Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in short frt brakes felt spongy last week. pads were worn so replaced without opening the system. fluid level looks good and still feel spongy. brought to a (non dealer shop ex hd tech with own shop over 30 years) bled system 3 times each time it would pump up until a short ride the go spongy again. hes thinkin electrical, im bumming as shark week starts in 3 days I have the week off and i may be without a bike! any ideas?

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
If you "pump" the brake lever does it get better?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as long as i pump the lever once or twice the brakes do work

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
You may want to consider going to the Boutique and having them flush it on the digital tech. They can cycle the ABS to completely eliminate any air. I had this done on my 12 and they charged me 30 minutes.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
You may want to consider going to the Boutique and having them flush it on the digital tech. They can cycle the ABS to completely eliminate any air. I had this done on my 12 and they charged me 30 minutes.
+1.I mentioned in another thread similar to this, there are some vehicles (Chevy Silverados among other's) that need to have the ABS system activated by computer in order to properly bleed the brakes. I would bring to the dealer so they can do it.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Take it to the dealer and let them bleed it with the digital tech since it is an ABS bike. This will cost you but brakes are probably a relatively important part of the bike to having working properly.

To me, brakes and tires are the two most important pieces of equipment on the bike.

Drew

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx for the input

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
turned out to be

warped frt rotors. had the digital tech done and still did it. they said everytime the rotor came around it pushed the caliper piston back so id have to pump the lever for it to reach the rotor. thought I would have felt a pulsation be never really did. hope this saves one of you money if you ever come across this problem.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Must be warped pretty bad for it to feel like that. Maybe a wheel bearing is starting to go bad and the wheel is moving from left to right? I don't see rotors being warped without a pulsation in the lever.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I had the same feel when a front bearing was going bad. Just enough wobble to push the pads away so you had to " pump" first to get any brake. Changed out front bearings and problem went away. So did my death wobble on decel.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Few of riding friends replaced rotors due to warped. Not last as the old ones did. Go after market.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts