Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally bought my Harley this last June of 2015, A 2004 Road Glide with 15,000 original miles. Ive wanted a Bagger forever and sick of seeing the same old Street Glide or Electra. I found the bike online at a local dealer, went to look at it and it was clean. The low miles and it didn't even look like anyone's rode it. They wouldn't budge on price so I walked away. Few weeks later the bike was still there so I emailed the same sales guys and they finally came around. Took it for a test drive and I was hooked. I really wanted something I wouldn't see at every bike night and the fact its a road glide and the color was it.
This was the day I brought her home.

First thing was to get rid of the yellow turn signals and stock tail light,

·
Registered
654 Posts
Great lookn bike Mike. Wish mine was that color. Black shows every spec of dust.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Totally miss my bike, had the same color. I loved it because I would hit a show and not see another the same color. Min e just had too many miles and I wanted the tech upgrades. Enjoy from San Diego

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nice Start

Looks like an original color and a good place to start.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody, It was super clean when I got. That was just the tip of the iceberg for modifications, Ive been busy all winter.
I started my research here and various other threads. First thing was to purchase a set of Cyclevision +2 bars from another form member.

After doing a bunch of research I decided to do a 18" air strike with a full on Brembo conversion. Pretty much scored everything online for a screaming deal. So I collected everything over the summer while putting some miles on the bike. Finally winter came around and started the tear the bike apart.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to switch it up and add some black to the bike to really make this color pop. So tore apart the front end to have the lowers, stock rotors from a 2010 and the new handle bars powder coated black

After the parts were back from powder coating, I went ahead and internally wired the handle bars for a clean look.

I reassembled the front end with 15 weight fork oil for better performance and a complete slider rebuild.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I had also purchased everything to add the street glide rear fascia as I think it really fills in the rear of the bike, added a LED tri bar and sent it off to paint. I also bought a set of lowers for a street glide and bought the 2010 inner fairing support and turn signal supports. On top of that I also bought a chopped tour pack after the wife complained her back hurt after a 4 hour cruise.

At the same time I kept my paint guy busy with the inner fairing, upper cow bells, and speedo cluster. I really wanted something different and I think I've only ever seen 2 bikes with this done before but I had the hand controls painted to match as well.

As I went along almost every piece of chrome was removed and cleaned and waxed. The frame and every little bit I could get to was cleaned and waxed. I sanded the head fins to remove pitting. After a long 3 months of waiting for my parts I finally got everything back and started assembly.
So on went the 18" wheel, a flush mount axel, the Brembo calipers, chrome hardware, and a braided stainless line to complete the look.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Time to assemble the bars and speedo cluster, had to add a braided brake line for the look.

I feel bad, as I wanted to really document this build for others. I found in my search a lot of people saying something could be done and then 2 posts latter saying no. But as I got going I go so excited to see the finished product I forgot to take a lot of pictures along the way.

Next was the inner fairing, bolting the rear back together and putting everything back in place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Also converted the headlight bucket and bezel to the newer style and painted the piece to match the accent silver.

Finally after putting the lowers on and finishing everything else, I added a black pin stripe to the graphics to really complete the look. Bought a set of black mirrors to match the black handles and black accents.

I couldn't be happier with the results. These pictures were from last weekend when I finally got to take it out after sitting all winter. It rode great, had a small rattle because I forgot to tighten one bolt. Still have a few parts I'm waiting on. Ordered the rest of the braided lines, a couple more black accent pieces like the saddle bag latches. I also ordered a Rockford amp and speaker kit, and powered hidden antenna. Also waiting for the quick detach tour pack mount so I can get that mounted.

If anyone has questions about the modifications I am more than happy to answer questions.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,041 Posts
Looks much improved, nice job. Looking from the front with the black fork lowers, dark smoke windshield, black mirrors, etc., did you give any thought to the headlight surround/bezel being black? Don't know if it would look good or not as I've never seen that done with this color. Anyways, what's next when you get the piggy bank restocked?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks much improved, nice job. Looking from the front with the black fork lowers, dark smoke windshield, black mirrors, etc., did you give any thought to the headlight surround/bezel being black? Don't know if it would look good or not as I've never seen that done with this color. Anyways, what's next when you get the piggy bank restocked?
It didn't cross my mind at all, I painted it silver before i had everything together. Makes we want to buy another and see how it looks now though.

Bank needs to restock for some time now. I do have the rest of the braided lines that need to be installed, waiting for the quick detach bracket for the tour pack. I got plans for maybe latter this summer doing a real air ride. and looking into Brembo rears. Then just ridding the hell out of it for the summer.

Hoping next winter is power upgrades. I will keep the thread going as i go.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts