Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing the 2011 CVO Handlebars on my 09. These bars are much better than the stock ones. PITA to get on though but I did it. They actually do not work with the 09 but I made them fit. I thought that they were interchangeable but I was wrong but I am glad that I got them on. Taller and they pull back a lot more than the standard 2009 bars. I love these bars! All of the wiring and cables were long enough. If anyone wants to do this I can walk them through. As always I could have done a better job if I had it to do over again.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
What made them hard to install?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What made them hard to install?
The wiring was the hard part. The bars will fit with no problem. The original handlebars have a pressed indentation on the bottom of the bars at each end. This indentation at each side of the bar allows some space to get the wiring cable to fit into the two halves of each control piece with out damaging the wiring when you try to install the clutch and front brake lever pieces. The wiring will get pinched when you try to tighten the control pieces with out this space. The CVO bars are made for all of the wiring to be installed inside of the bars and they do not have this indentation stamped into the underside of the bars. So I had to create some room to prevent damage to the wiring where they exit each control piece. I took a sharpie pen and marked the same shape of the indentation on the stock bars on to the CVO bars. I took my dremel tool with a metal cut off blade and cut a rectangle slot into the CVO bars. The Dremel tool worked like a champ! There is an elongated hole already in each end of the CVO bars. So I started my cut there. It's hard to verbally explain this so I hope that I am getting the message across. I also had to drill two holes in each bar for the clips that hold the wring to the bars since I could not run all of the wiring inside of the bars. I could run the fly-by-wire wiring into the right side bar but there is an additional wiring harness that cannot be run inside of the handlebars. Also on the left bar the wring cannot be installed inside of the bars. The wiring harness on the left side will not fit inside of the CVO bars. The connector at the end of the harness is to big to fit inside of the bars. Same on the right. So......the wiring harness on the 2011 CVO Road Glide has to have a different wiring harness for the left and right side controls. They would have to have a means of disconnecting the harness and be able to reconnect it like the fly-by-wire throttle wiring. Another plus is my mirrors are higher up now so I get a much better view now. Any way it was much more work than I anticipated but was well worth the result. I highly recommend these handle bars.

·
Registered
370 Posts
sh4325,

CVO bikes do not have a different harness for the switch controls.
when they wire the handlebars at the factory, they run the wires through the bars before they put the connector on the end.
to run your wires internally, you would either have to take the connector for each switch assembly apart, or cut and splice the harness back together.
it's a pain in the ass to do, but the results are worth it!:cool:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I ordered a set of these for my 2011 FLTRU and they just came in. I will be getting them installed next week and I can't wait to lose the stock drag bars (well, that's what they feel like anyway).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered a set of these for my 2011 FLTRU and they just came in. I will be getting them installed next week and I can't wait to lose the stock drag bars (well, that's what they feel like anyway).
You are exactly right. The stockers are like drag bars. With the CVO bars on my bike feels like a completely different ride! One of the best changes that I have made.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sh4325,

CVO bikes do not have a different harness for the switch controls.
when they wire the handlebars at the factory, they run the wires through the bars before they put the connector on the end.
to run your wires internally, you would either have to take the connector for each switch assembly apart, or cut and splice the harness back together.
it's a pain in the ass to do, but the results are worth it!:cool:
Maybe I will change it out sometime. I thought about cutting all of the wires but I didn't want to jack with it at the time. I have been working on my bike so much is the last few weeks I was getting tired of working on the damn thing and wanted to ride. Every time I take the fairing off it's a PITA to get the outer fairing back on!

·
Registered
370 Posts
it would make a nice winter project! LOL!
everybody complains about re-installing the outer fairing, I've had my outer fairing off more times than I can remember and it has never been a pain to put back on, I just put it in place and push and it just pops right on..... piece of cake!

as far as running the switch wiring internally, when I put the mini apes on my CVO Springer, I cut and soldered the harness when I ran the wires inside the handlebars... I didn't run the wires internally on the FLTRX when I installed the new bars because I didn't feel I needed to run them internally... It "may" be a future project, I really haven't given it much thought... the wires really don't bother be running outside the bars.. but it would be much easier to do on the Road Glide as compared to the Softail.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This post needs some PHOTOS!

·
Registered
347 Posts
The new handlebars are installed and man, what a difference! I can actually settle into my backrest now. Also put on the black lighted H-D mirrors, black levers and black Kuryakn Iso grips. It looks pretty good, I think. I'm heading out of town so I will post a pic next week when I get back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
CVO bars

how big of diff where the CVO bars do you seat back more
and are your hands higher or are you still foward
seating on one at dealer CVO but hard to tell I have stock seat if it would be better 2011 RGU 5' 9"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts