Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have about 200 miles on my new to me 2006 RG fuel injected. I got it pretty cheap and it only has about 8600 miles on it. I did some research before I bought it and know about the timing tensioner, figure I have about 8k miles before I hve to worry, true? I took it on a long ride today and have some questions:

Throttle: seems to have some slack in the cables, turns back and fort 10 degrees without doign anything, Can I just adjust the cables, how should the throttle feel? I read in the manual that the cruise control won't work right if its incorrectly tightened.

Do the rear brakes work well on these bikes? I got in an emergency stop and the rear brake just locked up and stunk like rubber but didn't really slow me down. could be the tire is old and hard but its a heavy bike should it bite more?

Front brake lever, does not appear to be pulled all the way home. You can wiggle the handle about a 1/4"before the brake starts to work. The front brakes are amazing.

seems very cold blooded, starts right up but Will die if you come to a stop at the end of the street if you don't rev it.

Has some kind of Vance adn Hines exhaust that is very loud. The PO stated that they add a lot of power, is the extra power worth the racket at 80. How much do you really think they add? I will say everyone around me knows I'm there which is a good thing! Its like driving with my horn blowing,

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh, Pa!

Maybe the brake fluid system needs an overall. Fluid and pads. The caliper might need a good checkout as well.

All I got. Let's see some pics too.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
706 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The cam tensioners do not specifically have a “go bad” mileage. However, most check them at 20-25k mark. Yes you can adjust the throttle/idle cables. Follow the manual when doing so. Majority of brake power is in the front brakes as there are 2 up front and only 1 in the rear. I would change the fluid in front and rear as it is supposed to be changed every two years. If it’s dying at stops, clean the IAC, check the sensors and check to see if you have the problematic 8 degree injectors or the updated 25 degree injectors. Fuel lines in the tank can get pinholes as well. 06’s had a few issues but otherwise a good year.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
First off; welcome to the forum from the Circle City. I'm sure some guys with much more knowledge than me will chime in after while; one reason this forum is so great. I picked up an '04 from my cousin a year ago; like the look much better than the Rushmore's. At 27k the tensioner shoes on mine were gone; upgraded to the hydraulic tensioner system. Stories have been told of them failing at 15k; for the cost of a gasket I'd recommend pulling the cover and taking a peek,(PO might not have been good at changing oil,etc), for peace of mind I'd take a look. I've always let all my bikes warm up good b4 taking off; worth the extra 2-3 minutes. ( somebody just chimed in) My rear brake is not great but these are not anti-lock brakes and I haven't been in an Os..t situation. I had to bleed the front brakes, same situation, they're perfect now. It's a new(to you) bike and an old bike; even though it doesn't have many miles; if you're not a good wrench I would suggest finding a good independent bike shop and have them give the bike a thorough going over. Just my .02 Again, you'll get a lot of feedback probably before the nights over. Congrats on the new scoot and welcome.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Welcome to the RG and to a great forum. 2006 last of the TC 88, last of the 5 speed. 2006 and 8,000 miles it has been sitting a lot. You can bet services were not done. With luck a good flush of brake system will cure any brake issues up. The tensioner can be a time boom. Upgrade to HYD version and ride on in peace.
Good luck with getting it fully road ready

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the new bike. Your questions have already been addressed. I’d follow the suggestions above and most importantly use both brakes for urgent stops but the front brakes are where you’ll get most of your braking. Heavy on the rear and you’ll lock it up.

Reactions: DanHappy

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. 8k miles on a 15 yr old bike. I would think it needs to be ridden. Sea foam has always been my friend. Jmo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, thanks all. I cut my teeth on Indians at 17, been riding and wrenching since then. I will have to get a manual but I am a vintage Mustang guy and a regular on the Vintage Mustang Forum so I knew If I found the right forum, I would be taken care of. Nice to met you all, I'll post some photos. The only question left is what do you think the exhaust adds HP wise, I am tempted to find some quieter mufflers, these are mind numbing at 80 and here in FL, on 95, everyone does 80, after a half hour its pretty crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Late as usual........BUT

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new scoot. I had an 06 and what was mentioned is solid advice. Especially on the cam tensioners, the only problem with pulling the cover, is the rear tensioner wears more than the front one. If you pull it apart to check the rear, it would be foolish to put the spring loaded ones back in. Harley makes a kit with hydraulic tensioners that work off engine oil pressure....way better. With the bike sitting, ??maybe?? they have dried out without oil splashing up on them. When the shoes come apart, it gets messy and expensive.
Also excellent advice on the injectors, those narrow 8 degree spray pattern, are cold blooded.
I forgot the issues I had with them, drivability was bad

Good Luck, and there are plenty of guys here that are well versed on those Twin Cams

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,749 Posts
Welcome to the forum, that's a nice looking 06 you picked up.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Welcome, from New York, to The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
Congrats on The Glide.
As has been previously stated, the issues You are having have already been very well addressed.
Best of Luck.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can change out the mufflers to quieter ones or if they are a set that offer quieter baffles you can change out just the baffles. Any loss of power would not be noticed as you’re not running it on a flat track.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Welcome to the tank from north Florida!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Loud free flowing mufflers don't mean more power. Lot of options. If you want great budget mufflers with baffles you can change if you wish. Look at Fuel Moto Jack pots. Come in Chrome or Black.
Stright cut, Down or up slash. Not loud good for power.
Budget does not mean cheap. There is nothing cheap about how they are made.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Congrats, Welcome to the Tank from Texas and enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for the warm welcomes, my RG seems to be growing on me. I wasn’t too impressed at first -Itook in in partial trade for a motorhome - found it loud and bulky but I’m settling into it. I’m realizing it does what it does well. Gotta love those high beams!!! Its an odd mix of old school and new tech. Can’t get used to the radio though, its kinda irritating and distracting but nice to plug in the iphone and have the bitch’n betty gimme directions Seems like I always want to putt now, I’m out of salt - take the RG. ;o)

Still a lot of muscle memory in this old body. Hand wanting to retard the spark when I first get on. Seems wierd to push a button and hear a roar. Fingers looking for toggle turn signals. My last bike was a 61 pan survivor I drove a LOT in Colorado. Been 5 years no putt. Having a lot of fun... I’m on the Space coast in case there are brothers around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome aboard. In 2006 I went from an 80 shovel head to my 06 RG. I still miss the shovel but love the RG. One other thing to watch for inside the fairing. The back of the radio rubs on the front fairing. I found it by accident wrapping up some cables. My wife’s 07 was the same. Ended up putting some vinyl tubing around the bracket and problem solved. Get out there and have some fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts