Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while rining today, toe section of shifter came loss but when i stopped to tighten assemby, it was still tight? also front part of shift rod came loose. i was able to baby her home. any suggestions? thanks:(

·
Registered
267 Posts
Locktite and torque to specs. Buddy of mine lost his toe shifter peg the first day out. Apparently, it is not that uncommon.

Buz

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did not lose the toe shifter it just came loose but im unable to tighten? also front part of shift rod came disconnected? any more suggestions /input unclebuz

·
Registered
267 Posts
Did the shifter peg get loose or was it the entire shifter arm. If it was the shifter arm, there is an allen screw in the arm where it attaches to the splined shaft.

Buz

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would replace the shift linkage with heim joints. They last forever complared to the pressed Harley part.
When ya loose your toe shifter while out on the road, pull it off and swing the heel shifter around in its place. They are both the same part number. The teeth inside the shifter lever is kinda soft and flattens out with use. Eventually, it will slip on the spline shaft which is a harder material.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You're 100% correct. A good shift linkage will cost about $130.00 and it's worth every penny. It's an easy install too.
Actually, you can get just the Heim joint and spin it onto the Harley shifter rod. Heim joints go for about $25 chromed, each. I always carry a good pressed connector linkage in the event I come across someone on the road who broke theirs.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Actually, you can get just the Heim joint and spin it onto the Harley shifter rod. Heim joints go for about $25 chromed, each. I always carry a good pressed connector linkage in the event I come across someone on the road who broke theirs.
I guess you could do that. I've never thought about it. It just depends on if you want to keep the ugly stock shift rod or put something nicer on your bike. The "upgraded" shift rods are also thicker and more durable. I've broken a shift rod in the past and I have no worries with my new one.

Here's the one I have. It looks great on my gloss black with black pipes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts