Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I have this loud metallic squeak coming from the rear tire area. People riding behind me can hear it and I can hear it also. It sounds the same on both sides but if I had to pick a side I would say the right side may be a tad louder. Bike is an 09 RG with 70k miles.

I had the local dealer take it for a spin and he heard it and looked under the bike afterwards aand said the belt was just starting to cup a little bit but could not be certain that was reason.

I rode the bike in to work today and the 1st 10-15 miles was quiet with no squeaking at all? Then the last 5 miles I heard it coming on. I am leaning towards either a wheel bearing or a rear brake. Rear pad still has some good life in it but maybe after she warms up it is rubbing? I am not sure the rear wheel bearing has ever been replaced?

Any ideas on what it may be or some tests I could do to track it down a little? PS: I already changed the rubber grommet fillers that hold the exhaust pipes to the saddle bag frame.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Check your muffler hangers. They did a real squeak job on my 2009. Sprayed some silicon lube on them (keep it off the mufflers) and all is good.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Pull the wheel. It could be the pulley bearing or the two wheel bearings. Easy to change with a wheel bearing puller. When you get it off, put your finger in them and turn them. You souls feel a roughness to the bearing balls or rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pull the wheel. It could be the pulley bearing or the two wheel bearings. Easy to change with a wheel bearing puller. When you get it off, put your finger in them and turn them. You souls feel a roughness to the bearing balls or rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hmmm if it was either of those would it not be there the 1st 10-15 miles?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your muffler hangers. They did a real squeak job on my 2009. Sprayed some silicon lube on them (keep it off the mufflers) and all is good.
I replaced both of the rubber inserts already

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I would lean towards the wheel bearings. Did you try backing the bike up with the engine off, if the bearings are bad most of the time you will hear a clicking/grinding noise when backing the bike up. Wheel bearing and rear pulley bearing are a common problem. Don't worry your belt is probably fine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I think I am going to try and change out the wheel bearings and maybe the rear belt pulley as well before trading her in. should be able to do myself. If the squeaking goes away I will deal with new piston rings over the winter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with all....sounds like those Chinese wheel bearings. Many have gone bad with very few miles. Get the aftermarket, high quality bearings. Also, if you ever use any type of power washer, don't spray near the axle/bearings.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with all....sounds like those Chinese wheel bearings. Many have gone bad with very few miles. Get the aftermarket, high quality bearings. Also, if you ever use any type of power washer, don't spray near the axle/bearings.
Can you recommend me some, where can I buy them? Are they ABS Compatible?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Check out the websites for Dennis Kirk, JP Cycles, and All Balls Bearings for HD. Maybe Smarty or Ironmark can chime in with a recommendation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts