Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought my bike last year I had the stage 1 stuff done before ever riding the bike. After the initial 500-mile break-in I had the cams added. Had I been a little smarter at the time I would not have taken the dealership's advise on the SE255 cams and would have made a better decision.

At any rate, it took over a month and about five attempts for the dealership to get it tuned to run okay. It wasn't until I rode it to Sturgis last year and got in extreme heat that it came to light that the bike ran absolutely horrible in the heat. I finally got around to getting the bike re-tuned, and here are the specs and numbers for comparison.

(Tuner was Jeff Flora at Flora Racing Heads in South Bend, IN

2012 RCC, 103", SE255 cams, SE Heavy Breather A/C, SERT, V&H true duals with monster oval mufflers.

After dealership dyno tune: 83 HP / 102 TQ
After Flora tune: 85 HP / 107.7 TQ

The bike feels like it is running good, but I haven't ridden enough after the tune to gauge fuel mileage and it hasn't been warm enough to see how it acts in heat above 85-deg.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yup a proper tune will make DIFFERENCE on how the biker performs. Looks like your good now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I first bought my bike last year I had the stage 1 stuff done before ever riding the bike. After the initial 500-mile break-in I had the cams added. Had I been a little smarter at the time I would not have taken the dealership's advise on the SE255 cams and would have made a better decision.

At any rate, it took over a month and about five attempts for the dealership to get it tuned to run okay. It wasn't until I rode it to Sturgis last year and got in extreme heat that it came to light that the bike ran absolutely horrible in the heat. I finally got around to getting the bike re-tuned, and here are the specs and numbers for comparison.

2012 RCC, 103", SE255 cams, SE Heavy Breather A/C, SERT, V&H true duals with monster oval mufflers.

The bike feels like it is running good, but I haven't ridden enough after the tune to gauge fuel mileage and it hasn't been warm enough to see how it acts in heat above 85-deg.
What choice of cams would you have made rather than the 255's? I'm doing my research now before I dyno, have 400 miles on it so in a few weeks cams and dyno will take place.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Just remember not to focus solely on the WOT throttle numbers, even though understandably that is what everyone want's to see. Adjusting the a/f for a max effort pull is actually the easy part. If he got the rest of the map right, you will be thrilled with the difference.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What choice of cams would you have made rather than the 255's? I'm doing my research now before I dyno, have 400 miles on it so in a few weeks cams and dyno will take place.
I've been told the 254 cams make a better choice because they don't create as much cylinder pressure, you can get the same power out of them as the 255 cams, and they have a longer power band. I've got no experience with them, so have no way to verify. That is based on what I've been told.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I've been told the 254 cams make a better choice because they don't create as much cylinder pressure, you can get the same power out of them as the 255 cams, and they have a longer power band. I've got no experience with them, so have no way to verify. That is based on what I've been told.
I love my 254e cams. I was worried about fall off, but it rocks right up to redline. I've had the bike in the mountains, in the desert and in the Midwest humidity and the thing just keeps rocking, big smile!

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I have 255 cams and I actually like them over stock. They give me the pull I wanted. There are hundreds of cams for sale. Your seat-of-the-pants reaction is what you're looking for. Everybody has an opinion ant that is mine. :D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SE255 cams definitely make decent power, but they also raise the cylinder pressure too high causing unnecessary heat. My understanding is that the SE254 cams will make just as much power without the extra cylinder pressure thus running a little cooler.

·
Registered
587 Posts
A good tune def makes all the difference. One without the restrictions that you'll get at a dealer. TTS with data runs and tweeking by someone fluent with the software for me every time hands down.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've rode buddies bikes with the 255's and didn't care for them, I have the 254 cams in my bike, def. pulls like the 255's but doesn't fall on its face at 4k! The 255's are for 2 up riding for people who always granny shift, I like to let my bike eat once and a while and gallop to redline. The 254 cams def. have no drop off in power, I love them! Also in a lineup against buddies bikes that have the 255 my bike out runs theirs. My bike put down 90hp and 94lb torque, I'm running CFR pipes so I swap out the pipe for a 2 in 1 I'll def pick up a tad more power but not really concerned about it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've rode buddies bikes with the 255's and didn't care for them, I have the 254 cams in my bike, def. pulls like the 255's but doesn't fall on its face at 4k! The 255's are for 2 up riding for people who always granny shift, I like to let my bike eat once and a while and gallop to redline. The 254 cams def. have no drop off in power, I love them! Also in a lineup against buddies bikes that have the 255 my bike out runs theirs. My bike put down 90hp and 94lb torque, I'm running CFR pipes so I swap out the pipe for a 2 in 1 I'll def pick up a tad more power but not really concerned about it.
Your HP numbers are good but your TQ numbers seem low. My bike dyno'ed at 107.7 TQ (85 HP). I would think your 254 cams would be up in the same range.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Your HP numbers are good but your TQ numbers seem low. My bike dyno'ed at 107.7 TQ (85 HP). I would think your 254 cams would be up in the same range.
I'm running CFR pipes like I mention earlier, I changed them out to something with more backpressure or a 2 into 1 pipe I'd be right up there with #'s

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm also running SE255 cams in my 09 that's been punched out to 103". I had it back to the HD dealer four times to have tune adjusted.They couldn't get it right and never even tried to put it on their dyno just said I would have to live with it the way it was. Running hot and pinging. Hard starting junk. I found a another dealer about two hours away and had them dyno tune it. It still took them two tries but they seemed to get it figured out finally running good now. If I could do it over I wouldn't have gone with the 255 they seem hard to tune. They do run well and pull pretty good but would still pick something else. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm also running SE255 cams in my 09 that's been punched out to 103". I had it back to the HD dealer four times to have tune adjusted.They couldn't get it right and never even tried to put it on their dyno just said I would have to live with it the way it was. Running hot and pinging. Hard starting junk. I found a another dealer about two hours away and had them dyno tune it. It still took them two tries but they seemed to get it figured out finally running good now. If I could do it over I wouldn't have gone with the 255 they seem hard to tune. They do run well and pull pretty good but would still pick something else. Just my opinion.
Yes, the tuning is another big drawback. My dealer played hell trying to get the bike tuned. I lost count of how many times it was there. I finally took it to an independent shop that specializes in dyno tunes and he has done the best job by far, and even he ended up saying these cams are a bitch to tune and there are better options out there.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The tune is a very important piece of the puzzle.
'Going to the power Commander V w/ Autotune, hopefully that will get me out of the tuning (dyno) business

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts