Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HD says to change your fuel filter at the 25K maintenance. Anyone run longer with their filter? I've got 17,000 miles and going for a 7,000 mile trip and wondering if I should change it before I leave. Looking for advice and peoples experience with their fuel filters.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
HD says to change your fuel filter at the 25K maintenance. Anyone run longer with their filter? I've got 17,000 miles and going for a 7,000 mile trip and wondering if I should change it before I leave. Looking for advice and peoples experience with their fuel filters.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Did mine at 27 K. It didn't look too bad . The whole job only takes about an hour , probably quicker if you did it before.

·
Administrator
12,309 Posts
never changed mine , my riding budd traded a bike with 120k plus on it and never changed it ..

Think about it 25000 miles is only 625 gallons of gas if you get 40 mpg , not much of a filter if that's all it gets ..

My budd at 40 mpg is still only 3000 gallons at 40 mpg , that's not a lot of gas IMO

JtB

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
You should be OK if you wait to change the fuel filter. The fuel filter is easy to change and it only takes about a 1/2 hour.
I use the Snap-on lock ring tool but some just use a screwdriver and a hammer to remove/install the lock ring.
You don't have to pull the whole fuel pump assembly out you can pull the assembly out just far enough to expose the fuel filter housing, then pull the pin holding the housing together then pull out the old filter and O-ring and install the new O-ring and filter. I replaced my Fuel Filter 4 times since the bike was new and every time the fuel filter was dirty.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
The service intervals now are 100K (thats what it says in the 2012 touring service manual), and nothing has really changed since 09, so thats the current recommendation.

Personally I'd do it at about 50K

·
Registered
97 Posts
I changed mine at 27k and it was greyed out with crap. The bike was running fine before hand though.

Just for thought, back when I was nailing out the big miles filling up at shady places in the middle of gods country, my filters use to get clogged at 20- 30k. My point to that statement is, as long was your fuel source is solid, I would do as everyone above state and ride on.

Enjoy your trip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts