Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 RG I purchased from a private party. I think the bike has been lowered by the previous owner. I have to lean the bike to the right to get the kick stand down and I drag it on left turns. The front shocks "bottom out" with a solid bang on small bumps etc while riding. I took the bike to Biggs HD in San Marcos, CA and they said there is no way to determine if the bike has been lowered. :confused: Is there anyone who has an 08 with stock suspension that can give some measuring points to check my RG? Thank you for any help. Gary C

·
Registered
614 Posts
I can measure later today but the rear shocks should measure 13" eye to eye for a standard Rg and 12" eye to eye for a custom (factory lowered) anything less is defiantly lowered. Also look at the shock mount to the swing arm it should bolting the swing arm if their is a plate with 2 or 3 mounting holes on the swing arm it has lowering kit and has also been lowered. For the fork look at the cow bells ( upper fork sliders) a stock height their is about 2-3 inches of lower fork showing before it tapers down, when lowered the cow bell is almost down to where the fork narrows. Stock ground Clarence is about 5 inches

Post a picture it's easy to tell

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you ralf75, I do not have the owner or service manuals yet. Thank you for the link. I will check the seat height tonight. - Gary C

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can measure later today but the rear shocks should measure 13" eye to eye for a standard Rg and 12" eye to eye for a custom (factory lowered) anything less is defiantly lowered. Also look at the shock mount to the swing arm it should bolting the swing arm if their is a plate with 2 or 3 mounting holes on the swing arm it has lowering kit and has also been lowered. For the fork look at the cow bells ( upper fork sliders) a stock height their is about 2-3 inches of lower fork showing before it tapers down, when lowered the cow bell is almost down to where the fork narrows. Stock ground Clarence is about 5 inches

Post a picture it's easy to tell
Thank you Xaean, That is exactly the info I needed. I do not understand why the dealer could not have given me that information. I will check the measurements tonight. I will try to post a picture other than my avatar. - Gary C

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
its definitely been lowered. mine is 13-1/2 from the bottom of the cowbells to the center of the front axle.

check your rear shocks as well, i bet you either have lowering blocks or shorter than 12'' shocks as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you skratch. The rear shock was a little less that 13". I am not sure what lowering blocks look like, but i will lift the bike up to get a better look tomorrow. Ride safe. Gary C

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Thank you skratch. The rear shock was a little less that 13". I am not sure what lowering blocks look like, but i will lift the bike up to get a better look tomorrow. Ride safe. Gary C
lowering blocks are easy to tell if you have them on. look at the lower shock mounting bolt. if it goes to a plate that bolts to your swingarm, you have lowering blocks. if it just goes to the swingarm directly, then you don't.

·
Super Moderator
1,817 Posts
If the dealer service dept says they can't tell and you find out from folks on this forum what is correct, I would not take the bike back to that dealer.

Any Harley dealer should be able to tell if a bike has been physically altered from stock, if they can't their not worth doing business with.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
If the dealer service dept says they can't tell and you find out from folks on this forum what is correct, I would not take the bike back to that dealer.

Any Harley dealer should be able to tell if a bike has been physically altered from stock, if they can't their not worth doing business with.
+1.. they sure as hell can tell if its been altered when it comes time for them to warranty something though:rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lowering blocks are easy to tell if you have them on. look at the lower shock mounting bolt. if it goes to a plate that bolts to your swingarm, you have lowering blocks. if it just goes to the swingarm directly, then you don't.
Thank you again skratch. I was looking in the wrong place :eek: There are lowering blocks on the lower ends of the rear shocks just like you mentioned. Now I can do some searching on the fourm for parts necessary to change back to stock height. The rear looks easy but the front might be more work. Again thank you. - Gary C

1 - 12 of 12 Posts