Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4th gear pull.

120R crate motor, with the following mods.

Heads by Don/HDSP Comp at around 10.2:1
HPI 55/58 TB w/5.3 injectors
S&S roller rockers
Smith Bros adj rods
TMan 625 gear drives
Jackpot XXX 2/1/2 headers
Nightsticks with cores replaced with Supertrapp perforated and wrapped baffles w/14 discs and closed end cap

Tuned mostly on the street with PV w/wide bands & Auto Tune. Paid for an hour of dyno time to hit the cells I didn't have the balls to hit on the street, and made one last correction after that. Gained 5/5 over my street tune. I did not touch the timing. I'm sure my DIY tune left power on the table, but it runs great, and I'm happy with it.

A big thanks to all who helped, with either services, and/or advice! :beer:

Jeff

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
118 Posts
4th gear pull.

120R crate motor, with the following mods.

Heads by Don/HDSP Comp at around 10.2:1
HPI 55/58 TB w/5.3 injectors
S&S roller rockers
Smith Bros adj rods
TMan 625 gear drives
Jackpot XXX 2/1/2 headers
Nightsticks with cores replaced with Supertrapp perforated and wrapped baffles w/14 discs and closed end cap

Tuned mostly on the street with PV w/wide bands & Auto Tune. Paid for an hour of dyno time to hit the cells I didn't have the balls to hit on the street, and made one last correction after that. Gained 5/5 over my street tune. I did not touch the timing. I'm sure my DIY tune left power on the table, but it runs great, and I'm happy with it.

A big thanks to all who helped, with either services, and/or advice! :beer:

Jeff

Why did you choose to go with the PV tuner?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Nice curves!! I love the T-Man 625s...

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Why did you choose to go with the PV tuner?"

It's fairly simple for a home hobbyist, and it works! For me, anyway. Great support from Fuel Moto, if you get stuck.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Originally Posted by HeatWave View Post
Nice curves!! I love the T-Man 625s...
+1 on the T-Man 625's"

Yep, very bagger friendly cams.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If the timing is untouched, then there is more in that.
Looks very similar curve in comparison to a Wood TW-400, when used in similar combos.
Should be fun.
Scott

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looking at how smooth the lines are and shape of curve.. You are very close to peak.. I would advise that you leave your tune just as it is.. As it is not showing any signs in that pull of needing more timing added. Looks like you spent the time data logging and getting it dialed in.

A pull in 6th gear would add 5-7 on tq and 2-4 on hp from what I have seen.

Looks good :smile:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the timing is untouched, then there is more in that.
Looks very similar curve in comparison to a Wood TW-400, when used in similar combos.
Should be fun.
Scott
I'm sure you're right on Scott. With the 5/5 I gained using the dyno to polish up the fueling, I'm sure a timing tweak would sharpen the tune even more. My exhaust choice is likely a handicap as well. I wanted it quiet. If I were to add some discs, and an open end cap, I suspect my top end would improve. I may do that just for the track(along with a re tuned map for it).I made it to the last test & tune night before our track closed for the season, and made my first runs down a strip. Best run was 13.2/104mph. Had a bitch of a time keeping the stock Dunlops hooked up. Very first run was a 1st & 2nd gear rolling burnout! Got a little better/faster each run. Gotta do some more of that next season! Would like to get to the mid 12's.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at how smooth the lines are and shape of curve.. You are very close to peak.. I would advise that you leave your tune just as it is.. As it is not showing any signs in that pull of needing more timing added. Looks like you spent the time data logging and getting it dialed in.

A pull in 6th gear would add 5-7 on tq and 2-4 on hp from what I have seen.

Looks good :smile:
Thanks shark!

I did spend a fair amount of time on the logs/corrections. Really interesting process. The dyno time was invaluable to hit the areas it's just not practical to hit on the street. Bike runs great, and get's 40mpg+ if I don't get carried away with the throttle. Couldn't have asked for a better combo for my needs.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I'm sure you're right on Scott. With the 5/5 I gained using the dyno to polish up the fueling, I'm sure a timing tweak would sharpen the tune even more. My exhaust choice is likely a handicap as well. I wanted it quiet. If I were to add some discs, and an open end cap, I suspect my top end would improve. I may do that just for the track(along with a re tuned map for it).I made it to the last test & tune night before our track closed for the season, and made my first runs down a strip. Best run was 13.2/104mph. Had a bitch of a time keeping the stock Dunlops hooked up. Very first run was a 1st & 2nd gear rolling burnout! Got a little better/faster each run. Gotta do some more of that next season! Would like to get to the mid 12's.

Jeff
Your thoughts are right, Jeff.
Been tuning bikes for almost 20 years now, and with a bike manufacturing that type of juice, it would, without a doubt, respond to timing adjustments, and in a lot a cases, quite a surpising amount.
Still looks fun.
Scott

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your thoughts are right, Jeff.
Been tuning bikes for almost 20 years now, and with a bike manufacturing that type of juice, it would, without a doubt, respond to timing adjustments, and in a lot a cases, quite a surpising amount.
Still looks fun.
Scott
I appreciate your comments Scott. May have to trailer the bike to the dyno a few times this winter and experiment with the timing. Only one way to learn! While the bike is definitely fun, I ain't opposed to funner! :grin:

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts