Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought 2005 road glide with 44K miles,lots of upgrades. The poor guy had back issues so it sat about 1 1/2 years, but kept it garaged and installed new battery before I bought it, it only had about .8 in gas tank and was running, smelled OK so I added a cap of seafoam and 4.2 gallons of premium and it ran great for about 25 miles, started right up with no issues, then coming home it barely ran, made horrible noise in front and started spitting and sputtering, I nursed it back to home about 6 miles as it ran a tad better with no gas throttle but in higher gears, low RPM. Babied it all the way so as not to get stuck somewhere. Checked for codes. no codes found on all checks... any ideas? I thought possibly fouled plugs or? love to get suggestions or solution... Thanks...Glad to have a bike again it was about a year without one....most comfy bike I've ever ridden... Im dying to go for a long ride... Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've seen similar symptoms when the plastic hoses inside the tank for the fuel pump etc crack. Could be worth a check, especially if bike had been sitting that long with no fuel.

·
Super Moderator
9,835 Posts
Welcome, from New York, to The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
Congrats on The Glide.
What @OZ_872 stated is good information.
A fuel pressure gauge will be needed or removal of the hoses to visually inspect to see if this is “The Issue”.
An easier start would be to check the spark plugs and wires.
Keep Us Posted on Your Progress and ask any questions that You may have.
Best of Luck!
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Welcome with your first post, post pics soon of said 05 Rig. Any other work done on TC88? FI I'm assuming, low miles shouldn't have issues with tensioners? (Check or replace shoes)...Like @Mike U, the greatest Super duper Moderator said, check common hose, lines, etc.
Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A buddy just had a similar situation with an older bike that had been sitting for a year or so. Turns out the inside of the fuel tank was completely corroded. Do you have access to a camera or bore scope to take a peek?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh. PA!

Yea, sounds like some crud came loose and went into the carb. Furl filter needs checked / replaced. Go over the entire fuel system.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy and welcome,
I had a similar problem years ago. Stopped to fill up on the way home. Next day bike started fine, but after a mile or two was surging and sputtering, nursed it home. Turned out to be a bad temp sensor. When cold it ran fine, but as it warmed up it didn't adjust for the warmer engine and was running rich. However, I did get a code that told me it was the sensor.
Hope this helps, and hope you find the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Howdy and welcome,
I had a similar problem years ago. Stopped to fill up on the way home. Next day bike started fine, but after a mile or two was surging and sputtering, nursed it home. Turned out to be a bad temp sensor. When cold it ran fine, but as it warmed up it didn't adjust for the warmer engine and was running rich. However, I did get a code that told me it was the sensor.
Hope this helps, and hope you find the problem.
thats what I thought it was but running code check stated no code so Im thinking the other fixes listed cracked hose or junk in carb might be the solution...thanks for response!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A buddy just had a similar situation with an older bike that had been sitting for a year or so. Turns out the inside of the fuel tank was completely corroded. Do you have access to a camera or bore scope to take a peek?
no but will check with mechanic

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
Check to see if it does it again cold. Take it for a ride again. If it only does it hot , it's probably electrical. If it does it at start up again probably mechanical.
I'd start with new plugs and wires since they could be very old.

·
Registered
373 Posts
A 2005 with 44k miles needs the cam chain tensioner checked like right now! First order of business after getting it running again.

If it's a carbed bike check the vacuum line to the fuel petcock and make sure the petcock is passing fuel.

Sent from my coal fired pay phone

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I do agree with you checking the cam chain tensioner, you can also do a quick check by cutting the oil filter in half , if you see orange partials then you may have a problem.
Now with the running issues the first thing to check is inside the fuel tank, replace the fuel filter and the fuel lines, cracked fuel lines are a common problem with the earlier models.
One way to check for cracked fuel lines is to fill the fuel tank and run the bike if it runs good at first and the to start running bad when fuel level drops then the fuel lines are the problem.
Even though the gas smelled good you could have a gummed up carb and the way it sounds you could have a gummed up high speed jet.
No matter what a good tune up and fluid change would be the best thing you need to do, check the primary chain tensioner and a brake shoe replacement is advisable.
When ever I buy any used vehicle I do the basic maintenance things because then I know that the basic items are done and then I know when to preform service in the future. JMO

Mark

Reactions: DanHappy

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Fuel is most likely the issue. But there was one bike with fuel injection that the butterfly shaft broke. It worked most of the time but sometimes the shaft didn't turn the butterfly. Rare deal but something to keep in the back of your mind if it's not fuel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Recently bought 2005 road glide with 44K miles,lots of upgrades. The poor guy had back issues so it sat about 1 1/2 years, but kept it garaged and installed new battery before I bought it, it only had about .8 in gas tank and was running, smelled OK so I added a cap of seafoam and 4.2 gallons of premium and it ran great for about 25 miles, started right up with no issues, then coming home it barely ran, made horrible noise in front and started spitting and sputtering, I nursed it back to home about 6 miles as it ran a tad better with no gas throttle but in higher gears, low RPM. Babied it all the way so as not to get stuck somewhere. Checked for codes. no codes found on all checks... any ideas? I thought possibly fouled plugs or? love to get suggestions or solution... Thanks...Glad to have a bike again it was about a year without one....most comfy bike I've ever ridden... Im dying to go for a long ride... Thanks!
Update. This bike had a leak in gas tank hose as stated by one of my responses so we fixed that issue, then no spark. Crankshaft sensor was loaded with metal chips so had to go in and found the cam bearing broke, flywheel, oil pump and kaboom everything metal shreaded. Looking to rebuild her. Anyone recommend best parts place online for complete kit. This bike was supposed to have been upgraded to 103 but after tearing apart found it was original 88. I was told bye mechanic to keep the 88 and original and just do rebuild. any ideas on complete rebuild kits with oil pump bearings, flywheel, etc... also whats the typical cost if there is such a thing for rebuilding an engine parts and labor... He says about $ 1500 labor plus parts working out of his garage instead of shop.. Thanks for sharing and all responses in advance...

·
Administrator
11,819 Posts
That's messed up , makes you wonder if the seller was being on the up and up ..

Without being a scmott azz , which I am . How much do you want to spend ? If it needs new flying wheels ??
Really open ended question , if the cylinders and heads are good and the wheels are good , you just need pistons and such and a cam chest rebuild , cam chest upgrade is around 1800 iirc , but that's everything you need in the kit .
HD wheels last I checked were around 8 bills , S&S around 1600.
Harley has long and short blocks available as well

JtB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
According to mechanic all major parts needs replacing like oil pump, flywheel , cam bearing, tensioner, wont know about other issues until broke down and inspected. He stated 1500 labor plys parts. Im guessing about 4-5 grand for everything. I just dont know how much damage until we get it apart. Thanks for response

·
Administrator
11,819 Posts
If you're not looking at building a hot rod and there is a decent dealer around , check into the long block , they take your left case with the VIN and send it to HD and in a few weeks you get a fresh motor minus the cam chest and intake .. My 103 is about 4800 last I checked .. And if you're OK with a different VIN on the motor they will ship you a short block for a tad over 2000 ..

JtB

1 - 20 of 20 Posts