Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some trimming and just want some opinions on fitment.

The left side needed trimmed where it meets the upper fairing. And the right side fits perfect. Just real close. I can see light between where it meets the upper fairing. Just want an opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
The fairing sopport brackets have a slot in them where they bolt to the fairing to allow for some up and down movement if I remember correctly. You may have been able to loosen the one side and push the fairing up then re-tighten.

Also... If you loosen the brackets where they mount on the engine guard you can move them a little side to side and that can move the fairing by a small amount too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fairing sopport brackets have a slot in them where they bolt to the fairing to allow for some up and down movement if I remember correctly. You may have been able to loosen the one side and push the fairing up then re-tighten.

Also... If you loosen the brackets where they mount on the engine guard you can move them a little side to side and that can move the fairing by a small amount too.
I tried that and it didnt move much. Thanks tho

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Something doesn't look right because you should have a equal gap between the fairing lowers and the upper fairing.
Which 2001 lowers are you using??
To move the upper fairing you may have to take off the outer fairing and loosen the inner fairing bolts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are those the vented or non vented lowers? I have a set that I haven't tried to put on my '15 yet.
Non vented

Something doesn't look right because you should have a equal gap between the fairing lowers and the upper fairing.
Which 2001 lowers are you using??
To move the upper fairing you may have to take off the outer fairing and loosen the inner fairing bolts.
From an Ultra. So is my upper fairing lower on one side stock?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Your fairing might be slightly different from one side to the other. OR it could be that the lowers are mounted slightly different, they don't have a precise positioning system.

Mine are the vented lowers that are supposed to fit through '13. I haven't gotten around to mounting them yet; I haven't decided if I want to change the fairing supports or cut the caps. If I can get there in the next couple days I will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your fairing might be slightly different from one side to the other. OR it could be that the lowers are mounted slightly different, they don't have a precise positioning system.

Mine are the vented lowers that are supposed to fit through '13. I haven't gotten around to mounting them yet; I haven't decided if I want to change the fairing supports or cut the caps. If I can get there in the next couple days I will let you know how it turns out.
That would be awesome. I'm ready to send these to paint. I got it trimmed and set up and don't think it looks bad at all. Just never installed lowers and was curious why the one side needed trimmed.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts

If your lowers will fit through 13' they will fit through 15'. The engine guard hasn't changed. Just FYI.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If your lowers will fit through 13' they will fit through 15'. The engine guard hasn't changed. Just FYI.

True but the '14 and newer vented lowers have sure changed. They weren't even designed for air cooled bikes, far less air flow.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I run them on my 12' and they have way more airflow than you would think just by looking at them. They may have a little less but I wouldn't say far less.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts

The upper fairing is the same on both sides and if one side is lower or higher than the other it is because the inner fairing is out of adjustment.

The fairing only has to be raised on the 2009 and earlier models the 2010 and later models already have the fairing brackets needed to install vented fairing lowers.

The top cap on the fairing lowers that were made between 1983 and 2009 have a longer stem that goes down the crashbar and that stem will need to be trimmed in order for the lower fairing caps to clear the upper fairing supports that are on the crash bar. The reason why the stem is longer on the 1983 to 2009 fairing caps is because the earlier vented fairing lowers were designed for the batwing bikes and there was no fairing support bracket to interfere with the mounting of the lower fairings.
The 2010 and later lower fairing caps have a shorter stem that goes down the crash bar and it will fit the Road Glide with no trimming.

If you have a 2010 and later bike then the vented fairing lowers will fit and clear the upper fairing and the only trimming would be on the cap stem if you use the earlier fairing lowers.
Any other trimming is a sign that there is something wrong and it needs to be corrected and additional trimming of the fairing caps or the upper fairing is not the correct fix.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
mark,

real good explanation of the differences, but one thing you missed. he is using the early style non-vented fairing lowers.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
mark,

real good explanation of the differences, but one thing you missed. he is using the early style non-vented fairing lowers.
Thanks Scratch I didn't notice that.

The same holds true for the non-vented HD fairing lowers except for the Road Glide specific non-vented fairing lowers. HD made 2 styles of non-vented fairing lowers and the non-vented fairing lowers for the 1983 to 2013 Batwings have a different style cap then the vented fairing lowers but it still has the stem going down the crash bar and that stem needs to be trimmed.
Also the non-vented fairing lowers for the Batwing are taller than the Road Glide specific non-vented fairing lowers.
The Non-Vented fairing lowers for the Batwing will fit the 2010 and later Road Glide without raising the upper fairing, the 2009 and earlier models will need to have the Road Glide specific fairing lowers or the upper fairing will need to be raised with the 2010 fairing brackets.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Scratch I didn't notice that.

The same holds true for the non-vented HD fairing lowers except for the Road Glide specific non-vented fairing lowers. HD made 2 styles of non-vented fairing lowers and the non-vented fairing lowers for the 1983 to 2013 Batwings have a different style cap then the vented fairing lowers but it still has the stem going down the crash bar and that stem needs to be trimmed.
Also the non-vented fairing lowers for the Batwing are taller than the Road Glide specific non-vented fairing lowers.
The Non-Vented fairing lowers for the Batwing will fit the 2010 and later Road Glide without raising the upper fairing, the 2009 and earlier models will need to have the Road Glide specific fairing lowers or the upper fairing will need to be raised with the 2010 fairing brackets.
Why does it need to be trimmed on the crash bar? To move it closer?

Am I dead in the water with where I trimmed mine?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Why does it need to be trimmed on the crash bar? To move it closer?

Am I dead in the water with where I trimmed mine?

Thanks for the help
The stem on the Batwing non-vented fairing lowers need to be trimmed to clear the upper fairing support mount that attaches to the crash bar. If you have the non-vented Road Glide specific fairing lowers then you don't need to trim anything.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well I got around to mounting my lowers, they are take-offs from an '09. Mounted up just fine after I took about 2.5" off the stem on the lower fairing cap. There is about 1/8" clearance between the cap and the fairing supports on both sides.

On another note, lowers on a shark are much more effective at cutting wind than on a batwing. They greatly reduced the wind coming up of the lowers sides of the fairing and made a big difference to the amount of buffeting at my glasses. The next time they come off will be for paint, then right back on. Make a great ride even better IMO.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I got around to mounting my lowers, they are take-offs from an '09. Mounted up just fine after I took about 2.5" off the stem on the lower fairing cap. There is about 1/8" clearance between the cap and the fairing supports on both sides.

On another note, lowers on a shark are much more effective at cutting wind than on a batwing. They greatly reduced the wind coming up of the lowers sides of the fairing and made a big difference to the amount of buffeting at my glasses. The next time they come off will be for paint, then right back on. Make a great ride even better IMO.
Good to know. I just adjusted my whole upper fairing up a quarter inch on the left side. It was crooked from the dealer. They fit good now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts