Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, looking for opinions,

looking at 2 bikes, both close in price (within 3k) and cvo has lower km (33 vs 59k kilometres).
CVO has 110 Screamin Eagle, 2017 has 107 M8.
If I want to save a bunch there is also a 2014 Electra Glide Ultra Limited with 109k km.

Which to buy?

I welcome your thoughts, throw it out here...

stay safe, cheers,
Dale

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the M8 as good as some articles I’ve been reading suggest?
also saw couple of articles saying the m8 will self-destruct without some internal mods.

I’m not rough on my bikes, maintain them well, and like cruising (not racing)

·
Registered
2019 fltru
806 Posts
i had an 2011 cvo -great bike-not all 110 motors were good-the 110 did not run any better than 107-since i had a 2011 cvo and now a 2019 i would take the newer bike anyday-just my .02

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I think the M8 is a solid player and personally I love it way more than any Twin Cam I've ever had.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I’d seriously consider the 2017 M8 over the 2011 CVO. The 110 will probably run hotter and you can make up the extra power with a Stage II. The extra upgrades on the M8 would be a big tipping point for me. Servicing and putting mods on the Rushmore’s so much easier.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
What would be suggested mods for a stock 2017 M8?
The M8 has the water jacket around the heads?
Put a Stage 1 on the M8 with a tuner and call it good, if you want more power then stab a cam in it. And yes, the M8 Ultra has wet heads.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I did seat, shocks, handlebars immediately. Plenty others came within the initial few thousand miles. It all depends on what’s been done to it and what you’re trying to accomplish. You should ride whatever you buy before making any rushed decisions.

Reactions: Korazu

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did seat, shocks, handlebars immediately. Plenty others came within the initial few thousand miles. It all depends on what’s been done to it and what you’re trying to accomplish. You should ride whatever you buy before making any rushed decisions.
I completely agree with this. I just upgraded to an M8 from a '16 CVO 110 that had a stage 2 on it and the M8 seems to be quicker and smoother. I also have the handlebars and shocks on order and trying to decide on a seat now, Corbin or Mustang. Shocks being number one as the OEM's suck @ss. Good luck in whichever you pick!

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I owned an '11 CVORGU and traded it on a '15 CVORGU. I also currently have a '12 CVORGU (yes, I can be a glutton for punishment). All 3 bikes had lifter issues. The '12 I bought used last year and the lifters went out on the previous owner and He wasn't smart enough to pay attention to his engine. He had it repaired with a stage 3 done at the same time. The other two we caught in time and just had to change lifters.

Buy the M8. Lol

Sent from Tapatalk. probably while pooping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I vote M8. I was never impressed with the 110"s.
After all, it's only 3 cubic in difference, but the 107 is the new platform and I'm really impressed with mine. (114")
Power delivery on the M8 is strong and smooth.
(I have an 02 dyna with a built 107tc if I feel the need to vibrate)

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
I've never owned an M8, but I have ridden the 107 & 114 and I was impressed with the stock output. My only reservation would be the difference in mileage, but would probably still vote for the M8.

Pictures would help though

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I’d go with the newer bike with the M8. I think it’s a better motor than the 110 plus you get all the Rushmore upgrades. The only exception might be if you’re just in love with the CVO paint. Love can make you do funny things 😊

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a‘11 RG CVO and was thinking on swapping for the m8 based on all I heard. Rode my friends 2020 RGS. For some reason felt very heavy in the steering, and down on power, it was a 114. I didn’t like how the m8 sounded in comparison either. He commented how mine felt quick and nimble in comparison with his even though mine was dressed out with lowers and tour pack. Maybe it was just our 2 bikes, however sealed the deal on keeping my 11 CVO.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
You have picked a very wide choice. The bikes are so much not alike the pick would IMO be the M8. The CVO has less value than you think. The 110 was not that good.
The M8 has better front end, much better engine Liquid cooled heads. Single Cam. Want to make that 107 run just put a Cam in it that fits your ride style. It would eat that 110.

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Special 1995 Electraglide
72 Posts
The Twin Cams were good in their day but design has moved on. Ive had two twin cams and two M8s and a Evo, and the M8s are the best of the bunch. Currently a 114 M8 and truth be told, I could do stage upgrades, but only to say that I did, they are really not needed, plenty of power from the factory.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts