Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new at the whole bagger bike. But loved my soft tail with 14's on it. I know most of you probably have newer RG's but maybe someone could help me. I love the monkey style bars. Does anyone know if I am able to use my stock cables if I install 12" bars on my bike? I rolled the factory bars and still dislike them. I feel this is the only option left. And without pissin my wife off for spending $379 just on the cable kit. I'm hoping someone will know the answer for using stick cables. Any input is greatly appreciated fellas. Thanks a million. Happy wife happy life!! Lol

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Don't know about the monkey bars. But the popular Factory 47 Malo bars will fit with stock lines according to them.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Heritage softail bars are perfect for my 2000. Cables fit, all exterior wires with plastic keepers. Ride all day with no shoulder pain. 4" taller than stock, look like mini apes and cheap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
I put 12" bars on my 2010 without adding any cables or extentions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jay, Do you have any pics of your bike with those bars on?
I do have Paul Yaffe oem 12" bars. Don't sure if those will fit with factory cables or not though. I got sent the wrong bars and with shipping fees and them wanting to charge me a restocking fee. It's pointless returning them

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just curious, what did you end up with? Any pics?

·
Registered
40 Posts
To answer the original question, the older bikes normally require cable extensions when going to 12" bars. My 02 needed them when the PO put 12s on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot for the pic big Gary. I appreciate the help. I have oem 12" Paul yaffe bars that American classic motors sent me. I ordered the yaffe monkey bars and got these instead! They said I have to pay shipping and then a restocking fee even though they sent the wrong ones!! So I'll probably end up using these for a little bit unfortunately. After paying shipping and restocking fee I'll get back like a meisley $60 or something stupid. Total waste of time. Ps never buy from them!! But they are similar to the heritage bars from what I can tell. They one thing that I'm worried about is, did you have to change your brake cable lines in the front? I have two calipers on the front tire. And the brake line that's at the top of the fork/handlebars doesn't seem long enough by any means. I found a +6 front brake cable for $109 on eBay. Should I probably go with gat to be safe in our opinion? Again thanks for all your help with this greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Do your research..I believe +6 is what they recommend when installed 16" bars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is what I was thinking 15-17" would be the +6. I just didn't know if I used the +6 if that would be to bulky. Or if anyone has done that and hidden the extra in the fairing somehow. Was thinking the +6 might be smart in case in the future I would want to switch them out with a 15 or 16. ive tried google searching and searching on this forum for similar topics. But haven't really figured it all out from the stuff I've read. Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts