Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's impressive. What do you think of the new transmission?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
HOLD ON! That is a arm stretcher! DAM!

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I had similar numbers with my 124 and ran stock belt and tranny and never had issues...... I put 30 k on the 124 and the tranny had 50k on it when the 124 was installed.... The 6 speed is a solid unit....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Torque Monster

HP numbers are always impressive.
I spend so little time above 90 mph, I've always been more drawn by Torque numbers.
The 124 looks like the way to go.

My first performance build was in my pre-bagger days. I bought a basket case 1988 Sportster that had suffered a cam drive keyway failure amidst 5k worth of performance add ons. It was a fairly well built 88 cubic inch Axtell, with one slight and destructive oversight.
One intake valve went through a piston crown - and as destructive as this sounds, the milk crates were put up for sale for $1500. I paid cash before the guy changed his mind.

STD heads were ported by Dave Mackie, he agreed to fix them for not a whole lot of money. They had very large Baisley valves and heavy springs to control them. Andrews BV grind .590 lift cams had overloaded the keyed cam drive pinion. We replaced that with the newer splined cam drive. 0.30 cleaned up the Axtell Mountain Motor cylinders, and fitted new pistons. This had a S&S Super G carburetor and pumped out 92 HP, 98 Ft Lb - on a 470 lb stripped down Sportster.

Weight is a big deal on bikes. I recently lost 40 lbs and swear somebody added 10 HP to my Harley. I'm not quite slim, so after then next 50 lbs or so, I'll look at building the motor as a reward. Both work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts