Road Glide banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 5000 mile 2010 FLTRX in April 2018. One problem with low mileage garage queens is - that bearings have sat unlubricated way longer than design.
The previous owner noted a "clunky" transmission and he put Red Line in it and noticed an improvement. I put another 5000 miles on it and had the 10k service done. They put HD Syn 3 in at that service.
At 11,100 miles, my transmission started making noise I thought was an inner primary bearing. Disassembly showed a scored Main Shaft eerily suggestive of lubrication failure.
So - it's all new bearings. The rest looks OK, I'm just worried about flecks of hardened steel migrating through tight clearances so I'm doing all the bearings.

The Main Shaft has the same part numbers clear through 2017. We'll hope it's a problem that is associated with prolonged storage without routine miles.

No complaints, just wanted you to know a noisy transmission might just need work, not a higher viscosity lubricant. I know the risks of buying garage queens and having to get the smooth parts working again. I often ride highway speeds in 95 degree heat in Florida and it didn't strand me. The noise just got excessive.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sucks that you're having to go through your trans but it's good that you identified the issue easily.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts