thanks

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
On my 01 i removed one bleeder screw at a time,then bought longer screws(6 mm i think),cut off the heads then drilled the centers out of the longer screw reinstalled it into the now empty fork leg,put a rubber hose on the screw,with the other end of the hose in a container of slighty more than required fork oil,then went to the air fill valve for the front forks,using a tire valve removal tool i removed the center valve,installed a vacum pump onto the fill valve and turned the pump on it will suck the fluid into the fork leg,leaving the pump run,remove hose and screw from lower leg reinstall factory screw with brass washer,turn off pump repeat for other side.this worked for me, some one else may have a better way.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Following

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright that was a messy experience but it's over. I tried filling from the top but could not get anymore than 5oz in then no more would go. I didn't have a mighty vac to suck it in with and they are expensive so I improvised.

I've been into RC for years and used a hand crank fuel pump to literally pump the oil into the fork through the bottom drain hole. I think this method would even be easier than the vac system. The pump costs $14 at any hobby shop
http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN118
It comes with tubing and a fitting that seals the hole with only light hand pressure. All you do is put one line in the bottle of oil the other in the fork hole. Then crank away in no time the bottle is empty and pull out and quickly install the drain screw. Hope this helps the next guy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the screaming eager heavy oil, it's way better than the stock. I also upgraded to the heritage style bars when I was done with the oil change. I love them.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The electric type are pricey,but i use a hand vac pump on mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts