Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will be my 3rd summer with my RG. Some of you may remember or read that I inherited this bike from my dad, who passed away in January 2015. Hard to believe it has been 3 years, there is still a wound in me that hasn't healed.

After reading through some of the builds, looking at photos, and getting some experience on his bike I've decided to do a major refresh over the next 2 years. I work overseas, so I am away from my family about 7 months a year, the good news is I'm home and off for 5 months of the year. When I'm home it's pretty much %100 family time and I don't make much room for wrenching anymore, so I'll be having a local shop do most of my work.

This year:

- Tires (Pirelli night dragons)
- 21" Fat spoke front wheel
- Brake pads and rotors
- 14" apes
- Paul Yaffee front LED turn signals
- Lower profile rear plate holder and tail lights
- Lepera solo seat
- Full paint
- Progressive rear suspension
- LED headlights (Chinese from the ebay link on this site)

To do before 2019 riding season

- Either a 97" or 100" big bore, or maybe a S&S crate engine or there is local company (Merchmotors) that makes a a 100" that puts out 100HP 107 ft/lbs. If I do the big bore kit I will likely get the heads done and obviously new cams.
- Baker 6 speed

As with any build the list will continue to grow I'm sure. Your input is all appreciated. So far I've had all my work done at a local shop in Moncton NB. Dog House cycles. Guys are really stand up and have been emailing me pics of the progress while I'm away at work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adding to the list already. Something small. My bike has a really short windshield, and the stock one. I've always liked the look of the shorter windshield but at 6'2" I'm taking a lot of wind in my face. I've been thinking about going with a Klock werks 8" flare windshield, I really like the way it looks, but I was concerned it wouldn't do enough. So I pulled the trigger on their 12" tinted windshield. I think it still will look good, but the function will be much better than the 8". Be back in town on the weekend and really looking forward to getting my bike back.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I think it's fantastic that you are making your dads bike the way you want it now.

I would have done the same thing verse selling it off.

Congrats and make sure to post up some pictures once you have it all back together.

Sorry to hear that your dad has passed as well but I'm sure he is looking down on you and is very proud of what you are doing.

Swomack

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Adding to the list already. Something small. My bike has a really short windshield, and the stock one. I've always liked the look of the shorter windshield but at 6'2" I'm taking a lot of wind in my face. I've been thinking about going with a Klock werks 8" flare windshield, I really like the way it looks, but I was concerned it wouldn't do enough. So I pulled the trigger on their 12" tinted windshield. I think it still will look good, but the function will be much better than the 8". Be back in town on the weekend and really looking forward to getting my bike back.
2 things i would suggest (if i may):

1. the 2010-13 and up fairing mounts. raises the fairing and tilts it just a hair. allows you to be able to use the same fairing lowers as the batwings do. previous to this, there were specific, non-vented lowers for the road glides.

2. the 2010-13 headlight mounts. gives it a more modern, clean look. plus, if your headlight bulb burns out, you don't have to remove the fairing to replace it.

both of these are relatively inexpensive as well.

looking good, i'm sure your dad would be proud.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 things i would suggest (if i may):

1. the 2010-13 and up fairing mounts. raises the fairing and tilts it just a hair. allows you to be able to use the same fairing lowers as the batwings do. previous to this, there were specific, non-vented lowers for the road glides.

2. the 2010-13 headlight mounts. gives it a more modern, clean look. plus, if your headlight bulb burns out, you don't have to remove the fairing to replace it.

both of these are relatively inexpensive as well.

looking good, i'm sure your dad would be proud.
Thanks for the idea's. I'm not really a fan of lowers, to me it makes the bike look too bulky. To each their own though. As for the headlight mounts, I just ordered a set of Chinese daymakers, would these still work if I updated the mounts?

Keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
they should work with the updated mounts. the big thing that you notice with the mounts is that with the old style, the headlights mount from behind. with the new style, they mount from the front (ergo negating the need to remove your fairing to change them)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking for suggestions on rear suspension. I'm 6'2" and 225lbs. Ride solo. I was thinking either progressive 412 or go with Ohlins. Length, brand, and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
between the two, i think you'll be happier with ohlins. progressives, esp. 412s, have a bad rap for being harsh.

whatever you decide, i would recommend staying with the 13'' instead of going 12''. you'll get a better ride out of it.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
there are other options as well, but progressive are down at the bottom of the list. there are quite a few other threads on shock choices, i can't really make a specific recommendation (i'm still riding the stock premium hand adjustables.....) but there are a bunch of folks who have gone with the others and have been extremely pleased. you just have to make your decision based on the information available.

good luck, and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Bike is coming together nicely. As skratch said there are lots of options when it comes to suspension & most are gonna be better then stock. I’m happy with my supershox, made right here in the US & you can return them if your not happy with them so you really can’t go wrong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You’re not in Canada though.

He’s next door to Merch sooooo....I’m thinking 131 Merch. FTW!!!

I haven’t been by to talk about price yet. The 131 is a monster but if the 100 puts out 100+ numbers reliably, that’s all I want. I’ll ask while I’m there though, and I’ll let ya know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I haven’t been by to talk about price yet. The 131 is a monster but if the 100 puts out 100+ numbers reliably, that’s all I want. I’ll ask while I’m there though, and I’ll let ya know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Also, keep in mind....you have options. On my 06, I went with the Frank Dragos (he's as highly recommended as they come) Stage 2.5 98" kit and Dragula 2into1 pipe and LOVE it. 110 HP and 106 TQ. Probably cost me about $5000 total but it's a lot cheaper than a typical full rebuild. You can see details in my build thread.

I'm sure the Merch 97" would make similar numbers with the same cam and porting. Hell, some would make more torque as I went with a cam made more for charging hard in the higher RPMs instead of a "torque down low" cam like most do.

Then once I went with the Baker 6 speed.....it was like adding another 20 hp as the final drive ratio is changed.

As far as suspension.....what ever shocks you choose you're GONNA want to do the Progressive Suspension Monotubes in front and I highly recommend the Progressive Suspension Touring Link as well. With those and the Progressive 970 Shocks I went with.....I just can't imagine a better ride.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts