Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The week before SWII I'm going to do my 2012 Epic Adventure ride:

See, here's the deal: In May, 2011 I bought an '08 Street Glide from a friend-of-a-friend; very low miles and very low price. I've had several bikes, and several Harleys (see my sig), but it hit me that in 35 years of riding, I'd never ridden outside of Missouri and Kansas! What a waste. I got busy on the SG, and did a few three-day, 1800 mile solo trips, a seven-day, 3600 mile Epic Adventure with a buddy from work, and in four months, managed to hit 19 states and pile 9000 miles on the beast. It was a very nice bike with long legs, but it just wasn't a Road Glide. Last October I found the '09 SERG and I've put 5000 miles on it so far.

This year I'm riding solo and heading to the southeast, then hook up with Hutmo's Gypsy tour in NOLA for the run up to Shark Week.

The first day will be a banzai run from KC to Lexington, KY on the superslab, then a couple of days doing Nada Tunnel Road, Dragon Tail, Cherohala, and on into NC, then I'm going to hug the coast down south, across FL to Tampa, then up around the Gulf Coast to Nawlins.

(2013 will be West Coast and western Canada, and 2014 will be the Northeast...I hope to have all 48 continental states colored in on my map by then.)

I'm not the kind to stop and take a lot of pictures, I like to ride. But, is there anything I need to Absolutely Make Sure I stop and see along this year's route?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Sounds like some nice ridin'. I, too, don't like to stop for pix. So, I've taken to keeping a small digital camera on a lanyard so I can snap a few without having to stop. Most don't come out - aim or composition or focus issues, but...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Dragon and cherohala/blue ridge parkway are good rides. Stop in cherokee and eat at the pizza inn, do some shoppin, little harley outpost clothes store there and Indian stores.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Get a goPro camera and mount for pictures and video, then you don't have to stop and can have some really great video too.

Oh, got to see stuff... Hmmn....
I guess on you could check out the Possum Monument in Wausau, Florida.

Erected in grateful recognition of the role the North American possum, a magnificent survivor of the marsupial family pre-dating the ages of the mastodon and the dinosaur has played in furnishing both food and fur for the early settlers and their successors. Their presence here has provided a source of nutritious and flavorful food in normal times and has been important aid to human survival in times of distress and critical need.

Nah... I guess you could skip that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, let's see, um, I could head north in the panhandle and see possums, or stay on the beach...riiiight. If I say I saw one (or a hundred) on the road, can I take a pass on the museum?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Living in the beautiful landlocked state of Nebraska...I always enjoy seeing photos of bikes parked with the beach and water in the background...it just looks so right to me. I'd snap a few of those...at least one in each coastal state with something to remind you of the trip in the background. My .02. Enjoy the ride and have a safe journey.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are some really good burboun tours in KY near your route....
Oh, man...if I do a bunch of bourbon tours, I might never make it out of KY! :)

Of course, if I could pick up a bunch of samples and drag them along to SWII, I might be a very popular guy! :eek:

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Oh, man...if I do a bunch of bourbon tours, I might never make it out of KY! :)

Of course, if I could pick up a bunch of samples and drag them along to SWII, I might be a very popular guy! :eek:
I thought of that, because it's so much cheaper here, but I doubt anything I brought would make it past Memphis

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought of that, because it's so much cheaper here, but I doubt anything I brought would make it past Memphis
HA!

It looks like I'll be Pensacola the same time you are, so maybe there'll be a Road Glide convoy into NOLA on the 13th.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you can, plan to pass through Kentucky/Tennessee in the day light hours. I passed through the Smoky Mountains at night while making a 1500 mi trip in two days to Daytona.

I'm also dissappointed I didn't ride the Tail of the Dragon, Deal's Gap Tennessee.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tuned up (SERT tuner), new tires, new fluids, 12" Klock Werks, Danny Gray Butt Crack, chopped Tour Pack (slid back 2" for more arse-space), ulta-swanky shark decals to make me go faster...we're ready to roll! Saturday morning, bright and early, I'll be heading east. Then south. Then west. Then north. Then...well, you get the idea.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From front to back...itching to hit the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts