Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My S&S T-111 motor crapped out in Sturgis (grrrr...) so I'm in a quandary as to the best replacement. Someone told me an EVO motor (Example: EL-Bruto engines) would bolt right-in to my 2002 frame. Can someone verify that? True/False?

Thanks,

S-

· Registered
2,001 Posts
I had a 2001,if memory serves me correctly the trans and engine are bolted together,so with this being said unless someone makes an adapter i kinda doubt that it will,the EVO has an external oil pump,and your twin cam's oil pump is on the bottom of the oil pan.How many miles are on your S&S 111,i was thinking of getting one for my 89 FLHS.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, your S&S motor would be evo-based and mine is a TC...so I'm not sure how the S&S "evo" motors hold up. My TC had less than 3,000 miles on it before it puked a connecting rod. I'm between a rock and a hard-place in terms of replacing it at this point. A complete over-haul would only cost approx. $4k whereas going in a completely new direction would be significantly more. Problem is, everything I have for my 2002 FLTR is matched to the T-111 engine. (Carb, intake, ignition, and a 2-1 exhaust by Dragos). I'm struggling with what to do...where to go at this point. People seem to rave about the S&S T-124...but for me, I've lost a lot of confidence in the quality.

· Registered
2,001 Posts
Have you contacted S&S about this,with only 3000 miles on it i would think they would make it right with you.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's my understanding they're using a 5 - piece crank which is what came undone. I won't buy another engine with a 5 - piece crank. Too many additional parts that can shake loose....just my humble opinion.

· Registered
218 Posts
i cant say anything to the quality of S&S stuff cause i have never owned anything they have made, as for a replacement engine, i would check ebay for a good low-mile motor. look for the motorcycle "junkyard" companies listing parts. ive searched a few times just out of curiosity and the good sellers post a video of the bike running before the engine was removed and they also note the mileage. ive seen TC88's with 30k miles for 1500-1900. it is always a gamble buying a used motor (or motorcycle) anyway, but verifying the seller and seeing if they provide some kind of warranty (even if its only 30 days) would be cheap insurance. good luck on what ever you decide to do and keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.