Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 FLTRX, SE 254e cams, SE Heavy Breather, SE Pro Tuner, Vance & Hines Big Radius
Dyno tune and install by local HD dealership
Scoots

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Any idea what the faint line is that maxes out at about 86 hp ( or is that 96 ft-lbs torque?) at 4K rpm? It's kinda flat at 2700 to 4000 or so, then tails off as the rpms increase.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from top:
1st line is final tune torque
2nd line is 1st run torque
3rd line is final tune hp
4th line is 1st run hp
dyno chart is SAE

Not happy with with #'s but I'm OK with them. I suspect the dyno tech at my HD shop is not that experienced, all new faces there. My dyno tune was part of the deal when I bought my bike in March so it had to be done there. I called Doc and wanted to have him tune it but he won't touch a SE Pro Tuner. Rideabilty has improved, definitely can tell the difference in performance and I'm waiting to see if gas mileage is good.

Happy would be 100hp/100tq. Only got a 4hp increase from cam install. I'm probably losing some tq because of my pipes but I've had Thunderheaders the past 15 yrs and I wanted something different on this bike, something purty.

Scoots

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Ah, now that I'm on the Mac I can make out the final torque curve much better, and the first one wasn't even visible on my other crappy monitor. Yeah, seems like you'd expect a little more than a 4 hp bump after all of that. Hope that mpg is better, but then again them V&H pipes are purty!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Those pipes are killin you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2011 RGC/103 with the upgrades listed below, installed... Here is the paper for my tune after the install. It had been running on a canned map for a couple of months or so and although it was running sooo much better than stock, with a tune there could be better performance. Here's the result of dyno tune from HDHD
SE 255's
SE Ventilator AC
SE Tuner
V&H Power Duals
V&H High Output Slipons

Attachments

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
i am no expert but u should get better numbers with a 103

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm no expert either but I do read and research the forums and hang out at some of the dyno tuners whenever I'm in Daytona. Also had a short conversation w/ Doc before I had cams installed and dyno'd.

I figure good pipes are good for ~5hp so that leaves me still missing ~5hp. I think a 103" motor w/ cams, breather, pipes and dyno tune should be low to mid 90's for hp and +100 for tq. I have no idea if or what the HD techs did as far as the dyno tune. A dyno tune can take 4-6 hrs to perform to get it right and produce a custom map. I doubt that much time and effort was put forth on my bike. As far as gas mileage I'm at 1/2 tank showing 100 miles on trip meter. That ain't good but I'll wait to pass judgement on that when I refill the tank. I still have a little throttle lag that I don't like but this is my 1st TBW bike. That being said there isn't much I can do at this point except mull it over and get some of your opinions and comments. Thx.

Also, there is a difference in STD vs SAE dyno charts as some of you probably know.

Scoots

W

·
0 Posts
In my opinion you need to find a better tuner as in person doing the tune.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I think there is something with the dyno, the horsepower and torque lines should cross at 5250 rpm.
They actually do it is just that the scaling is different. Look at the left side compared to the right side. If the scale were set the same they would cross where they should. Having the scaling set diff does not change the numbers and it is fairly common.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Dunno, dude...

Had mine tuned by Doc himself (see Doc's recipie thread,) and your looking like it's laggin' a little.:rolleyes: He doesn't like the Rineharts either, too much flow.

I'm sure it's fun to ride... but mines a BLAST!

As long as your pleased... it's all that matters. The sheet is just numbers on a piece of paper.

:cool:Beavz

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The verdict is in:
Gas mileage before cam - 40+ mpg
Gas mileage after cam install and dyno tune - 28 mpg
That ain't right.

Scoots

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow. Just wow. Mpg problem solved.
Is it common practice to turn off oxygen sensors during a dyno tune? That ain't right.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts