Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 05 Roadie had a complete electrical shutdown,only the odometer and brakelight lit up. we checked all connections removed and checked the regulator it showed 12 volts on the 3 pins of the connector which my manual said makes it bad, reassembled to take to shop to have everything checked, Whala the thing started up everything worked and it is 14.4 volts charging. now I am scared to ride knowing it could happen again, Any thought on this. Thanks Mike

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Corrosion on the pins. Clean every connection you had apart really well, and use a light coating of dielectric grease.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
I believe the 05 has the 35 or 40 amp breaker which has a history of going bad and shutting down the entire bikes electrical system.
When the breaker starts to go bad it will overheat and the breaker kicks in shutting down the system, the breaker will reset itself when it cools.
This is a common problem and replacing the breaker is the fix, many people replace the breaker with a 40 amp master fuse.
This is just one possible cause for you to check because there is many things that can cause electrical issues. Make sure to check all the ground connections too.
You voltage regulator will not cause the problem you have.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I believe the 05 has the 35 or 40 amp breaker which has a history of going bad and shutting down the entire bikes electrical system.
When the breaker starts to go bad it will overheat and the breaker kicks in shutting down the system, the breaker will reset itself when it cools.
+1... This is the problem I've seen a few times. pretty sure there was a recall and the Moco will fix that for You if You want them to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turned out to be corroded ignition switch took apart and cleaned applied dielectric grease.Hope this helps someone

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
That would do it!
Glad you found the problem, a bad ignition switch isn't a very common problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts