Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 RG. I have been debating trading in for a 15 special. I have no issues with my bike just would like a bigger engine, 6 speed, but not to much more.

So the question(s) come in whats the better deal. Upgrade mine to a 1??" (103/117/124) with a 6 speed and do a little customizing to give a little different look.
or
Buy a new one with the 103" 6 speed stock in it. And go from there...

I know there are more features but just thought i would get everyone thoughts. May help me make a choice.

Here is what my bike looks today.

Attachments

· Registered
1,090 Posts
Dude we have the same bike. Same paint. Keep it. Lots you can do. Might have something newer one day but never get rid of my 03. Nice looking bike.

· Registered
1,243 Posts
It's up to you. It's not too hard to upgrade yours, but there are lots of other improvements between and '03 and a '15 over and above the motor that you can't upgrade. If you are talking the kind of money that it would take to upgrade the motor and transmission then if it were me I'd sell the current bike and get into a new one. Better frame, suspension, audio, not to mention that if you spend the coin on your current bike it will stock be valued at an '03. Spend the money in a new bike and it will at least hold a higher value for a period of time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
273 Posts
Tough decision for sure.

I don't know what the total cost would be to upgrade the engine and transmission on your current ride, but you would have to compare that to starting with a new ride that has the engine and transmission you want that will also be like a clean canvas - you'll get to start customizing all over again.

Like I said, tough decision for sure. I'm no help.

· Registered
137 Posts
I went the upgrade route on my 05. You can do the upgrades on your schedule as your finances allow, rather than having that monthly payment that usually comes with a new bike. Would a new bike be nice? Of course it would. But this one is paid for and I've got it just about where I want it. If you are like me, you will end up doing the same mods on the new bike anyway, so why not save the payment and put it in the bike you have. In fact, if I did buy a new one, I'd want the Baker 7 speed instead of the stock 6 speed right from the start. And then the list goes on and on from there.

The frame and ABS are two things you can't change. How many people on here are running a bone stock audio system? Probably very few. How many are running with the stock suspension? Some, but look at all the audio, suspension, and engine improvement threads are out here, including the 15's. It all depends on what you want to do with the bike and what mods are important to you. There are as many pros as cons on this. It boils down to what you want your bike to be, what you can afford, and how fast you can afford it.

· Registered
27 Posts
I'll put my two cents in. I came from a 07 street glide and moved to a 13 cvo road glide. I noticed a huge difference from riding my dads 03 ultra classic to my 07 and going from that to the 13 cvo even more. New ones handle so much better than the older ones. You don't realize driving the older bike but when you jump on a new one you will be surprised how much better they ride. At least go take one for a test drive and see the difference. Also putting all that money into that 03 in this stage might as well burn it bc you ain't getting anything back if you do decide to sell it in a few years ask my dad how he knows. I'm not sure on your miles but stuff starts getting fragile they start to nickel and dime you.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
I put a bunch of $$ into my '09, and then traded it for a '15. They are that much better. You'll never get close no matter how much $$ you pour into your current bike. Cut your loses and go for it.

· Gone But Not Forgotten
3,967 Posts
.....You'll never get close no matter how much $$ you pour into your current bike. ...
....... this is what's kept me from going into the motor on Flash.
... while i'd really like a few more CI and the 6 spd, bigger tank, better brakes, etc, etc
.. '05 does everything i need it to do as it sits (& it's sitting way more than it should so far this year :()
.... that said, when the MoCo builds what i want in the right color, i'm movin' on up.

· Registered
98 Posts
Also just read your profile...and as 100edition said, Thank you for your service! And apparently we have the same interests! ;)

As far as the bike goes, I have to agree with bucketlisthd. The newer bikes ride so smooth!! And I'm only 30 so I cant speak for the veteran gliders out there, but isn't that why we bought touring bikes anyway? I loved all my "bar-hopper" bikes back in the day but I just can't get over how these new bikes ride. If I had to describe the ride in one word it would be "TIGHT". Everything about the way it handles, accelerates, brakes, etc. Then add the sixth gear and cruise control, now you're literally GLIDING!

· Registered
140 Posts
You might want to check out the Zippers performance kits.I have it in my glide and I'm more than satisfied. Great HP and Torque #'s at a fraction of a new bike cost. With the TMax autotune option I will never spend a dime on dyno tuning either. Site sponsor also. Good Luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.