Road Glide banner

What kind of rally for 2011

• Have 1 big national rally

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Have several small rally's - less traveling

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Have both 1 big rally, and also several smaller ones.

Votes: 37 68.5%
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idea has been thrown around about having a big rally/meeting/party so all the members from the forums can meet. From the looks of the member map (located HERE) we are strung out across north america and maybe a little heavy towards the east coast.

So I figure we should put it up to a vote, and see what most people think about it. We can try to have 1 big rally, or maybe split it up for the first time, and have 3 or 4 smaller rally's in hope that more people can make it. I know most people only have so much vacation time each year, and have to plan way ahead to put in for time off during the summer. Hopefully a meeting with other road glide riders would be something that interests you, but if not then you don't have to vote on the poll.

Im throwing everything into 1 poll right now, to get a feel of what everyone thinks. Down the road, we can start making plans if we need to break it up and where to go from there.

If you have any suggestions, please give them. Keep in mind, this is just to get a general idea, not to make plans in stone right now. I had in mind to have a national rally at the H-D museum in Milwakee, or maybe even Sturgis, but thats something we will vote on later.

·
Administrator
1,897 Posts
Rally

The Road King Riders have a yearly meet. They move it around so everyone is close at one time or another. WV in 2009 Utah 2010 Vermont 2011.

They set up a block of rooms and someone then sets up the rides.

I plan on going this year. I heard they are a total blast.

Hutmo

·
Administrator
1,897 Posts
rally and Road Glide Flag

I voted for one with smaller ones but I think one big one should be planned. If groups want to get together
they can but I would put the effort into one big one.

The Road King Riders have a flag that has been traveling the country for the past 4 years. The idea is for members
to meet up with other members to hand off the flag and to take it to a new place. Eventually you hand it off
again and meet another person.

The flag travels with a log book so you can write about your experience with the flag. It also has a map so you can
document where the flag traveled. It is made of nylon and is lightweight so it is not too hard to carry even if
you have a full load.

I will volunteer to get a flag made if this sounds like something we are interested in. My signature is right
above the "G" along with a drawing of one of my dogs!

It's been a real group builder along with the ride in for the Road King Riders.

HUTMO
[email protected]

Yeah they still accept me even though I have a superior Shark Nose bike! :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like the idea of one big national rally along with several smaller regional rallies. Who knows, you might can plan a trip that includes one of the smaller rallies as well as the big one. (not at the same time, of course) It would give you more opportunities to at least make one and meet some new friends.

Buz

·
Registered
143 Posts
The idea has been thrown around about having a big rally/meeting/party so all the members from the forums can meet. From the looks of the member map (located HERE) we are strung out across north america and maybe a little heavy towards the east coast.

So I figure we should put it up to a vote, and see what most people think about it. We can try to have 1 big rally, or maybe split it up for the first time, and have 3 or 4 smaller rally's in hope that more people can make it. I know most people only have so much vacation time each year, and have to plan way ahead to put in for time off during the summer. Hopefully a meeting with other road glide riders would be something that interests you, but if not then you don't have to vote on the poll.

Im throwing everything into 1 poll right now, to get a feel of what everyone thinks. Down the road, we can start making plans if we need to break it up and where to go from there.

If you have any suggestions, please give them. Keep in mind, this is just to get a general idea, not to make plans in stone right now. I had in mind to have a national rally at the H-D museum in Milwakee, or maybe even Sturgis, but thats something we will vote on later.
How about annual regional Rallies and then every 3 years or so plan a big blow out rally scheduled around the bigger national rallies (Sturgis, Daytona, etc.) The other thing is even though they are regional (NE, SE, Central, NW, SW) all members are welcome to any of them that way those who have more time to travel can participate in multiple events or tie their vacations in with the rallies.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A national rally tied to Sturgis or Daytona is a good idea, but so are are smaller rallies too. The smaller ones could be tied to smaller rallies that are more local.

·
Administrator
10,749 Posts
I like the idea of regional rallies and everyone welcome , and maybe plan a biggie as well every couple years ..

Me , personally , dont care for the idea of planning it around Sturgis , Daytona , Laconia , or whatever ..

I be luck of the draw anyways as I have to put in next years vacation time , late this year ..

Chris , ya aint got the flag done yet ??

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
my votes in as YEA!

Chainsaw
I mentioned before in a previous post somewhere about using the HD Museum as a rally point. I was there in June and met up with dklanecky there for lunch (great guy) and found they have an events room that they rent out to museum members. I think some members here may be museum members and maybe even if we invite Willy G :rolleyes: we can get a group rate discount or let us have it F-R-E-E once they see what we're planning. After all I'm sure the RoadGlide's popularity has increased because of the membership here and HD would be more than happy to show us their appreciation...don't you think?

I'd definitely do the museum again if there was a rally there!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree with hotrodad! The HD museum would be a nice starting point. I've wanted a reason to go there and this would probably do it. I live only 300 miles from Sturgis but haven't been there in a long time. I do ride the Black hills when I can and it is awesome riding. But during the 3 weeks of Sturgis it is to heavily populated for me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I really like the Milwaukee idea Chainsaw. Maybe plan it in the fall when the trees are changing. The family vacations would be over by then also so planning may be a little easier for some.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Pretty cool idea Neano62. This could be a lot of fun...:D

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Ok, cool idea Chain, Neano62, and whoever else might have kicked it around. I really need to pay closer attention when I post these responses... lol. :eek:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Rowdy, I didnt have anything to do w/this one. I did suggest a get together a couple of months or so ago, at Harleys 110 Anniversary but dude,... sometimes, not all the time, but alot of times its hard to get 4 riders on the same page. Little alone 1000. But I'll do anything I can for the benefit of the forum and its riders, members whatever. Best thing to do here is plan it, confirm it, and b there or b square. lol I've met a handfull of good people on here and your one of them. So Chain, do it to it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
:rolleyes: trying to do a national gtg during Sturgis or Bike Week would be insane. Motel rooms would be in very short supply in those areas. How 'bout a national in Milwaukee and the smaller ones at KC, MO and York, PA Factory tours at all locations plus the museum at Milwaukee.

·
Registered
143 Posts
:rolleyes: trying to do a national gtg during Sturgis or Bike Week would be insane. Motel rooms would be in very short supply in those areas. How 'bout a national in Milwaukee and the smaller ones at KC, MO and York, PA Factory tours at all locations plus the museum at Milwaukee.
Not necessarily right at the rally, but on the way to. I know alot of people schedule their vacation time around the rallies, so I thought for example if it were sturgis that the rally could fall a couple days before, in route about 100-150 mile away. That way you could make this rally part of that trip. I do also like the idea of Milwaukee too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Anybody coming south for Biketoberfest this year in Daytona.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not necessarily right at the rally, but on the way to. I know alot of people schedule their vacation time around the rallies, so I thought for example if it were sturgis that the rally could fall a couple days before, in route about 100-150 mile away. That way you could make this rally part of that trip. I do also like the idea of Milwaukee too.
Even at that distance motel rooms are hard to find. Heck, the entire I-25 corridor from Denver north is always booked solid. Even as far away as Billings. Trust me .............. I've learned from sad experience.

P

·
0 Posts
Where to Rally?

Guys:

The Wash. DC area is a great place for riding. A couple hours to the OCEAN east, west 1.5 Hours to the Allegheny MTNS. NW 1.5 hr. to YORK HD Plant, Hershey PA, PA Duch Country. There's allot of GOOD bike roads in that area.

The HDF meets at Gettysburg every year during Bike Week. There's also Carlisle Bike Week, held at the Carlisle Fairgrounds, where all the car swap meets etc are held.

There's allot to do in the S.Central Pa, MD,WV,DC area, don't for get Baltimore for seafood, eastern shore is great for riding! Delaware just north for beach goers. Just a thought! :D

1 - 20 of 109 Posts