Road Glide banner

Run a 2012 103" in 6th gear at 35-42 MPH?

• Yes, it's a good idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, it's not a very good idea.

Votes: 94 100.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new member, SlowGuy, started a thread and in his original post, he said, "...I have to ride a heavily patrolled road with a speed limit of 35 mph daily if by accident I put the bike in 6th gear I had to kick it back out... after removal of the cat she chugs along just fine."

A couple of us tried to warn him that his 2012 103" wasn't intended to operate in 6th gear at that low of a speed (RPM). I also confess that I'm frustrated and got to him with some of my ol'phart (snide) humor but don't want him to do something I think may well ruin a good thing either (a 2012 103").

Therefore, I'm starting a poll here and pointing him to this thread in the hopes that he may benefit from any responses. This is his thread:
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=30159

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
His bike, let him do what he wants.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His bike, let him do what he wants.
Actually, I agree JJSW. Some folks are like horses... lead them to water, etc. After I thought about it a while though, I got worried that another new guy might read what he said and go for it too.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Terrible idea. Hard on the trans, hard on the engine lugging it like that, and even harder on the clutch. Not recommended whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I lug around sometimes, but know it is terrible for the bike

spent $2k toward StrayMutts holdings, on 7yr insurance, overall I take it easy on the bike, have lugged and power shifted, wish I hadn't, continually learning, in the end it's all case by case. and I don't really want to break anything

I chimed in and recommended a $325 set of pipes that have a built in sound level control. since he seemed to be stating the fact that just changing one thing leads to 2 grand in parts, which it can, then commenting on how much happier he was with a gutted cat.

as far as need, these are bikes, I make it a point to need one, but reality might have a different answer, always good to be prudent first and safe not sorry.

rant off

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
First thing I was told when talking about the 6th gear is don't use it below 70. It's not needed under that speed.

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
I voted, you can also read my reply in the thread to know how I feel, but hey, to each their own. :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Some people learn the hard way. I think the lowest I have ever been in 6th is maybe 60. But never stayed there long. I can't stand the feel of lugging. I like to wind her up to at least 3k before shifting.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Man I never use 6th unless I'm running 70 or better it lugs the crap out of it otherwise I may not ride as hard as some but I don't baby it either but like you said it's his bike and he can do what he wants but the manual will show him the shift points

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I think starting a thread to bash someone on the forum is a BAD idea.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yep! He's free to do what he wants to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is his bike and also his Pocket Book, Guess he will become a reg. at the Stealer Shop. Hope he does get out and opener up to blow out that motor. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I wouldnt, however its his scooter. I know mine is a HELL of a lot more fun to run high Rs. right on the pipe(in the power band)is where I LOVE to ride IT!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
First off, I actually agree that it's his scoot so "ride on". Second, I'm not trying to be a forum "cop", but...

I strongly believe that if someone has a bad experience with a disreputable vendor or shop, sharing the info is a good thing.

Next, by the same token, if a noob (or someone posing as a noob) is spreading bum scoop, then start by trying to educate them but if they absolutely refuse to accept input, then why are they here in the first place?

Even more important, if their bum scoop can mislead another noob into damaging his Harley, then they need to retract or edit their bum scoop to eliminate bad advise. If they don't, then I think clearly pointing to some good scoop instead is a good idea.

Who better to offer it than the more experienced owners here on this forum. That's why I made the decision I did.

ETA: I'm sure we all also know of some other previously great forums that were degraded because "bum scoop" was becoming relatively common.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts