Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 RG, suspension is stock, wheels are still stock as well. Not sure how to describe what happens other than wishy washy feeling through turns. Not like a hazardous wobble or anything like that but certainly not as stable as Id like it to be. Very much enjoy the mountain riding so I want to tighten it up. Am looking in to shocks but was curious if others had experienced this with this year and what remedies there may be. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,060 Posts
Suspension, also swing arm bushings and maybe a stabilizer like Tru trac, or the one from Progressive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suspension, also swing arm bushings and maybe a stabilizer like Tru trac, or the one from Progressive.
Would the fork upgrades do anything here, like Monotubes etc?

After some extensive reading it looks like this is the norm until the frame change.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Hello,

I run a 2008 FLTRI. I would do the following in this order,

Tire pressure. Maintain your tire cold pressures as indicated on the tire sidewall, check them often. Air is cheap.

Maintenance, check your rear wheel bearings for any noise. Harley went to the 25mm axle that year and decided that the new rear wheel bearing at half the width would carry the same load as the 2007 earlier models with a 1 inch axle.

You should replace those rear wheel bearings with every tire change, cheap insurance against future catastrophe

1. Replace rear swing arm bushing with a "Glide Pro". Get the package deal with the front motor mount. The Glide Pro motor mount is way better than stock and is not susceptible to degradation from used oil spilled during filter changes. The Glide Pro bushing is way better than stock as well.
2. Replace your rear suspension with higher line Progressive or if you want the ulimate, JRI or Ohlins, pricey but worth it.
3. Replace your front end with progressive mono tubes.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
You just need a stabilizer, I use the Progressive Suspension "Touring Link Stabilizer" on my 2008 and it works great.
I still have the stock swingarm bushings and the stock motor mount. The new motor mounts which is on your 2008 bike is now made out of oil resistant materials so you don't need to worry about oil deteriorating the motor mount anymore.
Suspension upgrades are recommended to improve ride and handling but it is not necessary, I upgrade the front with Progressive monotubes and the rear with Progressive 440 shocks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd just ry running a little more air in the back shocks first and see if that helps.. 3-5 pounds over Harley recommendations.. If you have anything in your packs, that makes a difference in weight

1 - 6 of 6 Posts